GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,421
1 members and 2,420 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-16-2001, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

How many runners in here??

So who runs in here?? I just started again after slacking off for a year. I was up to about 3 miles before. Now can do alittle over a mile without without really needing to stop. Time to step up to a little longer distance I think.

Whats the farthest some of you have gone?? any marathoners?? Id like to try a couple "races" in spring if Im up to it.

Also, know of any good related websites???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2001, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I love running! I have tho slacked off a bit this semester...ok only been out 3 times!! I was up to 5/hr when I stopped...if you don't have one already, get a heart monitor it's a great help to keep ya going at a good spead

http://www.coolrunning.com/
http://www.runningpage.com/
http://www.runningonline.com/
http://www.running.com/

all decent sites...
Old 12-16-2001, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DGpledge
I too enjoy running! I use to go up to 5 miles, I'm lucky if I can do 2 now! I need to get back into it.

I've done the L.A. marathon a couple times, 26.5 miles, never for time though, just for the sake of doing it....
Old 12-16-2001, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the links!!

I think I am gonna go for 2 tonight, after I get done studying. Im sure my dog will like that, she doesnt even get winded after a mile...
Old 12-16-2001, 10:11 PM
Banned

Not me! Though I am a soccer player, my nickname is turtle. That's what defense is for! ;-)
Old 12-16-2001, 10:28 PM

Thumbs up I Love to Run!

Running 4 or 5 mornings a week is what keeps me sane, I swear! It is the only time of the day I really have to myself; where I can just put my brain on auto-pilot and just go.

I run between 4 and 5 miles when I go, on a nice, soft track that is kind to my old knees. I also have a personal quest that I am going for; to run 1 1/2 miles in under 10 minutes. I time myself once a week and when I did it day before yesterday I was down to 10:06. Close, but no cigar!
Old 12-16-2001, 11:37 PM

I used to run in high school... I did a decent 400m until my coach decided to make me into a long distance runner. (We got a lot of sprinters that year.) I ran a 3000m once and barely finished... walked the last lap After that I was only asked to run the 400m and 800m.

Stopped running in college though. These days, I walk or bike, strictly for exercise.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
I used to run quite a bit in my day. LOL....back in high school. I was a sprinter for our high school team. Was never very good with long distances though, but my best race was the 400m by far. Though, I'm scared to run now. I had a serious injury my senior year in high school that basically blew my scholarship and any chances of running in college .

d
Old 12-17-2001, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
training for a marathon here!

I ran a 10K Saturday morning-- the Marina/Venice Holiday run. Ran it in just under an hour-- about 56 minutes.

Ran a 5K a few weeks ago. 29 minutes hungover. LOL

Am training to run the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon on June 2, 2002.

Right now I am only running about 3-5 miles 2-3 times a week. Will be stepping that up after the holidays--aiming to get in a 10 mile weekend run every weekend in January--then up it to 13 miles in Feb, etc until I am marathon ready.

I find the 1st two miles of any run the most difficult, am just hating it at that point--but once I cross the 2 mile mark, I seem to hit my stride, am not winded anymore and can go on for as long as time allows. The farthest I've run so far is about 8 miles. I've only been running for about 2 months.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

umm, no.

I run if chased.

Thats about it.

Seriously tho, I am a really bad asthmatic, so I areobic exercise is a touchy issue for me, its about building up. I can weight train no prob, but areobics is another issue. I can swim, i.e, lifesaver thing, but thats about it. This summer i statrted jogging, and got up to 1 mile which was a huge accomplishment. I then ran outta time to exercise (the 10 lbs I gained is proof) but I wanna start up again, I just can only adda lap a week. Gets frustrtating that I cant push myself faster and further than that. Oh well, dont wanna end up in the ER...
Old 12-17-2001, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
lifesaver-

I have asthma too. I run with my inhaler tucked into my waistband--and definitely some runs are worse than others as far as me sucking on the damn thing. But my trainer/running coach has taken my asthma into consideration in my training schedule, and I do most of my training indoors on a treadmill which helps tremendously... gotta love that filtered air thing! lol I run outdoors once a week--this time of year tends to be worse for my allergies and asthma than the summer----running at the beach seems to work better for me than in the city--and I also fare way better in San Diego's climate than in L.A.'s (yes folks, there IS a difference!)--so I am hopeful that I will get thru the marathon without any major asthma attacks.

Amy
Old 12-17-2001, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont think I will be in marathon condition for quite some time, but I would like to try some 5ks and maybe a 10K sometime next year. I would like to be alteast 1/2 assed competitive, and finish top half of the field.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a runner, but I am a sprinter, always hated running long distance, if I have to I'll do it, but if I don't have to , then nada, nothing over 2 miles. But my coach swears next year, I'll be running 5miles
DGPhoney~
Old 12-18-2001, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
I run when I can. I try to do at least 5 miles 3 times a week, but usually stick to around 8 miles. My splits are pretty miserable, but I'm going to try to get them where they need to be sometime in the next year or so. I really want to do a marathon (Chi-town, maybe?) to try to beat my brother who runs them. Every 5K I've ever run I've always finished right at 19:00 which isn't bad at all, really. I slaughtered my brother in that, and usually when I get done with 8, I know I could go infinitely farter cause I'm not really that terribly tired, so I think with some practice I could beat him in it. Unfortunately he runs a shit-load more than I do, and I drink like 600% more beer a day than he does, which hardly helps.

Running is cool, and if you couldn't guess by now..in soccer....I was the central midfielder.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 12-18-2001, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I'm with lifesaver... I only run if someone is chasing me.

Actually, I enjoy walking as a form of exercise more than running. Less strain on my legs that way. I also use my ab-sizer and my stair master for workouts. However, I've gotten out of my routine because I've been so busy lately.

Hopefully, after the holidays, I'll be able to do more. I've asked my boyfriend to fix up my old bike as a Christmas present (it needs new tires and some general maintenance after sitting in the basement for several years) so I'm looking forward to riding my bike again, too!