GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,244
0 members and 1,244 guests
No Members online

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Alumnae Involvement: What are you doing now?

I just wanted to see what the different alumnae on GC are involved with at their GLOs.

That, and I'm bored at home sick from my job and am bored.

Are you active in your alumnae chapter?
Are you an advisor?
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp?
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer?
Are you a national officer of some sort?
Something else?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not active in a chapter yet because I badly need to focus on my academics so that I can get to the "real world" asap. Right now I pay dues, help with recruitment, and help with any other event if they need it. I'm on the same campus I graduated from, and because that was only a year ago I still know at least half the chapter and can be around to help when they need it.

I would love to be an adviser one day, but my organization stipulates being out 5 years to advise your own chapter and 3 for another, so I don't qualify yet anyway, and can't take on other commitments until I get out of school.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 09-15-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? Yes.
Are you an advisor? HELL TO THE NAWWWW.
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? What's that? If it has to do with an alumnae chapter house, we do not have a house. Some NPHC alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters have houses.
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? No.
Are you a national officer of some sort? No.
Something else? Committees and membership intake.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Are you an advisor? HELL TO THE NAWWWW.

LOL. I understand. Advising can be a little intense for some people. All the interaction with collegians and being so focused on them/what they're doing is not everyone's cup of tea.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? No - live too far away, but I try to get to a few things a year.
Are you an advisor? I was in the mid 90s for 4 years.
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? Technically, any initiated sister is, but I am working with my undergraduate chapter on a special project.
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? Yes - I'm a standing committee chair for the entire fraternity, so I report directly to our President and work hand in hand with IHQ staff and other volunteers on things that are directly related to my committee's charge. Prior to this role, I was a Province Director for 9 years and then served on the Ritual Committee for 2.
Are you a national officer of some sort? no
Something else? In Alpha Gam land we can be awarded the Honors of Epsilon Pi - given for faithful and continued service to the fraternity at any level. This honor is akin to a badge guard, and in fact takes the place of our chapter name guard once awarded. It starts with the Arc, which is given for 5 years of service, followed by the Arc with Diamond, Arc with Diamonds, Arc with Diamonds and Pearl, Arc with Diamonds and Pearls - each given for a minimum of 6 years service after the last Arc received [so if you wear the Arc with Diamonds and Pearls, you have been volunteering for at least 29 years]. I currently wear the Arc with Diamond, which means I have at least 11 consecutive years volunteer service since graduation [I actually have 18 years - amazing!].

Some of my dearest friends I have met through this service to the fraternity [including AGDee!] and there's no way I could have known in college that I would still be doing this now, nor how these skills that I've learned would help me in my day to day life. While I thoroughly enjoyed my collegiate years, I wouldn't trade my alumnae service for anything.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? Yes!
Are you an advisor? I was in the late 80s/early 90s-5 years
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? TI was a house association board member when I was an advisor to my collegiate chapter
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? Yes - I am an Area Coordinator, overseeing our alumnae and collegiate chapters in part of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and part of Michigan. They recently changed the number of "Areas" we have. Prior to that change, I had collegiate chapters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New York and Massachusetts. This is my 6th year as an Area Coordinator. Before that, I was a Province Director for 6 years and served on the Finance Committee for 5 years before that. I've been around the block a few times I have been a continuous volunteer since January, 1988.
Something else? (Borrowing from Doctor D here): In Alpha Gam land we can be awarded the Honors of Epsilon Pi - given for faithful and continued service to the fraternity at any level. This honor is akin to a badge guard, and in fact takes the place of our chapter name guard once awarded. It starts with the Arc, which is given for 5 years of service, followed by the Arc with Diamond, Arc with Diamonds, Arc with Diamonds and Pearl, Arc with Diamonds and Pearls - each given for a minimum of 6 years service after the last Arc received [so if you wear the Arc with Diamonds and Pearls, you have been volunteering for at least 29 years]. I currently wear the Arc with Diamonds, which means I have at least 17 consecutive years volunteer service since graduation [I actually have 22 years].

Like DoctorD, some of my closest friends are Alpha Gams from all over the country who I have become close to through the years as a volunteer. I was chatting on FB with my first college boyfriend (TKE) on Tuesday night and told him I was so glad I'd gone out with him because HE was the one who inspired me to go through rush. I told him I have no idea who I would be today and what I'd have done all these years without my Alpha Gamma Delta sisters because Alpha Gam is so tightly integrated into my life.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This will be my fifth year as a recruitment advisor and I love it! I am a member of the local alumnae association as well, but am not very active since I spend so much time working with the chapter.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? yes, I keep our FB page up to date and I am "helping" with our luncheon. I am a past president.
Are you an advisor? was in the past. at 2 JWH chapters
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? no way, I am horrible with money
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? was a "team" chair for recruitment, sent to train/monitor chapters, train consultants, served on colonization teams.
Are you a national officer of some sort? no way
Something else?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Q: Are you active in your alumnae chapter?
A: Yes, both. intermittently, of course, as much as my health allows. I pay dues to both, no matter how "active" I am that particular year. I attend meetings, service/philanthropy, and social events whenever possible.

Q: Are you an adviser?
A: My Gamma Sig collegiate chapter is inactive.
My Alpha Xi chapter just got a new adviser, and I hope to assist her on some level. Again, as my health allows.

Q: Are you part of a chapter's housing corp?
A: No house at my collegiate chapter, of AXiD but recently donated some items to the chapter room on campus. I was really excited to be able to give the girls some stuff that they can really use, and that will last a long time.

Q: Are you a regional/province/whatever officer?
A: No.

Q: Are you a national officer of some sort?
A: No.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I think I filled this out on another thread once, but I figured my info might need updating anyway...

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? Yup, I'm the current President. We don't to a whole lot, but try and get together at least every-other month, in addition to helping with Recruitment, Founders Day, and holding a brunch in the spring for Senior collegiates.
Are you an advisor? Yup, local university (UW-Madison) Membership Advisor.
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? I don't believe I'm a voting member (only one advisor is) but I try and attend these, too. I have been a member in the past, anyway.
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? Nope
Are you a national officer of some sort? Nope
Something else? Helped establish a local Alumnae Panhellenic, and am the GPB representative to it. And, you know, overall greek nerd and greekchatter

TEII
Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaptergphib View Post
Helped establish a local Alumnae Panhellenic, and am the GPB representative to it. And, you know, overall greek nerd and greekchatter
In Madison?

If so, I LOVE the alumnae brunch you do with the collegiates every year. It's always nice to go and see alumnae from ALL the sororities, not just mine.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? There isn't one anywhere near me. We're working on getting one here.

Are you an advisor? Yes

Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? There's not one around here.

Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? No

Are you a national officer of some sort? I'm a national volunteer

Something else? I attended a conference about young alumnae involvement a few years ago. It was very motivating, but being in an area with one small chapter that doesn't really want outside help, it's been hard to stay involved. I advise for a chapter 2 hours away and would love to do more. I'm always asking for more to do!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I just started my term as Secretary for my alumnae association. I'm on House Board for a local chapter (not my own), but I'm really not crazy about it. I know they need the help, so I'll stay on for the time being.

I was recently asked to advise for a position that means a lot to me, and I'm about 80% sure I'll do it. I have to talk to the woman who asked me to get more details and ask a few questions. I should know in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? yes
Are you an advisor? no
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? no
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? no
Something else?
I am currently serving on both a National and a District team. I am also on my university's Greek Alumni Advisory Board as the ASA rep.

Last edited by RaggedyAnn; 09-15-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
Are you active in your alumnae chapter? yes
Are you an advisor? no
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? no
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? no
Something else?
I am currently serving on both a National and a District team. I am also on my university's Greek Alumni Advisory Board as the ASA rep.
When you answer my pm - can you tell me about this? Like, did the Greek alums go ahead and do it themselves or did the Greek advisor do it? We theoretically have one but no one ever hears anything about it.