GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,360
1 members and 2,359 guests
Tridentia

Old 12-27-2004, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas version of Praxis

Here in Texas, Praxis I is called THEA (Texas Higher Education Assessment). It's the same as Praxis and just as evil. I'm trying to get into an alternative certfication program and had to take the THEA. I got my scores today: reading- 247 (17 points above the minimun) writing-240 (20 points above the minimun,plus I got a 6 out of 8 on my writing sample) math-226 (4 points below the minimum I totally guessed on this part)

I'm going to see if I can get the math part waved since I have a B in a math class. But I'm totally excited. Waiting for the scores was the worst part.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
So I signed up for another Praxis exam.

I'll be taking Earth Science content knowledge in Jan.

Anyone else taking more praxis-es (praxi?) exams?

I'm probably going to break down and take the Praxis I in March.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
Hey I have a question about the Praxis. My science teacher last semester told the class that the Praxis is changing and we will now have to take a different test. He said that we had until a certain date to take the old one. I don't know if this is only for kentucky but if not does anyone know what the deadline is? I am worried because I missed the deadline for the January test and I am going to take it in March. Any info you have would be great! Thanks

Anne Marie
Old 01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
So I signed up for another Praxis exam.

I'll be taking Earth Science content knowledge in Jan.

Anyone else taking more praxis-es (praxi?) exams?
good luck on the Praxis this Saturday! Most of my friends will be taking the praxis this weekend so i'll include you in my thoughts in addition to them! I was lucky and decided to get a head start
Old 01-09-2005, 06:08 PM

Another Praxis down!!!

I HOPE that was the last one that I will EVER have to take.

I wanted to scream in the middle of the test because 60% was about rocks, 35% were earthquakes, and 5% was other. I HATE rocks, and am not to found of earthquakes either. It didn't seem like a fair test, IMHO. Its supposed to test a broad range of earth science stuff, not just 2 and go with it.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 PM

bump

did anyone else take the jan test?
i still haven't gotten my scores, and they were supposed to be sent out 2/8
Old 02-15-2005, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
i didn't take it but several of my friends did. The scores will be late because of the bad weather in January. They weren't even available over the phone until the 10th, so I'm assuming you should recieve your scores in the next couple days.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:20 PM

i got my scores- and i passed with flying colors!!

So now with 4 tests down, i can teach 2 science subjects in new jersey. doesn't seem fair, does it?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

So, it looks like I'm going to be taking either PRAXIS II (English Language, Literature and Composition: Content Knowledge) or PLACE (which is specifially for Colorado). I doubt anyone here knows much, if anything, about PLACE since it's limited to this state -- but if anyone does, I'd love to hear it since I'm not sure which test I should take.

Anyway, I've been out of college for a while, so I haven't done anything related to English studies for years and don't remember much. Can anyone recommend a good study guide so I can prepare? I really have no idea where to start.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:55 PM

some PRAXIS tests have study guides created for them that you can buy from ETS.
none of mine did, so i bought an AP study guide and it worked nicely.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I just took the PRAXIS II, and I'm waiting for my scores...cross your fingers for me 'cause this'll determine whether or not I get to go to grad school!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDChiNicole Send a message via Yahoo to KDChiNicole
My boyfriend just took the Praxis I a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, at Cornell, you are required to take it in order to get into the ed department, and we also require some of the highest scores in the state.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
I had to take all parts of the Praxis to graduate from college in Louisiana as a certified teacher!!

Praxis I was super simple. Aced that.

Praxis II was simple to me as well. I had to take Secondary Social Studies interpretation of materials and content knowledge. Also the the Professional Development part for Secondary. I never had to take either part over and never studied. However out of the 42 people who did student teaching with me only 42 passed the requirments. I Just think some people are not test takers.

When I relocated to Texas I had to take the Excet in Social Studies composite and Professional part passed both of those first time around but it was harder than praxis to me.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Praxis I was a breeze!! Could have done that in my sleep.

Praxis II Don't make me go there!!! I've got some serious issues re those two Special Ed tests.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 08-07-2005, 06:53 AM

It doesn't sound as though anyone is from Pennsylvannia, or the requirements for Praxis and such are different from school to school but I am almost postive they are standardized.

We have to the Praxis 1 after we have been accepted into the program usually the summer before your sophmore year (give you time to fail and retake before absolutley needed it THANKGOD I PASSED). Then inorder to continue in the major and take your PDS courses (Profossional Development school) where you teach in a classroom and take ridiculous course load of classes you must take your Praxis II and pass if you take them and fail you will not be able to continue in those classes until you have produced passing scores. It sucks because by the time you PDS you have no other classes left the following semester you will student teach and then take your PRAXIS III so that you can be teacher certified.

This test is crazy thank God I Passed them. I know people who have failed and had to leave school b/c all they needed to do was student teach and they had to graduated a semester late because they had no other classes to take