GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,309
3 members and 1,306 guests
AlwaysSAI, chironthearcher

Old 03-24-2004, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy I completely bombed a very important test

I don't even know if this is possible. But I studied harder than I ever have for any test before... I made sure I could work the problems and knew the material, and I am about 99.99% sure I failed my Project Management exam.

The profs exams are not multiple choice.. essay only (with a couple of problems to work out).. they are timed (2 hours). Basically broken down to 2 small essay questions, 2 problems to work out, and one big essay question worth double the points of the other questions.

I did pretty good on the first one.. I scored an 80. And I figured I would do OK since I had one of those tests under my belt and I studied so hard.

I failed.

I drew a complete blank when I got the test and I went into panic mode.

I answered the essays with the little information that I could remember, and I finished one of the two problems (although I'm not sure if I did it right). And needless to say I walked home crying yesterday.

After one of the girls made me feel better, I called my mom.. and surprise, I cried again.

I don't know what went wrong. I prepared for it during spring break and I KNEW my stuff

Now I'm really scared. It's too late to drop the course, and even if I could, I'm supposed to graduate next semester, and I don't think I could handle another class on my already full schedule if I have to retake it.

I've heard horror stories about this happening, but up until now it had never happened before (to me at least) and now I don't know what to do.

I think maybe part of it is because I have 5 tests in a span of 1.5 weeks.. and even though I am not taking part in sorority stuff this week and next, I still feel so overwhelmed

I'm not sure what to do (if anything) to salvage my project management grade. I hate to feel like I am settling, but I just really want a C in this class so I don't have to retake it. I'm not so sure that is going to happen though.

My mom & my friends say I should talk to the prof about it, but I don't think he will do much to help me? He figures it's a senior level class and extra credit was something we did when we were freshmen.

I'm really scared and don't know what to do
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2004, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

honestly, I'm going to agree with the suggestion to talk to the prof. I've found that when things aren't going so well, even the ones who are usually total jerks can show a bit of sympathy and help you out. and be sure to throw in that you need to graduate next semester... that usually helps your cause, from what I've found.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Talk with your professor and explain your situation. 5 exams in 1.5 weeks?? Sheesh, that's a lot of information to retain, and I understand how you drew a blank during exam time. Hopefully he'll be sympathetic and try to work something out with you.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, breathe deep! You have no idea how many other people blew the test, too. I once took a test that NO ONE in the class did well on, and one woman cried all through it!!

Talk to the professor, see how you can make up for the test. If you keep your cool, he'll appreciate your honesty & maturity. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

update.. advice needed

I set up an appointment to talk to the professor about this weeks's exam. I meet with him next Tuesday.

Yesterday and today I found out through several classmates that at least 8 people in class cheated on the exam. Big time.

I guess it would be pretty easy to cheat on those tests, because the way one of the cheaters explained to me, the prof doesn't check our stack of paper that we bring in to write on.. so he hid notes in his stack.

A girl who sits next to me said she noticed 2 people with their notes on the floor...

The prof doesn't really look up at all when we are testing.. he is doing his own thing... and when I learned all this it just made me really angry.

My grade is basically based on how everyone else answers. The prof reads all the Question 1 answers and grades them best to worst basically. So if all the cheaters made stellar grades, I am stuck failling because I couldn't remember half of the stuff they were reading off of.

I'm so angry right now I can't even type.

So now that I know this I'm stuck with the decision if I should tell the professor or not that several people were cheating. I want to because it directly affects me, and that is not cool. On the other hand, I don't want to be a kindergarten tattletale.

Any advice please?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I'm picturing the flames as I post this, but...

What about schools' Honor Code? Doesn't anyone take it seriously anymore?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
This is *my* personal opinion....but I definitely think you need to tell the professor.

Out of how many in your class, at least eight people cheated on the exam (now, coming from my university experience, that'd be almost half the entire class!). It's not fair to the others in your class (including you) who studied their tails off for this exam and possibly would not score higher than those who did cheat on the exam (saying that they probably got lower grades on that first question than did the cheaters)....therefore, it's unfair to you and your fellow classmates to have your exam score based upon the cheaters' answers to the questions.

Everyone hates being *the tattletale*. Is there a way to anonymously inform the professor of the cheating that occured? The reason I ask is the university that I went to had an honor code that we had to write and sign on EVERYTHING we turned in....therefore, if anyone cheated, plagarized, etc, they'd be brought up in front of honor council, either by a professor who suspected that cheating had occured, or by a student who reported knowledge of said cheating. I know not all universities work this way, but if there's an anonymous way to inform your professor of the knowledge of cheating, that clears you of being the tattletale.

Best of luck, t*p! I'll be thinking of you next Tuesday and I hope it all works out for you!

L&L,
Jennie

ETA: Honey, you and I must think alike!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Arnette, UNT has an honor code. It is agreed to every year by every student when they pay their tuition. It is also restated on every sylibus. I can almost bet it is at the bottom of your profs.

You should already have an appointment to discuss your grade. I think this is a perfect time to discuss the people not being honorable. If you don't want to be a tattletale, then don't mention names. You can get your point accross without mentioning names. If the prof believes you, as I think he will, then he might administer a pop test. This might be your saving grace, if that makes sense.

You studied hard and deserve to be rewarded for the time you put in. The other students shouldn't. And the fact that this is a senior level class only infuriates me. They should know better. They should care more. The should be more respectable and honorable. They aren't setting good examples for the type of people soon to graduate and be in America's work force. ARGH!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Arnette, I'd turn them in, and if the prof does nothing about the cheating, go see the dean. We aren't allowed to bring our own scratch paper for this very reason.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd tell the prof about classmates cheating. If there's an honor code to abide by, then there's an honor code to abide by, and there's no excuse for their behavior. Also, I've heard of several honor codes that also state if a student knows about someone else breaking the honor code, they must report it.

I don't think I'd go in there saying "These people cheated and it's not fair to my grade." You'll look like you're using an excuse for your performance. I'd simply tell him what you saw and what you were told. Let him interpret it or ask questions.

I would definitely be prepared to prove to the prof that you know the material. That's what they're testing anyway, and we all get hit with test anxiety at some point or another. If you know the material, you know the material. If he asks you some questions about the material be ready to discuss it. If he does that and you do well, then he might be willing to adjust your grade or give you another shot.

And if he gives a pop test in response to the cheating, match your reaction to everyone else in the class. If you look like you were expecting it, it makes you look suspicious to the classmates. Don't get me wrong, in my head I would be thinking "Should've followed the code, you little weazels!!", but I would put on the face along with everyone else. Just don't overreact.

And that's my rambling for the day!
PsychTau
Old 03-25-2004, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau
I'd tell the prof about classmates cheating. If there's an honor code to abide by, then there's an honor code to abide by, and there's no excuse for their behavior. Also, I've heard of several honor codes that also state if a student knows about someone else breaking the honor code, they must report it.

PsychTau
I know all military academies honor codes are like that: if you know cheating occurred, did not participate in it, but failed to report it, you are in just as much trouble as those who did cheat.

I agree - talk to the professor about the cheating - it's YOUR grade on the line as a consequence, since it appears he curved grades - you therefore are at an unfair disadvantage.

If the professor will not do anything about the teaching, then it's off to the dean's office. Believe me, a prof that does nothing about cheating, that gets referred to the dean, who then finds it DID occur, will have a lot to answer for.

It's not fun. It's not easy. It's not popular. But, it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

For what it's worth, I agree- your professor should know what's going on. BUT, when you're talking to him, don't use it as an excuse as to why you failed (*NOTE* I did NOT think you were implying this in what you said- just make sure the professor doesn't think you're implying it either). I have found through the years that when I start placing blame elsewhere it does no good. Likewise, when I hear others blame everyone else but themselves it does not make me have sympathy. I have gotten out of more scrapes by saying, "I messed up. Can you help me fix this?"

So go in there with a humble attitude, show him your study outline or what you studied when, ask how to modify it for future tests, ask if there are any opportunities for extra credit, a re-take, or oral exam. Show him you're willing to go the distance to make a better grade. Then you can work in the allegations about the other students- because remember, you didn't actually see them cheating (at least that's the way I understood it when I read your comments).

One time I was failing a class that was called, "English Literature Before Burns." It was awful- on the test he would give us one line from a Shakespeare sonnet & we'd have to write in the # of the sonnet. (Hello- what does that teach anyone??) I was defeated before I began- I knew I couldn't memorize all 100+ sonnets. Anyway, I went in & had a talk with him, explained how I know Shakespeare influences our lives today, gave several examples, demonstrated I have an appreciation for the literature of that time, told him about my trips to Stratford-Upon-Avon and so on. He ended up giving me a passing grade that I truly did not earn, but he could see I got the "spirit" of the class, I just did not ever pass any of those wretched tests.

Anyway, the point is that sometimes professors do listen & have sympathy.

This whole situation makes you feel horrible and scared probably. Good luck on Tues and let us know how it goes. Here are some hugs for you!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ T*P}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

L&L,
WLFEO
Old 03-25-2004, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Even through what the cheaters did was morally wrong, don't feel that you're being a tattletale by blowing the whistle on them. Their "perfect" score has lowered yours. Why should they get a high grade and you get a low grade? Why should you feel like you're in the wrong for taking a low grade that should've been a high grade, if it wasn't for them messing up the curve?

Square your shoulder, take a deep breath. Walk in there and tell your professor, "I have something to tell you that upsets me greatly. There was cheating going on in your classroom and it angers me because thanks to all the students who cheated their way to a perfect score, the curve was set off-balance, and my grade has unfairly suffered for it. That is not right and it is against our university honor code to cheat. I believe we need to retake the exam and have stronger exam proctoring in place to ensure that all students have a fair chance. I also believe that this is a matter that needs to be taken up with the Dean, as we have a clear policy regarding cheating. I will NOT allow my hard work to suffer because of the unethical behavior of some of my classmates."

Be assertive. Don't be submissive. In the real world, we'd chalk this up to an issue of business ethics-- and there are consequences for unethical behavior. Enron, anyone?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I DEFINITELY think you should turn them in; however, you need to make sure that the other students you spoke with who saw the actual cheating are willing to come forward. Did you see the students cheating? If you actually didn't see it, then it's hearsay coming from you personally. However, if you can take one or all of the witnesses in to your appointment with you (or mention to the professor that they are willing to speak to him about it), then you have proof.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
I know all military academies honor codes are like that: if you know cheating occurred, did not participate in it, but failed to report it, you are in just as much trouble as those who did cheat.

It's not fun. It's not easy. It's not popular. But, it's the right thing to do.
I dont' ever recall having an "honor code" in college, but I knew damn well that cheating = failing grade or dismissal! EVERYone knows that! Everyone INCLUDING those who engage in cheating!

I agree wiht LXAAlum, if you don't tell the prof what you know, you are in collusion with them, and therefore just as guilty.

There's already a lot of good advice here, this is just my .02!

Loyally,