GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,194
1 members and 1,193 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-14-2008, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm new to all this

I am serious about coming to North America to pursue a career in military medicine, and I have a great interest in studying medicine in an American university.
I am currently living in Britain and I am 16 years old so I need to start considering my options about a university placement next year. But I also think the Greek System is nothing short of brilliant as it instills in to many young men the idea of brotherhood and teamwork that are vital skills to become a good person in future life. However this system is regrettably lacking in UK universities.
I was wondering that me being British, would i be even considered for a placement in a fraternity or would i get shunned away because I would be new to the culture.
In my last public exams I came fourth in my whole year group of about 200 teenagers this year, I play county field hockey which I imagine would be similar to someone playing for their state, i am also 12th in the UK for U18s tennis. With my high school I also participate in a lot of voluntary work where i go to a homeless shelter regularly and help in the soup kitchens. i consider myself to be a social person who gets along with everyone.
Thanks for any replies
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd think you'd be fine, not excluded because of where you're from, but I'm not in a fraternity. :P
Old 06-14-2008, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil UK View Post
I am serious about coming to North America to pursue a career in military medicine, and I have a great interest in studying medicine in an American university.
I am currently living in Britain and I am 16 years old so I need to start considering my options about a university placement next year. But I also think the Greek System is nothing short of brilliant as it instills in to many young men the idea of brotherhood and teamwork that are vital skills to become a good person in future life. However this system is regrettably lacking in UK universities.
I was wondering that me being British, would i be even considered for a placement in a fraternity or would i get shunned away because I would be new to the culture.
In my last public exams I came fourth in my whole year group of about 200 teenagers this year, I play county field hockey which I imagine would be similar to someone playing for their state, i am also 12th in the UK for U18s tennis. With my high school I also participate in a lot of voluntary work where i go to a homeless shelter regularly and help in the soup kitchens. i consider myself to be a social person who gets along with everyone.
Thanks for any replies
At least in the South, being British is a plus in my opinion. Now if you were French, or some other European you might have more trouble but Brits are generally acceptable.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil UK View Post
Thanks for any replies
We had an Aussie Brother as well as one whose parents where from Iran!
Both brought a great deal to the house and Brotherhood.
We also had one or two pre-meds and while they took part, they did have to pick and choose just when and where to help out.
Which also was never a problem.

Last edited by jon1856; 06-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
At least in the South, being British is a plus in my opinion. Now if you were French, or some other European you might have more trouble but Brits are generally acceptable.
Yup, there was a British guy going through rush here that all the top houses wanted, but then he decided not to take any bids since he was only in the US for 3 semesters.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sisters was from Scotland and we all thought it was cool...in fact, it was a great "selling" point to show diversity...When I see GLOs with people from other countries-I think..that's awesome!!! Best of luck!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Oh, and the girls will swoooooon over your accent!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

ooooh aces haha
Old 06-15-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Im not in a fraternity as of yet, but i think you should be fine. Yes its true about the girls. i had a friend in high school that was from England, and he was very well liked, especially with all the ladies! You'll be in good shape my friend!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffootball37 View Post
Im not in a fraternity as of yet, but i think you should be fine.
Remember UTLONGHORN, thats what I thought, don't think.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
Remember UTLONGHORN, thats what I thought, don't think.
sorry. Wont happen again.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My son's pledge class has a guy from England. I met him at Old South, he seemed like a good guy with a great (and British) sense of humor, a great addition to the fraternity. I'm not sure if he went to summer stuff or not, maybe just at his orientation. But, he definitely didn't have a problem with rushing.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
My son's pledge class has a guy from England. I met him at Old South, he seemed like a good guy with a great (and British) sense of humor, a great addition to the fraternity. I'm not sure if he went to summer stuff or not, maybe just at his orientation. But, he definitely didn't have a problem with rushing.
Alot of study-abroad students stay on campus during the summer.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-16-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffootball37 View Post
sorry. Wont happen again.
Good pledge, now go do my laundry