GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,448
0 members and 1,448 guests
No Members online

Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

It is bizarre and pretty worthless. Wow, I wanna join the sorority with the most Facebook fans and twitter followers! AOII has ~112 active chapters not 191, btw.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I can't believe that they ranked the top 25 of 26 NPC sororities.
I'm not in a good spot to compare lists...who got left off?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Kappa Sigma was apparently left off of the fraternity list. Maybe because they left the NIC?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Kappa Sigma was apparently left off of the fraternity list. Maybe because they left the NIC?
But there are many more fraternities than sororities. It's pretty shitty to rank them to begin with, but even more so to make a list of the top 25 out of 26. Also, the fraternity list included NPHC, but not the sorority list.

Last edited by amIblue?; 08-07-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But there are many more fraternities than sororities. It's pretty shitty to rank them to begin with, but even more so to make a list of the top 25 out of 26. Also, the fraternity list included NPHC, but not the sorority list.
Since Kappa Sigma was expanded, I can only assume the first list was taken from NIC groups only, of which some NPHC groups belong to, e.g., Alpha Phi Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi (not sure about the rest).

I don't think it's shitty to rank at all. Ranking tells us where we are with respect to the competition and helps us to know what parts of the organization should be looked at for improvement, etc.

That's only, of course, if the rankings are based on facts which the organizations care about. I can't imagine an NIC convention where national officers and delegates are bragging about the number of brothers in Congress. For that matter, I can't imagine bragging about any association with anyone in Congress right now, but I digress.

These are clearly just-for-fun rankings, not meant to be taken seriously. I did enjoy the fact that Sigma Nu came in at #5, which is just about where we come in when ranking things like # of chapters and average chapter size.

I'd really like to see someone compile a ranking using meaningful criteria and can definitely see the use in such an exercise.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, the fraternity list included NPHC, but not the sorority list.
That's because, with the exception of Omega Psi Phi, the NPHC fraternities are also members of the NIC.

That sidesteps the underlying assumption of the lists -- that "fraternity" means NIC and "sorority" means NPC.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyanchored View Post
True, but these are still large amounts of money. However, they should certainly state more clearly that it does neglect locally donated funds. That is definitely misleading on their part.

Absolutely. For KD, foundation funds are separate from other funds raised by the chapter. All of the money raised by the Shamrock Project is sent to a local children's charity (80%) and to Prevent Child Abuse America (20%). Those funds don't pass through the foundation, as far as I know.

That ignores a lot of money coming from our efforts. Every chapter is required to do a Shamrock Project event and most of them raise thousands of dollars.

I'm sure it's the same for other GLOs.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

They pulled those numbers from the public 990 tax returns for the foundations (C 3's)of the GLOs. So any donations that don't go thru their foundations would be on another return. The C 7 returns are not that easy to get. And they would have to search thru each chapter as in most cases they are sub sets of the national C 7.
It's complicated.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I still maintain that ranking sororities by twitter and Facebook is shitty. FWIW, my sorority was 3rd.

Last edited by amIblue?; 08-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

And mine was second and I also agree that twitter and FB are not reasonable measures of most anything!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh. This schlock is starting to trickle down the newswire.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/31337091/detail.html
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
People Read Rankings

A very good response from the NIC:

http://www.nicindy.org/blog/why-the-...-fraternities/
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't think it's shitty to rank at all. Ranking tells us where we are with respect to the competition and helps us to know what parts of the organization should be looked at for improvement, etc.
There are many things in life that can be ranked, but I don't believe that Greek organizations should be. What's the point? Not everyone is meant to join every organization. It's not like sports, where everyone's goal is to win games. Different organizations have different goals and appeal to different types of people.

And with these types of rankings, I just think it creates, in some cases, unrealistic goals for young men and women, and can point them in the wrong direction.

Quote:
I'd really like to see someone compile a ranking using meaningful criteria and can definitely see the use in such an exercise
Really? What good do you see this doing?

Let's face it - for the most part, the groups that "win" have the most members and donate the most to charity. How else do you compare them?

"Oh, but you don't understand.. our symbol is the crown, and kings wear crowns! Lowly fisherman use anchors," or, "Well, you see, in a fight, I think a panda bear would CLEARLY take down a giraffe or a turtle. And don't even get me started on those damn squirrels. What do they even DO anyway?"

@~/~~~~
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
There are many things in life that can be ranked, but I don't believe that Greek organizations should be. What's the point? Not everyone is meant to join every organization. It's not like sports, where everyone's goal is to win games. Different organizations have different goals and appeal to different types of people.

And with these types of rankings, I just think it creates, in some cases, unrealistic goals for young men and women, and can point them in the wrong direction.

Really? What good do you see this doing?

Let's face it - for the most part, the groups that "win" have the most members and donate the most to charity. How else do you compare them?

"Oh, but you don't understand.. our symbol is the crown, and kings wear crowns! Lowly fisherman use anchors," or, "Well, you see, in a fight, I think a panda bear would CLEARLY take down a giraffe or a turtle. And don't even get me started on those damn squirrels. What do they even DO anyway?"
LOL...if you can get it to stop eating bamboo for two seconds!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!