GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,062
2 members and 1,060 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

OLE MISS RECRUITMENT!

hi!
i will be a freshman at ole miss this fall, and i know that i want to rush, but am kind of clueless as to what they're looking for.
what are the most desirable sororities there?
what tips can you give me for rushing at ole miss?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont go to Ole Miss so I cant answer your second question but i DO know that each sorority is different at different schools and no one can answer your first question because that differs from person to person and school to school. in order to have a successful recruitment, all PNMs must keep an open mind
Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Scroll down, there are a lot of threads on it. And I didn't go to Ole Miss either, but from what I've read here, it sounds like you need to get started on prepping!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

There really isn't an answer to your first question because all nine sororities are great. Second, you will definately need recs and have a high gpa. Another thing is to go through with an open mind because your opinion about different houses will change. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=88571

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=2302

Ole Miss rush is highly competitive. I suggest sending a PM to OleMissGlitter who is an Ole Miss sorority advisor, she has lots of good advice.

Recs are a MUST. Start getting them now.

I honestly wouldn't worry about who is "desireable" at this point. You will form your own opinions during recruitment. With the release figures, cuts are heavy in the first few rounds and it's pointless to have preconceived notions about chapters as things can change from day to day in recruitment (i.e. different ones may/may not invite you back).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Portions of the Ole Miss Greek Life web site have tips, too:

http://www.dosolemiss.com/page.php?p...page_id=107712
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Phi Mu View Post
There really isn't an answer to your first question because all nine sororities are great. Second, you will definately need recs and have a high gpa. Another thing is to go through with an open mind because your opinion about different houses will change. Good luck!

Agreed with Ole Miss Phi Mu....all 9 houses are filled with amazing young ladies...so keep your options open and remember to have fun! Definitely work on getting your recs now. Recruitment is in mid-October (Bid Day is Oct. 19) this year but the sooner the better. Also, don't forget to register for recruitment! You can go to the Ole Miss Panhellenic website to find out more info about that. Or you can ask your Orientation Leader more questions when you come for Orientation this summer! Hotty Toddy!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Currently Oxford, MS. After graduate school, its up in the air.
Send a message via AIM to CBU Jeff
I work at Ole Miss Greek Life for IFC. Recruitment is quite competitive. Although, I am not completely familiar with NPC recruitment, I can answer basic questions about registration and people to talk to.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GatorDG
My daughter went through last year at Ole Miss and had a blast. However, during orientation the need for recs was down played. Make SURE you have one for each house.

One thing I noticed last year is that girls coming from certain areas thought they could only be an ABC or XYZ because all the girls from their hometowns were in that house. As competitive as the recruitment is at Ole Miss, that did not always work out. My daughter's roommate was in this category and was crushed when she received her preference choices. I encouraged her to continue with the preference parties and then make her decision. She did join a house and is thrilled with her choice. She will end up being a great leader in the house and probably on campus as well. She will have more opportunities for being a standout in the house she joined than the one she thought she "needed to join". It is really important that you do not listen to "tent talk" and make up your own mind. All of the houses are strong, so you really have some great choices.

Get working on the sponsorships right away. The sororities are gathering them now and the sooner the better.

Best of luck, but most of all, have a good time!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDG View Post
My daughter went through last year at Ole Miss and had a blast. However, during orientation the need for recs was down played. Make SURE you have one for each house.

One thing I noticed last year is that girls coming from certain areas thought they could only be an ABC or XYZ because all the girls from their hometowns were in that house. As competitive as the recruitment is at Ole Miss, that did not always work out. My daughter's roommate was in this category and was crushed when she received her preference choices. I encouraged her to continue with the preference parties and then make her decision. She did join a house and is thrilled with her choice. She will end up being a great leader in the house and probably on campus as well. She will have more opportunities for being a standout in the house she joined than the one she thought she "needed to join". It is really important that you do not listen to "tent talk" and make up your own mind. All of the houses are strong, so you really have some great choices.

Get working on the sponsorships right away. The sororities are gathering them now and the sooner the better.

Best of luck, but most of all, have a good time!
Welcome back, GatorDG,
Did we ever hear what chapter your daughter pledged? I'm thinking DG, but can't remember.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDG View Post
However, during orientation the need for recs was down played. Make SURE you have one for each house.
I get so annoyed hearing stories like that. Why won't Panhellenic's be honest? Just come right out and say Recs are critical on this campus. Grades too, on average our chapters expect a minimum of ___. I hate hearing about PNMs who got blindsided because they followed the bad advice of Panhellenic -- people who are in charge of making sure the recruitment process is run appropriately and fairly.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

when i attended orientation with my daughter 2 summers ago, we attended the optional greeklife info. sessions. the panhellenic vp recruitment stated that recs. could only come from alumnae of the chapters-she did not say "the specific sororities." i was so worried that some unknowing pnm would stress out and not send in recommendations because she did not know samford alumnae!

fyi- for any pnms reading this-any alumnae of a sorority may send a recommendation to any chapter of her sorority.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 05-27-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
fyi- for any pnms reading this-any alumnae of a sorority may send a recommendation to any chapter of her sorority.
Not necessarily true of every sorority.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Its pretty much been covered. Get your recs in. Don't get your heart set on one house. Get some rest. Mind your p's and q's.