GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,182
1 members and 2,181 guests
Overthinker

Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the function of a Paddle?

I don't know if any of you watch the show Pretty Little Liars, but 3 characters attended a Sorority party last week, and one of them looked at a paddle on the wall - what I want to know is, why would one engrave all your names on the paddle, and why names with different years next to them?

Is that a tradition? Is it the year they graduated, and why not have separate paddles for each year..?

Thank you!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, obviously this is a TV show and TV writers don't have a great track record at getting Greek stuff right. But, taking this at absolute face value, I'll take a bite.

The names listed here all seem to be from the late '50s and early '60s. I would say that this might be a paddle from the founding sisters of that chapter and/or sorority (if it's a local), made and signed at their first initiation. The dates might would be the graduation years. The '00 is probably a misreading of '60.

ETA: The dates span 5 years, but the '61 could be a super-senior
Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Every organization (and even chapters within that organization) have different meaning behind paddles. Not every organization uses paddles, either. My chapter specifically sees paddles as nothing more than a gift from your big sister than you receive after you are initiated: it's just a tradition.
Seeing as your question involves a fictional sorority on a fictional televison show, nobody can tell you what the names mean (unless it was discussed in the books). It could be everything from the Pledge Trainer's name of that year (or Member educator, whatever you call it), the presidents names, or something completely different. I suspect the latter, and the reasons may be revealed later in another episode, but that's just my suspicion.