GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,092
1 members and 1,091 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
ZBT at Illinois Shut Down

From the Daily Illini

ZBT chapter shut down; four members detained

Following 25 arrests made by University police, 21 of which were University students, the Rho chapter of Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) at the University will be temporarily shut down, according to a press release from the fraternity's national office.

Four of the students arrested were members of the ZBT fraternity, according to University police reports.

This information comes during a drug investigation that spanned the past two semesters. Arrests began on Tuesday and police had no comment as to whether the arrests will continue.

"The fraternity has taken this action in order to cooperate fully with the University of Illinois authorities," said ZBT executive director David Saks.

Raids also occurred at the Beta Theta Pi and Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity houses, as well as various apartments across campus. Out of the 25 people arrested, 17 had outstanding warrants against them, and eight arrests were due to probable cause.

Police seized 180 grams of cannabis, along with drug paraphernalia, two vehicles, three flat screen TVs and two laptop computers, said Lt. Roy Acree of the University police department.

Acree said a number of the arrest warrants were issued due to the sale of narcotics.

Acree would not comment on rumors as to whether undercover officers dressed as delivery men were used in the investigation, but added that undercover officers were utilized.

Additionally, a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority was arrested on a drug-related warrant.

"It wasn't necessarily that we were going after that house, we were going after a person that had a warrant for their arrest," Acree said. "The vast majority of the students who live in these fraternities or sorority had nothing to do with this drug investigation."

As of press time, the sorority had not yet commented on the arrest. According to Acree, these arrests were made as part of a larger initiative.

"You're always trying to build from the lower guy. The perfect scenario would be to take us all the way to wherever these drugs are coming from," he said.

Robin Kaler, spokesperson for the University, said the University police department is trying to send a message.

"We are an institution that's saying that (drug use) is not tolerated here," she said. "The University was aware of the plan to make arrests."

The University will be filing individual investigations into all matters, said Robert Wilczynski, University assistant dean of housing.

"Once we have access to the police reports, we will be conducting a disciplinary investigation of students who are alleged to either possess marijuana or have specifically dealt or distributed," he added.

He said if convicted, students found guilty of distributing illegal substances face at least a two year dismissal from the University.

Lt. Acree said the University police investigation was aided by Champaign County and City of Urbana police, due to "manpower issues." He said these agencies helped to serve search and arrest warrants.

Acree said he was not aware of any alcohol violations with the involved fraternities and sorority. He also said an arraignment court was held at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday. One suspect's bond amounted to $250,000. Acree said for a suspect to be released, they must provide 10 percent of their bond.

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/camp...mbers-detained

"Acree would not comment on rumors as to whether undercover officers dressed as delivery men were used in the investigation, but added that undercover officers were utilized."
^^ I'm very curious about this. I certainly do not want to spread rumors, but what I heard is that undercover cops dressed like UPS guys and showed up at the house with the clipboard and package, and asked whoever answered the door to sign for the package. What they were signing was actually a search warrant.

Again, I don't want to spread rumors, this is just what I heard. I only bring it up because I was wondering if this is legal? I mean, apparently it is. I know the person signing a document should read what they're signing before they sign it. I'm just curious, because it is something I do not know about.

Last edited by lovespink88; 05-01-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spacing was weird...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post

"Acree would not comment on rumors as to whether undercover officers dressed as delivery men were used in the investigation, but added that undercover officers were utilized."
^^ I'm very curious about this. I certainly do not want to spread rumors, but what I heard is that undercover cops dressed like UPS guys and showed up at the house with the clipboard and package, and asked whoever answered the door to sign for the package. What they were signing was actually a search warrant.

Again, I don't want to spread rumors, this is just what I heard. I only bring it up because I was wondering if this is legal? I mean, apparently it is. I know the person signing a document should read what they're signing before they sign it. I'm just curious, because it is something I do not know about.

Any of the GC lawyers can correct me, but a search warrant isn't signed by the person who is being searched. The warrant is signed by a judge, the police then show up, hand the warrant over and start looking.

If undercover police were dressed like UPS delivery, it was probably just to gain access and see what was open in plain sight.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Any of the GC lawyers can correct me, but a search warrant isn't signed by the person who is being searched. The warrant is signed by a judge, the police then show up, hand the warrant over and start looking.

If undercover police were dressed like UPS delivery, it was probably just to gain access and see what was open in plain sight.
Ah okay! As I had thought, what I had heard was not exactly correct. Thank you for clarifying!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The campus paper has a follow-up report, with quotes from national officials of Sigma Chi, Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Delta Pi, and Tau Kappa Epsilon:

http://www.dailyillini.com/news/camp...ond-to-arrests

The quotes seem to indicate a belief that most of the arrests involed individuals acting as individuals, and not problems widespread through a chapter.

I can only imagine how much fun it must be toward the end of the academic year to have national HQ investigating a chapter.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only imagine how much fun it must be to call your parents and tell them you just got busted for dealing pot out of the fraternity house, and that you are kicked out of college