GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,646
2 members and 1,644 guests
LaneSig, naraht

Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry What ever happened to "Good Evening"? rant

I don't know why this bothered me....As I was walking into a grocery store yesterday, a guy from the Salvation Army collecting donations said something like "Good Evening!". There were about six people entering the store at the same time as me...only two of us replied "Good Evening!" back. The rest pretended like they didn't even see him. Now I can see why some people don't want to START a conversation or greeting with a stranger. It can be scary. But if someone speaks first I think it is totally rude not to reply. Gosh why must some people have a stick so far up their ass that they can't acknowledge someone for a few seconds?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

This is one of my pet peeves as well!
But the thing I hate more than this is when you go through a drive through at a fast food restaurant and the person just hands you your order without saying a word. I always try to make a point to be as polite as I can and always say thank you when they hand me my food and it drives me mad when they don't respond with "you're welcome" or anything else. Sorry to change the subject but your topic just reminded me of that!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Pink_Bug, I'm right there with you. I'm sure working at Mickey D's is not an exciting job, but at least the workers could try to be pleasant.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

To be fair, I don't think you're considering the fact that the person who was doing the greeting (Salvation Army worker) was someone who was collecting money. Sometimes people don't feel like donating, are broke, or have already put money into another kettle. They don't want to respond because they know they will be asked to chip in some change and they don't want to feel obligated. I mean, I would at least say hello in return as I walked past, but many people will stay silent out of feelings of embarassment or guilt for not putting any money in the kettle.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 12-09-2004, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
I say Good Evening. Well actually it's just evenin, the g always gets dropped.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
In a situation like this where someone else has greeted me, I'd respond, even if I didn't give them money. I think it's just a part of being decent. That or it's my small-town Iowa raising coming out. This is just my opinion, but I think I'd think less of the people that didn't acknowledge me than the ones who at least acted like I existed.