GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,351
1 members and 1,350 guests
TLLK

Old 06-11-2014, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Academic probation extension appeal?

C

Last edited by kateee; 06-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateee View Post
Could anyone help me write a letter requesting an extension of academic probation for one more semester? I'm really terrified as this letter will partly determine if I keep my membership or not and I want it to be well written but writing isn't exactly my strong point.
Why do you need the extension? How many semesters have you been on probation?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Why do you need the extension? How many semesters have you been on probation?
I

Last edited by kateee; 06-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I think you need to write the letter yourself.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Kateee, I am not a member of your organization, but I agree with Nutbrownhair. First, writing the letter yourself demonstrates a level of commitment that may weigh in your favor. Second, writing the letter will provide practice and discipline in an area that you believe requires strengthening. Perhaps your college has a writing lab with teaching assistants who help students become better writers. The letter may be a good project for a few sessions there.

That said, I will provide a few writing pointers. Look at my paaragraph above. It starts with a concise statement of the topic or purpose. Follow the lead-in with a few focused, concise arguments in support of your statement, leading with the strongest. Then conclude with a summary statement. Another pointer is not to be afraid of editing your work.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM

You need to be sure that the letter is in your "voice". Whoever you work with on the letter should know you well enough to make sure that it's true to you. Do you have a chapter sister that could be of help?

Since this letter is for your sisters, as opposed to the school, I think it's okay if it's not "perfect".

It sounds like you've worked very hard to make academic and health (physical and mental) improvements. Good for you! That is very difficult.

Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Kateee, I am not a member of your organization, but I agree with Nutbrownhair. First, writing the letter yourself demonstrates a level of commitment that may weigh in your favor. Second, writing the letter will provide practice and discipline in an area that you believe requires strengthening. Perhaps your college has a writing lab with teaching assistants who help students become better writers. The letter may be a good project for a few sessions there.

That said, I will provide a few writing pointers. Look at my paaragraph above. It starts with a concise statement of the topic or purpose. Follow the lead-in with a few focused, concise arguments in support of your statement, leading with the strongest. Then conclude with a summary statement. Another pointer is not to be afraid of editing your work.

Good luck!
]

thank you! i am going to write it myself but i am completely lost as to how to do it. but starting with the strongest point first sounds good and thank you for the advice about how to structure it.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Kateee, here are a couple of other thoughts for your consideration. You may benefit from sessions post-class with a statistics TA. You might also benefit from some organization assistance since you seem to fall behind when you became ill.

I found the TAs to be enormously helpful with my calculus classes, 12 credits of which were at that time required at my university (and I was a liberal arts major!). A STEM student I was clearly not, and I didn't understand a single formula in the large lecture hall classes. The TAs took time and helped me understand (not simply memorize) formulae. On the exams, I was happily surprised when I recognized a fact pattern.

Last edited by pinksequins; 06-11-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Viel gluck! (Where is the umlaut key???)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait a second. You didn't make grades Fall 2013, so were on probation for Spring 2014. Now you haven't made grades again - for Spring 2014? You didn't say why you didn't make grades last Fall.

I have to say that this is very concerning, and I think you need to really look at whether you are able to meet the demands of sorority membership as well as your academic studies. These words may sound harsh, but having been a scholarship advisor for several years, I know what I'm talking about.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Going back to the structure of the letter and taking AZTheta's concerns into account, your supporting points need to explain how you are going to achieve the objective of making grades this coming semester. The letter needs to include an action plan.

Not to diminish the issues last year, your supporting arguments nevertheless should not read as a list of woes. Clearly something was amiss to cause you to miss the grade requirements. Instead focus a supporting argument on how you will get from point A to point C. You may need a mini-plan for each academic area (such as the TA for calculus class and maybe taking meals with the German house residents so that you have time to practice your language skills.).

Last edited by pinksequins; 06-11-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

kateee, aside from everything else, make sure you have exhausted the resources available to you at the school. If you have some sort of diagnosis which interferes with your academic success, I feel like that knowledge (and a subsequent plan) will provide a pathway to GPA recovery.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Wait a second. You didn't make grades Fall 2013, so were on probation for Spring 2014. Now you haven't made grades again - for Spring 2014? You didn't say why you didn't make grades last Fall.

I have to say that this is very concerning, and I think you need to really look at whether you are able to meet the demands of sorority membership as well as your academic studies. These words may sound harsh, but having been a scholarship advisor for several years, I know what I'm talking about.
I

Last edited by kateee; 06-12-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

I agree with AZTheta. Until you can get your life under control, Greek life and maybe even college life are beyond you. As a former professor, I have never heard so many excuses.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you improve your GPA and avoid probation through summer school? It might be too late for that now, however.