GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 314,085
Threads: 115,487
Welcome to our newest member, JesseShore
» Online Users: 299
4 members and 295 guests
2023txmom, dlandisia, paxpaul, rncobernroxan

Old 07-05-2000, 02:41 AM
Saoirse

Good point about borrowing dresses. I'll definitely add that to the FAQ.
Old 07-05-2000, 03:24 AM
Why?

"Your sorority might not publically acknowledge initiaition and pinning; but my sorority makes a huge deal about it. We'll tell anyone who'll listen. "We have initiation this weekend. We're getting the best new members."

Just wondering why some NPC (I don't know if they all do) sororities tell their pledges when they will be initiated, as well as tell others? I am a member of an LGLO and we never tell anyone ANYTHING about ANY of our activities. We feel that our membership process should only be discussed between members and the pledges. Also, pledges are not given an initiation date ahead of time because to us that would be almost like telling them "you have until THIS date to become bonded for life!" In addition, the pledges might start to slack off if they know the end is near. Further, membership is not a guarantee. I just want to know if there is a reason why NPC organizations seem to be more open with their pledge programs, and why they give pledge classes the date of initiation?
Old 07-05-2000, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Why?:
Just wondering why some NPC (I don't know if they all do) sororities tell their pledges when they will be initiated, as well as tell others? I am a member of an LGLO and we never tell anyone ANYTHING about ANY of our activities. We feel that our membership process should only be discussed between members and the pledges. Also, pledges are not given an initiation date ahead of time because to us that would be almost like telling them "you have until THIS date to become bonded for life!" In addition, the pledges might start to slack off if they know the end is near.
We also do not share any information (least of which when *and where* initiation will be. According to Nationals, our new members now must know their initiation date before accepting their bid. Plus our new member period is MUCH shorter and can never last over a semester or the summer. Ridiculous Ridiculous Ridiculous! The NPC needs to give it a rest about this hazing thing! I don't see how it can be called hazing. When I pledged (I'm old) we had NO clue about initiation. We were so surprised when the big day came! That made it that much better!

SoCalGirl - Again, as far as what an org does or does not wear - that's private info for the members of that org only. Period. Leave it be! What sorority are you in?
Old 07-05-2000, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Soror ZetaAce,
You My Soror Are Dynamic, Smart, Sentational, Magnificent, Inspiring, and the BEST... (5 for the Pearls) Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZetaAce:
SoCalGirl- Even though I don't mind being mixed up with such a smart Dynamic Soror, Finerwoman 10-A-91 and I are different people, LOL.

ZetaAce

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 07-05-2000, 11:16 AM

Exclamation

Re the white dress thing, I am w/ SoCal again, I thought everyone in NPC wore white for initiation/ritual and that that was not "secret." We had a white skirt on my dorm floor that probably attended rituals for 4 different orgs, at least!

Here's my advice: if you are going thru rush and see a white dress, snap it up, because they are a bitch to find if you do need one. Just leave the tags on in case you don't need it.
Old 07-06-2000, 02:13 PM

Cool

AXO Alum- "as far as what an org does or does not wear - that's private info for the members of that org only. Period. Leave it be!" Once again, that's how it is in your org. Many others don't have that policy. Girls are always borrowing dresses for initiatioin and other events. And please don't tell me to "Leave it be!". I certainly wouldn't tell you what to not discuss on this board. I have never intended to disrespect Alpha Chi Omega Sorority or any other organization. I hope that you haven't interpreted any of my posts this way. And if you have to know what sorority I'm in, feel free to email me. I prefer not to publicize it on the internet so that I may have the freedom to discuss concerns and problems without tarnishing my org's image.

Why?- I think the reason that pledges are given the date before hand is because it could be considered hazing. (Yes I know that's lame.) I'm not sure if we ever had a time when it was a secret. I've never thought to ask one of our alumnae about that.

In my sorority, part of requirement for initiation is that the pledges must pass a written test about what they learned during their pledge period. They also need to show love and respect for the org and prove to make a good sister while maintaining the grades. If they haven't proven themselves by the set date they are held over. They then go through it all again. If we're still not satisfied they're released. So in theory they could have a twelve week pledge period. (Not including any vacation time in between.)

But back to the orginal post. I'd put white dresses on the list. But make a note to only bring one if they already own one. Borrowing is always an option.
Old 07-06-2000, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl:
And if you have to know what sorority I'm in, feel free to email me. I prefer not to publicize it on the internet so that I may have the freedom to discuss concerns and problems without tarnishing my org's image.
Let me get this straight...you bring up the issue of a white dress, and I reply...then you use the whole "eek" thing and reply that you are shocked, so I reply back that we wear pinwear and our initiation date is secret....then you reply again so I finally just say "Leave it be!" In every post I have used my greekchat name "AXO Alum" without worry of "tarnishing" my organization's name. I don't worry about tarnishing her name because I am posting in a respectful manner. So when I ask you to let sleeping dogs lie, you continue to push. Yet you then want to come out and say you don't want to "tarnish" your sorority's name??? Why are you ashamed to post your sorority name? And you would tell me what not to discuss on the board if I had replied NUMEROUS times about the same thing. I was simply stating that a white dress is not necessarily a requirement for sorority events.

Old 07-06-2000, 05:11 PM

Cool

AXO Alum- First off I wasn't the first one to bring up the white dress! You orginally replied "I haven't heard the white dress for Initiation or any rituals before! Did someone tell you this is what they wore? I've been a member since 1994, and this is the first for me."
You never knew that other orgs used white dresses. I'd only ever heard of one other glo that didn't use them. Since AX is on my campus I was especially surprised to read that ya'll didn't. If you never posted that, I'd never have known!

Once again, the whole reason that I used the eek face is because I was shocked that I was wrong. I even said in the first post that I was surprised that it didn't fit my assumptions. That's all I meant by it. I replied to your first post addressing me because I wanted to clarify that. I'm not trying to push anything! I don't actually care what you wear because it doesn't effect me.

And you don't know me so you couldn't possibly know if I would tell you not to discuss something. I only ask that you don't try to tell me what to discuss.

I have never meant any disrespect to anyone on this board. Including you.

I am not ashamed of my sorority. I'm quite proud of it. I wrote that "I prefer not to publicize it on the internet so that I may have the freedom to discuss concerns and problems without tarnishing my org's image." Examples would be like any hazing incidents that have occured or anything else that my chapter would get into trouble for since our nationals has incredibly strict rules when it comes to those things. Jeez, I don't even put my letters on my car because then I'd feel like I'd have to keep it sparkling clean. If I put my letters in my user name or publicized the name of my sorority I'd feel the same way. I would feel like I couldn't ask for advice on problems within my chapter. If you still want to know, feel free to email me.

I agree that white dresses are not necessarily required for sororities. That's why I've already written all of these comments:

"Since there's always a chance that a girl doesn't joing a chapter I wouldn't put too much emphesis on the white dress or formals."

"And sororities generally don't have a problem with rounding up extra white dresses if you don't have time to get one of your own."

"But back to the orginal post. I'd put white dresses on the list. But make a note to only bring one if they already own one. Borrowing is always an option."
Old 07-07-2000, 01:57 AM
Artimis

As far as wearing white dresses... No special color of dress attire is required for ceremonies for us. But while I can't speak with regards to ritual and a specific color - I do know from experience that white and lighter color clothing turn out so much nicer for photographs. Our charter memebers photograph was "proffesionally" taken a few hours before the ceremony. Most of us picked out dark blues or blacks for our dresses. Between the background, each other's dresses, and those of us with brown/black hair - the photo could have been a lot nicer had we all worn lighter colors...

just my few cents to the pot.. (this could actually be an interesting fund raiser..)