GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,213
0 members and 2,213 guests
No Members online

Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphimsprite View Post
I'm definitely a fan of the new release figures method. I was an adviser at George Washington University in DC for the last three years and we implemented the release figures method in my first year there. (The campus is about 17% greek with quota generally ranging between 25-30.)
Hey, I'm a GW adviser too.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Important correction!

It's only within the FAQs section of the UGA website that it says recs are not required. If you actually read through the recruitment guide, they do a very good job explain their importance. I apologize, UGA Greek Life Office!

The advice in the guide looks great: http://www.uga.edu/panhellenic/Libra...tmentguide.pdf.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 04-07-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Murray State Results

Just thought I'd post that in talking to an advisor to a Murray State (KY) chapter I asked about how the new release was working for them - and she was very positive, saying it has helped place many more girls than the old system.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Just wondering if anyone has some more views on this....
Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

could the new RFM's almost make it more competitive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Two things I've noticed that have happened with many, many PNMs we know as a result of the new release figures:

1. If you get cut by several of your favorites after first parties, you can very well end up pledging a "stronger" group than if you get your major cuts after second parties, when you had already cut a bunch yourself. We've known of far more people to drop out after heavy cuts after second parties because they didn't like their returns. Moral of the story: hang in there if you get dropped by a bunch after first parties.

2. At the really competitive schools, legacies have a hard time. Due to the numbers that many groups have to release, they very often release legacies of other houses (especially in-house) after first parties and if the legacy group releases the PNM, she's not left with many choices. I've personally seen this happen to about a dozen great girls in the last 2 years.

What are your observations?
I totally agree with your second point. At some Universities you can not courtesy invite back all your legacies or your entire round 2 would just be legacies. We are even taking a closer look at recommendations. Back in the day all those girls would get courtesy invites back even if you were not sure about them. That is now a thing of the past, at least with our group on our campus.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your first point. I think this generation of girls just drop out of recruitment if they don't see any Chapters on their invitation list that they like. With the old system they probably would have dropped the 3 or 4 groups that invited them back on the new system. If they are open minded they may end up with a successful recruitment, but I don't find that is the case. I think either way we end up loosing girls who feel like they are to good for the Chapters they have left on their invite list. The key really seems to make it through that first round.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
At some Universities you can not courtesy invite back all your legacies or your entire round 2 would just be legacies.
Why on earth would a university or a Panhel be telling you that? That is membership selection, for members only, and none of their business.

Unless you mean "can't" in the sense of "if we invite all the legacies that's all we'll have and we wanted to invite some other girls, but can't because of RFM." Your chapter and your national policies need to make the choice as to who they want. If you want to downplay legacies, that's your concern, not the uni's or panhel's. Complaining because you have a high return rate and have to cut more girls sooner...well, that just kind of falls flat.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Why on earth would a university or a Panhel be telling you that? That is membership selection, for members only, and none of their business.

Unless you mean "can't" in the sense of "if we invite all the legacies that's all we'll have and we wanted to invite some other girls, but can't because of RFM." Your chapter and your national policies need to make the choice as to who they want. If you want to downplay legacies, that's your concern, not the uni's or panhel's. Complaining because you have a high return rate and have to cut more girls sooner...well, that just kind of falls flat.
I think that's what she meant. Chapters choose not to courtesy invite all their legacies back or they'd have nothing but legacies at their parties. I don't think she meant that the universities weren't allowing them to invite them all back.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!