GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 882
1 members and 881 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-15-2000, 03:57 PM
panpres

Question deferred recruitment

OK girls I need your help! This is the first year my campus will be faces deferred recruitment (no freshmen until Januray). Panhellenic is establishing an informal recruitment in fall. I thought I had everyhting under control, but any advice could be used. Since recruitment will be informal how are we, as panhellenic, supposed to monitor the houses so they continue to follow the rules, especially when it comes to dirty rushing. Also any advice on unitizing all the houses would be great.

thanx
Old 08-15-2000, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

my school too has deferred rush (in jan). i think it has been that way for about 5 yrs. we have "full open contact" with the freshmen women during the fall. i'll try to give you a basic rundown of our rules for the fall:

--they can't come to our functions/homes if alcohol/drugs is happening

--they aren't allowed inside the sorority house until after rush

--sisters can't buy them gifts or give them anything, including food and beverage

here's what we can do and are supposed to do:

--we are allowed to give them rides (sober drive)

--we can invite them over to watch tv or for dinner (but can't give them soda to drink! they must bring their own)

--we can drink in their presence at a frat party, but they can't come to our own functions where alcohol is being consumed

i don't think deferred rush has hurt the greek system at my school at all. it gives the sororities more time to check out the freshmen women, and "observe them in action" so to speak, before we decide whether or not they're suitable and will uphold our reputation. the rushees get an opportunity to be more fully aware of each sorority's role and reputation on campus before committing to one, but they have the added stress of being watched all fall.

[This message has been edited by twinstars (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old 08-17-2000, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Pan Pres,

It's really difficult, I think, to 'dirty rush' during COB. The best you can do is ask interested women (sophomore and above or transfer students only) to sign up and supply those names to the houses and let them make the determination who they want to invite to functions.

You will need to see which chapters are eligible to receive members through COB - if the chapter is at campus total, they cannot accept members until Formal Recruitment. Potential members should be supplied with a list of what chapters are eligible for COB and instructed to contact you if an ineligible chapter has invited them to a COB event. I would delay the sign-up period for COB until after a week or two after school has started, to allow the chapters to supply accurate membership lists to Panhellenic AND to allow Panhell adequate time to compute the eligibility of chapters.

You can ask all groups to sign a cooperation agreement that states they will honor NPC and university regulations regarding recruitment and conduct and ask that they direct interested women to the Panhell office so that they can be entered into the system. The NPC Green Book, page 85 (12 ed.) has the NPC unanimous agreements for recruitment.

You cannot cannot place restrictions on the times, places or kinds of events planned by a chapter for COB, as per NPC agreements.

Bids can be made to potential members orally or in writing, however a signed bid card must be on file at the Panhell office withing 24 hours of an invitation being accepted by a potential member (again, NPC agreement). This will allow you to notify potential members when a particular chapter has reached chapter total and is no longer eligible to receive members through COB.

As always, check with your regional NPC advisor to make sure your plans are in keeping with NPC agreements, etc. In fact, ask her if you can set an ending date by which all chapters must extend invitations, if the chapter intends to do so.

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.
Tallahassee Area Alumnae of ZTA
Tallahassee Alumnae Panhellenic & Sorority Recruitment FAQ