GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,356
2 members and 2,354 guests
Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-04-2003, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphabug02
Powder Puff

Has anyone ever organized or participated in a powder puff game? We would like to organize one as a philanthropy/ fundraising for the Greeks on our campus, but we need suggestion on how to start, what’s worked for other organizations and what hasn’t. I’d appreciate any impute since this will be our first year trying to pull one together and we want to do it right.

Thanks!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2003, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
I just pm'ed you.

Elena

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 12-07-2003, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Is that the best title for an event after the HS hazing event that just took place a few months back?

I'd be careful about putting my letters on something like that.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-07-2003, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
We were thinking of doing one this year, but it just didnt happen...I'd like to hear ideas also, because maybe we can do it in Feb

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 12-07-2003, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Is that the best title for an event after the HS hazing event that just took place a few months back?

I'd be careful about putting my letters on something like that.
I would hope that perfectly innocent powder puff games in schools and colleges across the country - some of which have gone on for decades - wouldn't change their name because of the actions of some idiotic little girls. If they did, that would probably just make these girls happy. The majority of the country has most likely forgotten about it by now, anyway.

This is an event that would be held in public, not some clandestine thing.

And if we're going to start changing things because people used the name as a disguise for something more sinister, we all need to stop saying "going to the library" or "studying at my friend's."
Old 12-07-2003, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I really dont feel that those "little idiotic girls" would be happy about people thinking of a powder puff game like that. It happened over a year ago and they were still in high school. A powder puff game is a powder puff game. If you feel it will raise money for your cause than do it. And good luck with it.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 PM

I was referring to the idiots as the ones who did the hazing, not the victims (although it wasn't too bright of them to show up either, but whatever).

I don't quite understand whose side you're on or what point you're trying to make...do you think this sorority chapter holding a powder puff football game is a good idea, or a bad idea??
Old 12-07-2003, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

...ok so I have NO idea what you are talking about, so I don't think it is that prevelant of a memory.

I'd love to know how to do Powder Puff also, we are looking for this kind of stuff to do.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

i just know one of the girls involved in that whole incident (she didnt do anything she just watched) and it sucks that all those girls get blamed for what a few of them did.

as for the whole have a powder puff game for your philanthropy...do it if you think its a good idea. thats my stand on it. if your chapter thinks its a good idea than its a good idea. i dont really think a bunch of strangers should be the deciding factor in what your chapter does to raise money.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Some thoughts and ideas

I think that the main idea behind the Powder Puff game is to get different sororities together with the help of fraternities to raise money for a good cause and in the process to have fun.

On a political note I don't think we would change the name of the event because of what happened a year ago, at one school that got a lot of press. In my experience changing a name does not always change people's attitudes. In ASA we are supposed to call Pledges, New Members and the majority of the time this just confuses people and most of the chapters I have visited still call them Pledges. So I don't think changing the name of an event would do anything but cause confusion.

I think that sometimes the "fun and social" side of Greek life has gotten pushed aside as we have tried to make people focus on our other good aspects. So having explained that WE want to put together this event, because it will be fun, social and for a good cause I'd like to restate the original question- Has anyone ever played Powder Puff football and if so can you remember any aspects of how the event was set up?

Since other people seem to be interested in this topic here are some ideas I was thinking of...

Set an entry fee for each Sorority
Ask a Fraternity to volunteer members to be coaches, cheerleaders and refs for the event
Try to get community sponsors for food and drinks so we could host a cook out after the game.
Ask the school if we could use their cones, time clock, footballs and flags that they use for flag football.

Some things I need help with:
How to set up a tournament type schedule
Where to get supplies like flags and cones if the school will not let us use theirs
Old 12-08-2003, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Some thoughts and ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabug02

Since other people seem to be interested in this topic here are some ideas I was thinking of...

Set an entry fee for each Sorority
Ask a Fraternity to volunteer members to be coaches, cheerleaders and refs for the event
Try to get community sponsors for food and drinks so we could host a cook out after the game.
Ask the school if we could use their cones, time clock, footballs and flags that they use for flag football.

Some things I need help with:
How to set up a tournament type schedule
Where to get supplies like flags and cones if the school will not let us use theirs

If you were unable to get the supplies from a local school, then you could spray paing the ground with the borders since as the grass grows, the paint will be cut off.

I wish I could help you with figuring out how to schedule powder puff games. How many sororities are there on your campus? You could do a single elimination competition. I would try to make the tournament all in one day. It seems to work here at State with Theta Chi when they hold their tournament.

Elena

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 12-08-2003, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Getting the field is pretty easy there is at least one general use field we could use and spray paint lines on.

efcheerBB, I like the idea of doing a single elimination tournament and doing it in one day so that it doesn't drag out.

We have 6 sororities and 5 fraternities assuming that we can get each of them to participate (sometimes our campus organizations have a problem with involvement )

I’ve never set up a tournament before so I guess the next question is how do you set up a single elimination tournament?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Would your house be playing in the tournament as well, or would you guys be running around controlling the tournament and making sure things are going smoothly?

Also, have you offered the opportunity to other groups besides IFC and Panhellenic? That way more people can get involved and have fun, plus there will be more teams which will help making bracket easier?

ETA: the last little bit and to correct my spelling

GO GREEN GO WHITE

Last edited by efcheerBB; 12-08-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Good Question?!

You know, know body ever thought of that question! Although playing would be fun I guess it would be best to be the organizers and make sure the event runs smoothly, plus then it would make an even 5 sor. and 5 frat. to pair up. We could be neutral and act as refs if need be, it’s only fair since we're hosting the event.

Good Call
Old 05-16-2004, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thermobryan
My chapter does this every year.
If you go to our website: http://www.pomonapikes.com
There is a .pdf file of everything that we do for our powderpuff tournament, including rules, etc etc...