GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,243
3 members and 1,240 guests
g41965, Xidelt

Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Social Media Before/During Recruitment

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CLEAN UP YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA!!! DO IT NOW!

Active members (and alumnae) are constantly looking at facebook/twitter/tumblr/pinterest to learn more about you. We want to see how you present yourself both in appearance and behavior. This can be a great benefit or a great hindrance to you, USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

IT IS NOT TOO LATE!!

My suggestions:

1. Change your profile picture to a simple, cute one of only you. Maybe you didn't send a recruitment picture or maybe they got lost. In that case, this can help sorority women get an idea of who you are. Do not think that the only reason they want to see you is to judge you. Many times, it helps for the girls who are matched with you to know who you are when you walk in the door. You don't want them to confuse you with your mom/aunt/sister/best friend/cousin. You also don't want them to be distracted by your silly facial expression/outfit/boyfriend/pose.

2. Block the public from everything except interests, high school and activities.This means everything. Wall posts especially-You do not want sorority women to get a poor opinion from the comment your jerk ex-boyfriend or idiot little brother wrote. Edit your interests and activities, but keep them public! This helps the girls learn things about you that may not be on your application and pair you up with sisters who have common interests. This is a huge benefit to you because it makes your conversations a lot more fun!

3. Don't post about recruitment during recruitment. This may seem like common sense, but seriously, just don't do it. There was a specific instance last year where my sister was just RAVING about how much she loved a girl, so she pulled up her Facebook only to see she had already 'liked' XYZ sorority's wall and posting 'I LOVED XYZ TODAY, can't see myself anywhere else!!!' Needless to say, we cut her. This also applies to GreekChat, don't post your story live. Anyone on here will tell you that.

All in all, just use your noggin. You're going to college, you are a smart girl, think like one! Make sure that your social media accounts only add to all of the reasons a sorority already loves you!

Good luck!! Remember to breathe, keep an open mind and smile!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Pinterest is a new thing too. One of my friends was writing a rec for a girl and we found her page. She had a board dedicated to alcoholic recipes. Just don't do it...

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate seeing a profile pic with multiple people. What amazes me is seeing ICS pics with multiple people...with daddy, with mama, with BFF, with random guy(s). Is she bragging on how good-looking her boyfriend is?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
This definitely goes for Twitter and Tumblr too. Can't even tell you how many people clean up Facebook and then spew all kinds of shit all over Twitter and Tumblr, like they somehow think it's protected by a force field and no one can see it.
Yes!! When I was looking up a girl this week I couldn't see her Facebook but found her twitter, which was set to public. There were bunch of tweets about how drunk she got at XYZ fraternity at orientation and can never go back there. Ummm you are not even a freshman yet!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I hate seeing a profile pic with multiple people. What amazes me is seeing ICS pics with multiple people...with daddy, with mama, with BFF, with random guy(s). Is she bragging on how good-looking her boyfriend is?
This is SO annoying/distracting. I end up looking up her boyfriend/mom/random friend and paying way less attention to the girl.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM

If you want laughs, search "*university name* sorority recruitment" on Twitter and see what comes up.

I wonder if these people know sorority members CAN see what they're saying.

Example:

I just randomly searched a rather competitive school that just started recruitment.

One of the first tweets I saw was a PNM who tweeted: "Just left XYZ. My vote: NO! #sogross #wouldratherdie"

I wonder if she knows that she doesn't get a "vote."

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This is awesome. Linking this to the Ole Miss Recruitment Thread.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

No one is going to think you are as cute, funny or clever as you think you are in your public profile. We will not laugh if you do something like list fluent Ebonics as one of the languages you speak.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
We will not laugh if you do something like list fluent Ebonics as one of the languages you speak.
I agree, they should not claim to speak Ebonics. They typically do not know that Ebonics and Black English are not simply slang and improper grammar. Ebonics and Black English are studied as legitimate dialects by some linguists, historians, etc.

Not to mention that you all are talking to a young and predominantly white audience, 99% of whom are speaking slang or improper grammar rather than Ebonics. If they ever claimed to be speaking Ebonics, they are being racially offensive and linguistically inaccurate.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-10-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

One other suggestion: If you have a common name, make sure your profile identifies you by high school and university. My daughter told me to look at someone's profile on fb and all I saw was a perfectly nice girl with a clean facebook. She was looking at someone else's crazy page who happened to have to same name and hometown! The girl I saw was the right girl, so I hope no one else confused her with extreme party girl.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
If you want laughs, search "*university name* sorority recruitment" on Twitter and see what comes up.

Example:

I just randomly searched a rather competitive school that just started recruitment.

One of the first tweets I saw was a PNM who tweeted: "Just left XYZ. My vote: NO! #sogross #wouldratherdie"

There are some pretty spectacular tweets.

Bless their little hearts.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-10-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Example:

how come I'm not coming up with anything?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Keep in mind too that some schools have a strict deactivation policy in place for myspace, fb, and twitter. Appalachian State requires EVERYONE involved with recruitment from any initiated sister to those going through recruitment to deactivate. And yes, they check.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Some gems from this afternoon:

Quote:
Omfg! ITS SORORITY RECRUITMENT! I hope i get a bid to Rush Kappa Delta!” *scratches head*
Umm...bid to rush. Ok.

Quote:
leslie said as soon as we sign up for rush, sorority girls will be stalking our social network sites.
Hope she pays attention!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Good gosh, I was writing a rec for a particularly lovely woman when I realized I was missing a bit of information. I checked out her Face Book page, and honestly, I don't know if I can recommend her now!

PNMs, IT'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU REALIZE - CLEAN UP YOUR SOCIAL NETWORKING PAGES NOW!!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 AM

If I'd hesitate to rec a girl b/c of her social media, I'd not want her to clean it up at all. Putting your best foot forward is one thing. Covering up what an awful representative of my letters you'd be is another.