GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,155
2 members and 1,153 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined my NPHC org because I got dropped from the Deke line.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2007, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mervelous 1906
I became interested in the fraternity, because of the commitment that Alpha Phi Alpha has to uplift the community, as well as the bond and brotherhood which I witnessed amongst its members. When I was a freshman, I was looking for an organization of substance that would aid in my personal growth into manhood. I read about Alpha Phi Alpha and soon I became more and more interested in the fraternity. Another source of inspiration came from my good friends who entered into the fraternity three years ago. Witnessing their experience in Alpha gave me a more in-depth view of the organization not only from the social point of view, but from the business end as well. Ever since then, my desire for membership into the organization had greatly increased. Now three years later, I am a proud member of Alpha Phi Alpha and it has been the best thing that ever happened to me in my life. I thank god for this gift and change in my life. What I desired to bring to the fraternity is my commitment and loyalty for my community and my peers. As stated before I am very thankful for this gift, and understand that I must graciously serve others. "To whom much is given, much is expected in return" In the year of our Centennial Celebration, I will continue to uphold the foundation which our 7 Jewels set a hundred years ago! MAINLY DEEDS, SCHOLARSHIP, and LOVE FOR ALL MANKIND.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

my story, is pretty similar to those mentioned above, plus i've mentioned it in bits and pieces here on GC. but im gonna tell it anyway!

i was at an NPHC picnic as an interest, for another organization (i know GASP! but its okay, im grown enough to say it without any hesitation). at that time, i was of the "i just KNOW i'm going to be an XYZ!" mind. hmm. luckily i checked myself before someone else did. anyway, as i was leaving the picnic, i met a member of Sigma Gamma Rho, an organization i had never heard of. she invited me over to hang out with her sorors and we started talking.

one conversation led to another. she gave me her phone number, in case i "ever wanted to talk." i took it with a grain of salt, kinda shrugged it off. but somehow the stars were aligned because i started seeing SGRho pop up everywhere (well not everywhere, but since i'd never heard of them, it definitely stood out).

so i really thought long and hard about what i thought i wanted and what i really wanted. i was a senior by then-who knew it would take all of undergrad for me to figure it out?

anyway, fast forward. i was ALLOWED membership to my illustrious organization, and it's been great ever since.

p.s. the soror who i met in the park that day, was at my induction, and when i reminded her of that day, she cried! and so did i, but just a little
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
.... hmm. luckily i checked myself before someone else did. .

Quote:
p.s. the soror who i met in the park that day, was at my induction, and when i reminded her of that day, she cried! and so did i, but just a little
Awwww....how sweet soror!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

LMAO

It's a jungle out there.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iotamason View Post
To build a tradition and not rest upon one.
also for networking.
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I reread the whole thing and it just gives me a warm fuzzy inside.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
[random]there was this one DKE at my school who ALWAYS wore his lettered sweatshirt on campus. seriously, while its great to wear your letters, there are some places (for example, at a banquet dinner) where you can leave the hoodie at home. when we met in person that night, i said, "hey youre DKE right?" and he says, "yeah how'd you know...?"

ok, so not the smartest person, being that in all my 4 years i've never seen him WITHOUT that navy blue and red sweatshirt.

i know a PBS who wears his line jacket everywhere. whyyyyyyyy?[/random]
Old 01-14-2007, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
...and goonygoogoo......
*LOL @ my immediately knowing where you got that term from*
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedAngel Send a message via Yahoo to RedAngel
Good Thread!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I know that this thread is old, but I can't help but read it over and over...it just makes me smile

Hmmm, when I went to my HBCU, its funny but the only sororities that I had heard of were AKA and DST really because I had cousins on my dads side that were DST and cousins on my moms side that were AKA. I had never heard of Zeta or SGRho, so when I got to college, I was interested in learning more about both DST and AKA and even attended their informationals. But I still did not feel that spark so to speak. I met this (soror) in my class that was an SGRho but when I met her I did not know that she was. She was really nice and cool and it seemed to me that all her sorors were cool to, very down to earth, very public service minded, very classy. I was so intrigued that I could not stop thinking about SGRho or stop even talking about them. The rest is history....

I love my S-G-Rho, I love it I love it I love it!!

Last edited by IncontRHOllable; 03-28-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: forgot info
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cloud5_DST
I LOVE this topic!

My mother is a Delta, and I have two aunts that are AKAs. That was my exposure to Greek Life. However, I remember looking at my mother's pictures and whatnot at a very early age and asking "Mommy what is that? What does it mean?" And she said "It means a lot to me, and hopefully one day you will know."

By the time I got to high school, I had heard the small (and purely in jest) arguments my mom and my aunts would have; they would end in laughing and reminiscing, and, as an old soul, I ate up the stories about my family's experiences in college and with Greek Life. I had made up my mind that I wanted to be a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., and nothing else. But other than sharing general experiences, my mother didn't try to influence me in any way. She wanted me to do the research that she had done (she became Greek before anyone else in my immediate family) and to make my own decision. I looked up to her so much that I couldn't picture being anything other than what she was. But I set off to do my research anyway.

Through my research and general observation, I became aware of all of the other orgs (although I didn't know about Sigma Gamma Rho or Iota Phi Theta until I was a freshman in college, lol, I was still oblivious). And I was so happy because through my research, I gained a deep respect for all of the orgs, but I also realized that my mother had made the best decision, for herself, and that I would be honored to be invited into the same sisterhood.

Ironically, most of my research was done on messageboards much like this one. I was subscribed to all of them, and I learned about all of the stereotypes as well as some of the issues that caused conflict within the Greek community. I learned how interests should act as well. All my mother ever told me was to be myself and not to tell them she is a Delta unless they asked, lol.

Sooo, that was a very long way of saying that my interest in Greek Life and specifically Delta Sigma Theta was accumulated over my lifetime, and finally achieved in the Spring of 2005. :-D

Looking back, I know my mother would have been temporarily (and maybe a little more than that, lol) devastated if I had chosen another organization, but if she knew I joined what was in my heart, she would have respected me nonetheless.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

too bad MB SP05 is WACK!!!
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cloud5_DST
Lol, Nate, this thread is about POSITIVITY! Take your negative energy away from here!

~J
Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

ttt I love this thread
Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

hey elldawg- Unless theres a different BUS...I definitly know what school your talkin about