GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,555
0 members and 1,555 guests
No Members online

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Skin care

Does anyone else have trouble keeping their skin clear?

Usually mine is very clear, but over the last two weeks it's gotten totally out of hand. I can't figure out what's going on - the only thing I can think of that might be causing it is stress.

I'm using Cetaphil facewash and Biore Triple Action Astringent. I don't use moisturizer because I don't seem to need it. I can't figure out how to control the breakouts!

I've heard Neutrogena On-The-Spot works; has anyone else tried it? It's kind of expensive to pick up if it doesn't really work. Any other suggestions?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I have trouble from time to time. I've tried different products. I've found that Proactiv was too drying for my skin. I currently use Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser. Although I'm not a big fan of the rest of their products, the Proactiv Refining Face Mask is very good for spot treatments and can be bought separately at their kiosks in the mall. It'a a small bottle, but lasts a long time.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I've always had a hard time with my skin due to the fact that I work out doors a lot and I spend a lot of time at the gym/exercising. I've tried damn near everything as well, ProActive, AcneFree, supplements, birth control, you name it. I was starting to get pissed because I wanted nice skin for the wedding, so someone on another board I read suggested going to www.acne.org and reading their regimen. Sure enough, as simple as it sounds, it worked. My skin looks 100 times better.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu View Post

I'm using Cetaphil facewash and Biore Triple Action Astringent. I don't use moisturizer because I don't seem to need it. I can't figure out how to control the breakouts!
You may want to consider using moisturizer, ideally a light, gentle one. My dermatologist has told me in the past that sometimes people think not using moisturizer will clear up their skin or that they don't need it because it's oily...but in actuality, your skin may be overcompensating by producing a ton of oil, leading to breakouts. A light moisturizer could give your skin the moisture it needs (especially in the winter!) so it doesn't have to produce a lot of oil. This is especially true if you're using toner daily, which can be drying. Just something to try and see if it works!

Also...my solution for a lot of things: drink more water.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I recommend exfoliation. Take a tablespoon of sugar, add a few drops of water to make a thick paste, then rub it in on a wet face until the sugar dissolves (don't go that long if you have sensitive skin). Don't forget to rinse your face afterwards. It makes your skin super soft, and the sugar has anti-bacterial properties in it.

Also, I do agree with a light moisturizer.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does anyone else have trouble keeping their skin clear?
Yes, at one point I had acne that was out of control. When I was a teen, I had acne here and there, but when I turned 22, it was crazy. I came back home after living in California and it was like my skin exploded with acne. And it was only on the bottom of my face. I was like those people you see on the ProActiv commercials where the whole bottom of your face (from the nose down, and then on the side of my face--like sideburns) was covered with acne. I went to the dermatologist and he was stupid....his last name is Moron (seriously), he gave me a treatment and he told me it would take 6-12 months to clear up my skin. Seriously?

I detested ProActiv, it just made the problem worse so I decided to try Murad Acne Complex. I had used it before but not with that much acne. Seriously within a month, all that acne was cleared up.

I suggested Murad to my cousins (one is 21 and the other is 14) and they both love it, they said it was soo much better than ProActiv.

I wish I had pictures to show y'all, cause it is seriously like those commercials. Within a month all of our skins were clear.

It is a bit "pricey" for the 3 month supply, but well worth it.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I had bad, and I do mean BAD acne when I started my cycle (at age 9). Every year, for school, I had the "pimple picture" as it was dubbed by the family.
My Mom then got me Avon acne medicated treatment face soap. I used that every morning and every night. That worked out the best!
Noxzema didn't do very well for me. It dried out my skin too much because my skin is already very oily.
Stress will definetly cause you to break out. Try the Avon if you can and hopefully it works.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow... I've never even HEARD of Murad Acne Complex. Sounds good, though.

Libra, thanks for the heads up on the Avon acne medicated treatment face soap - I could use it.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the truth, for me at least. I spent many years and many dollars on expensive products and antibiotics. Nothing worked. It seemed that it got worse as I hit 30.

One year when I was having my annual exam at the OBGYN, the nurse practitioner talked to me about it. Honestly, she brought it up and boy was I happy. She prescribed Ortho Tri Cyclen. My skin cleared up in three weeks.

I have 3 cousins that are OBGYNs (all out of state). None of them believe that one brand can help over another, but Ortho Tri Cyclen and Tri Cyclen-Lo are approved by the FDA for acne.

After my skin cleared up, I was talking to my aunt. She then told me that when she was in her 30s, the doctor put her on birth control too to clear it up. Evidently, in our family, it's hormones that cause it, not dirt, what you eat or whatever else. I'm not saying that it's for everyone; some of my friends refuse to go on the pill because of fear they will gain weight (says the 85 pound Ironwomen).

If nothing else works, talk to your doctor.

Last edited by Benzgirl; 02-08-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto what Benzgirl said. I had HORRIBLE cystic acne that wouldn't clear up with anything. I tried damn dear every topical cream and wash out there, and it wasn't until I was put on Ortho Tri Cyclen as a last resort before Acutane (I did NOT want to go there) that my skin cleared up. I recently switched to OTC Lo, and I think its even better. So seriously, if nothing helps, talk to your doctor.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice, girls. Sounds like I'm going to have to play hardball and get my doc involved. Le sigh...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
I didn't have real bad acne, but i almost always had problems, especially around my chin. I tried Murad and it helped some, but didn't clear everything up. I got frustrated and created my own routine too. I put tea tree oil on my problem areas each morning, moisturize with Olay Sensitive and put neosporin on the trouble areas each night, regardless if there are any problems. I still wash with the Murad, but it's almost out and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep using it or not. I've done it for several months and it's done a great job! If I change the routine for more than 2 days, i start to have some problems.

I get the tea tree oil from The Body Shop and I've heard you can get it at health food stores or places like GNC. It's kind of expensive, but it lasts a while. It's a natural antibacterial product.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
I've always had a hard time with my skin due to the fact that I work out doors a lot and I spend a lot of time at the gym/exercising. I've tried damn near everything as well, ProActive, AcneFree, supplements, birth control, you name it. I was starting to get pissed because I wanted nice skin for the wedding, so someone on another board I read suggested going to www.acne.org and reading their regimen. Sure enough, as simple as it sounds, it worked. My skin looks 100 times better.
Thanks for the suggestion! I checked out the website (which is super corny, btw) and I've been trying "The Regimen" for a few days and it already seems to be helping. I have to say, though, it's really irritating to the skin... hopefully that goes away with a little bit of time.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
it's really irritating to the skin... hopefully that goes away with a little bit of time.
You have to be careful with things like that. If it doesn't go away in a few days, I'd suggest to stop. If it irrates the skin, that means it could make the acne problem worse!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

Hello

Yeah i too skin problems,,,, i use many lotions then too they are not clear,,,, actually what ever lotion i use it dries on spot and my skin shows again roughly,,,, can you give suggestions ....