GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,286
0 members and 1,286 guests
No Members online

Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Question about rushing

Hey everyone, in a few weeks, I will be able to attend rush week for the fraternities, and I just had a quick question for people. We have 4 days of rushing, where we show up, get food, and just talk. I am really only interested in joining one fraternity, but I will be attending 1 or 2 others. If there a specific day I should attend to ensure that i get a bid, or should I just show up and get to know the people I don't already know? I am friends with almost every brother in the house, there are just a few I don't know. Do you have any tips?

Last edited by Kraken; 12-31-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 AM

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.
what do you mean? I am only focusing on one or 2 houses because i have gone to the others for recruitment events and I don't see myself with that crowd. I was just told by a few brother to meet everyone I don't already know, and act normal and then I should be fine. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips for rush week
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Hey everyone, in a few weeks, I will be able to attend rush week for the fraternities, and I just had a quick question for people. We have 4 days of rushing, where we show up, get food, and just talk. I am really only interested in joining one fraternity, but I will be attending 1 or 2 others. If there a specific day I should attend to ensure that i get a bid, or should I just show up and get to know the people I don't already know? I am friends with almost every brother in the house, there are just a few I don't know. Do you have any tips?
She means that you come off as if you think you are guaranteed to get a bid. That is rude and offensive to GLO members.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

A general guideline to follow is that when you are invited by a member to attend a specific rush event/party, you should attend that event.

In this case, you have been given advice from a few members to "just show up" and get to know the brothers you do not already know. While that may not be a specific invite per say, members are giving you "directions" as to what you should do in hopes of getting a bid.

As such, my advice would be to attend the first day. And if you don't meet all the brothers that first day, come back the next day. And the next if need be.

Best of luck.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

About counting your chickens...

It's just that recruitment can have unexpected outcomes. Plenty of people have heard "you'll be fine if" only to find themselves bidless when it's over with. Say one of the guys you've yet to meet ends up thinking you won't be a good fit. Depending on what the member selection process is, that one thing could keep you out even if other guys really think you belong. You're only fine when that bid is in your hand.

In addition to not counting chickens, it's also smart to not put all your eggs in a single basket. This, too, can lead to disappointment. It sounds like you're planning to visit a favorite and maybe one or two more? Attend as many events as you can, meet as many brothers as you can and put your best foot forward. Best wishes to you!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
She means that you come off as if you think you are guaranteed to get a bid. That is rude and offensive to GLO members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
About counting your chickens...

It's just that recruitment can have unexpected outcomes. Plenty of people have heard "you'll be fine if" only to find themselves bidless when it's over with. Say one of the guys you've yet to meet ends up thinking you won't be a good fit. Depending on what the member selection process is, that one thing could keep you out even if other guys really think you belong. You're only fine when that bid is in your hand.

In addition to not counting chickens, it's also smart to not put all your eggs in a single basket. This, too, can lead to disappointment. It sounds like you're planning to visit a favorite and maybe one or two more? Attend as many events as you can, meet as many brothers as you can and put your best foot forward. Best wishes to you!
Thanks for your help. I didnt mean to sound like I expect a bid, I was just told that because i have an interest in taking a house position and helping the house, I should be safe, but I understand not to expect anything.

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. I guess I am just going to show up t some houses, act myself, meet as many people as I can, and hope for the best.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope you find a great brotherhood! Update and let us know how things go!