GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,084
2 members and 1,082 guests
Sarak24034, zsamulpitt5293

Old 09-14-2017, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Not showing up PNM list??

*Not showing up ON PNM list

Rush is still ongoing at my school, and I don't believe I had any potentially alarming stats or go to a very competitive school according to Greek Chat standards, as I've done some reading here. However, I was surprised by my invite list for first invite after open house, as while I didn't go in expecting a full list or to even have many "competitive" houses, I was surprised that of all the houses on campus, I only got invites from a couple/around 22% of them (there are many, almost 20) and I had not ranked 75% of them as #1 after open house (we have #1 slots for the max number of houses we can return to).

Then I heard from a friend in a house who'd written me a rec herself (and according to her that should have carried me to first because of their policy) who was upset that I wasn't invited back. I told her about my small invite list, and she asked their chapter's computer chair who told her (and I have screenshots) that she couldn't find me in the recorded registered PNM's, either by name or PNM number and that's why she hadn't matched me to the rec, which she could find, or put me on the list for first invite. She then suggested they keep me in mind for a snap bid as she didn't think they'd make quota anyway.

My friend says this is clearly a computer snafu, and while I want to reach out to Panhell to see if this was more widespread (as there are so many houses I would have liked to be invited back to/seem more of), I would like some advice in doing so. How do I provide substantial proof without naming my friend and her sorority? Have any of you come across issuess like this, and what happened? I would like to think I'd get some invites back if there is an issue, but first already happened, and I didn't go to a majority of the houses, though I did go to every house that invited me back and tried to perform well. Would it be wrong to tell friends in other houses if something did go wrong and ask them if they could consider advocating for me if they need to snap bid (my school is limited, not no contact, by the way)?

I don't know if it's worth saying I did register late, probably right before the portal closed (did it day of), though I was assigned a number.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Helpme222; 09-14-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Clarified the title, added a detail
Old 09-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Why are you asking us? Take any proof to Panhellenic as soon as possible.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Why are you asking us? Take any proof to Panhellenic as soon as possible.
Hi, I've drafted an email already and will also call in the morning when I don't have class, but I am a little worried about what exactly "limited contact" means and don't want to get my friend's sorority in trouble. I know Panhell probably deals with a lot of upset girls, and so I figured I should provide proof and as much of it as soon as possible (maybe screenshots with names/photos blacked out), but I don't want the attention to land on how this discovery was made.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes - go to the Greek Adviser now. if you don't want to show the message -just say one of your rec writers was upset that you weren't invited back because she said it's required for her group. Also, could you have registered in your "goes by" name and the form be in your given name or some combo thereof? That happens frequently!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

And I wouldn't say the writer is a current member. Let them think it's an alum.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 PM

This is interesting. These things usually do not happen.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpme222 View Post
*Not showing up ON PNM list

Rush is still ongoing at my school, and I don't believe I had any potentially alarming stats or go to a very competitive school according to Greek Chat standards, as I've done some reading here. However, I was surprised by my invite list for first invite after open house, as while I didn't go in expecting a full list or to even have many "competitive" houses, I was surprised that of all the houses on campus, I only got invites from a couple/around 22% of them (there are many, almost 20) and I had not ranked 75% of them as #1 after open house (we have #1 slots for the max number of houses we can return to).

Then I heard from a friend in a house who'd written me a rec herself (and according to her that should have carried me to first because of their policy) who was upset that I wasn't invited back. I told her about my small invite list, and she asked their chapter's computer chair who told her (and I have screenshots) that she couldn't find me in the recorded registered PNM's, either by name or PNM number and that's why she hadn't matched me to the rec, which she could find, or put me on the list for first invite. She then suggested they keep me in mind for a snap bid as she didn't think they'd make quota anyway.

My friend says this is clearly a computer snafu, and while I want to reach out to Panhell to see if this was more widespread (as there are so many houses I would have liked to be invited back to/seem more of), I would like some advice in doing so. How do I provide substantial proof without naming my friend and her sorority? Have any of you come across issuess like this, and what happened? I would like to think I'd get some invites back if there is an issue, but first already happened, and I didn't go to a majority of the houses, though I did go to every house that invited me back and tried to perform well. Would it be wrong to tell friends in other houses if something did go wrong and ask them if they could consider advocating for me if they need to snap bid (my school is limited, not no contact, by the way)?

I don't know if it's worth saying I did register late, probably right before the portal closed (did it day of), though I was assigned a number.

Thank you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is interesting. These things usually do not happen.
QFP
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have seen CampusDirector goof up badly once before, where it gave a PNM a bid to a chapter she didn't even pref (and yes, we had to pull her out of that chapter's bid day party and bring her to where she really belonged, and yes, that wasn't super pleasant) so I suppose it's possible. Very odd though.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 AM

I've not worked with any of the systems but I'm curious how some sororities had you on their list if the majority did not.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd like to see the definition of "limited, not no contact". Don't think it means what you think it means.

Because I am pretty sure that discussing recruitment-related matters with an active during recruitment is excluded. "Limited" as I have seen it practiced means that you can say "hello" to actives in class, for example. You don't have to pretend that they are invisible and vice versa. But talking about recruitment with them while it's ongoing is a violation and will bring about consequences from the College Panhellenic.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpme222 View Post
Then I heard from a friend in a house who'd written me a rec herself (and according to her that should have carried me to first because of their policy) who was upset that I wasn't invited back.
This is inaccurate. Even legacies which are a far cry from mere recommendations are not guaranteed a place on any invitation lists. The only exception is for legacies and the final bid list, but that in no way applies to you.

You had a bad rush. Your friend who is one vote among MANY does not have the power to control the invitation list, and the chapter members are (for good reason) left in the dark over the exact list. So your friend was either speaking out her ass or just trying to be nice and say you were supposed to be on the list.

I would not continue this fight; it will only make you look bad. If you want to try again in the future, really think about what happened. Are your grades REALLY ok? Were you dressed appropriately for rush at your school? Were you weird, uncomfortable, awkward? Have a little sit-down with yourself and figure out what could have been done differently. Then adapt and move forward.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I have seen CampusDirector goof up badly once before, where it gave a PNM a bid to a chapter she didn't even pref (and yes, we had to pull her out of that chapter's bid day party and bring her to where she really belonged, and yes, that wasn't super pleasant) so I suppose it's possible. Very odd though.
Didn't the chapter have to sign a bid card? I thought it was standard practice for a chapter officer(s) to sign the bid cards (e.g. chapter president, advisor, membership VP) before they are distributed.

OP, I would also leave this alone and continue with the groups you have on your invitation list, and don't spend time and energy on what is likely a goose chase. If the "computer chair" really thought you should have been invited and couldn't find you on the list, she would have already contacted Panhel on behalf of the chapter to see what was going on with the system. Even if you registered late, the system obviously has you registered for you be assigned a rush group, counselor, list of parties, etc.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:26 PM

I cannot divulge a whole lot without getting into member selection but if you have worked with this system before, you know this does not happen.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
This is inaccurate. Even legacies which are a far cry from mere recommendations are not guaranteed a place on any invitation lists. The only exception is for legacies and the final bid list, but that in no way applies to you.
Maybe that applies to your sorority, but not to all. Ditto for your statement about the final bid list.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-15-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Wait, what?

Is she saying an active sister wrote a rec for her, for her own chapter? I thought that didn't fly - that active sisters (in some groups) could write a rec for, say, a woman rushing DD chapter if they are a member of EE chapter, but not a rec for EE chapter. If that was the case sisters would be writing recs all through rush.