GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,161
2 members and 1,159 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-14-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Daughter's initiation

My daughter was initiated last night into Alpha Xi Delta at a small university in the South. Long story short, she went through formal rush but was completely overwhelmed by the process, and also wasn't sure if she really wanted to be a sorority girl, so, in spite of a having a full schedule, she dropped out on day four. (I was contacted that day by three sorority representatives, telling me how sorry they were that she had dropped, a gesture I appreciated very much.) Anyway, two weeks later my daughter decided she would like to be a part of Greek life after all, and accepted a COB bid. We attended a wonderful sorority event this weekend and met all of her pledge class and new sisters. She is more excited and happy than even I thought she would be. So, we now add to our Greek family of two ADPis, Alpha Chi Omega, and Kappa Sigma-Alpha Xi Delta!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
We do love a happy ending! Congrats to your daughter.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Woo Hoo another AXiD. Congratulations to your daughter.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 11-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I just want to invite everyone to the ADPi Forum, to read what the Alpha Xi Deltas did prior to Belle's daughter's initiation! It is SO moving - would that EVERY sorority did something similar!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
What a wonderful tradition ... thank you for sharing that with us.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

congratulations to your daughter on her initiation!!

i just took a peek in the adpi forum to see what honey was talking about. WOW!! what a lovely, lovely thing for the alpha xi delta chapter to do. i teared up just reading it!!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 11-14-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
congratulations to your daughter on her initiation!!

i just took a peek in the adpi forum to see what honey was talking about. WOW!! what a lovely, lovely thing for the alpha xi delta chapter to do. i teared up just reading it!!
I did, too! That's why I thought y'all would like to see it. BBelle, I hope you don't mind my sharing it - your daughter is just so beautiful, inside AND outside, and AXD should be terribly proud to have her!! I LOVE that tradition!!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

OP,

That really is a lovely tradition on the part of your D's chapter. How wonderful it was that all the neophytes/pre-initiates had relatives near enough to participate. It sounds as if both D and the AZD chapter each made an excellent choice!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to all, and Honey, of course, I don't mind!

As a slight hijack to my own thread, something else this chapter did that I thought was cute was the way that they did their Big Sis Discovery. It was a scavenger hunt all over the campus. At the end of the hunt their big sisters and the rest of the chapter were waiting to receive them, with baskets overflowing with gifts with the sorority letters. (My daughter was overwhelmed w/ what all they received: sweat pants, boxer shorts, flip flops, slippers, key chains, sweatshirts, mugs, picture frames, etc.)

Anyway, a little "twist" that the sisters did was to deliberately pad their Facebook profiles with incorrect pieces of information about themselves, done to fool the pledges, whom they knew would be trying to figure out who their big sisters might be. (Each pledge was able to list four or five girls they would like as their "big." The girls were then given a few facts about their big sister so that they could make up a gift basket to present to her on Big Sis Discovery night.) Well, it worked! My daughter said that each girl in her pledge class went running up to the girl that they just "knew" was their big sister! There was much hugging, jumping up and down, etc, and then the sisters gave the pledges their new jerseys-on the back were the words "Blank's little". At that point the girls realized who their new big sisters really were! My daughter said that the looks on everyone's faces was just priceless. Needless to say, there was much running around to find their real big sisters in the crowd, hugging, etc. She kept me on the phone the next day for thirty minutes, describing the whole evening in detail, from finding each clue with a puzzle piece, to the reveal. Cute, cute, cute! She said her class definitely wants to do that to their little sisters next year!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I am sooo excited for you and your daughter! AZD sounds like a great place for her!

When our oldest daughter was being initiated onto AOII, the chapter called and asked each initiate's parents to write a letter to her to be read before the ceremony. They advised that it be funny--so we did that. Four years later, Baby Berry was being initiated into AOII at another school and the chapter called and only said they needed a letter. We wrote another really crazy one talking about the stuff she did when she was little...right before the ceremony, aopinthesky's daughter called and asked if we could send one for our niece too since she hadn't gotten one. We wrote another dorky one.

After the ceremony, BB called and said, 'Moooom--mmmmm! Everybody else had these serious, touching letters and ours were all about times we wet on the floor or picked our noses and worse!"

I will always check for details after this.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter and AXiD!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to the new Alpha xi Delta! May she wear her quill proudly!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
When our oldest daughter was being initiated onto AOII, the chapter called and asked each initiate's parents to write a letter to her to be read before the ceremony. They advised that it be funny--so we did that. Four years later, Baby Berry was being initiated into AOII at another school and the chapter called and only said they needed a letter. We wrote another really crazy one talking about the stuff she did when she was little...right before the ceremony, aopinthesky's daughter called and asked if we could send one for our niece too since she hadn't gotten one. We wrote another dorky one.

After the ceremony, BB called and said, 'Moooom--mmmmm! Everybody else had these serious, touching letters and ours were all about times we wet on the floor or picked our noses and worse!"

I will always check for details after this.

LOL That's awful.....but really, really funny!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-17-2006, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats, B!! I know that your dau will be very happy with her new chapter!

I enjoyed reading about the candle ceremony.

Lynn
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

What a wonderful story with a very happy ending. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations. I did take a peek on the ADPi forum. Loved how the chapter made it special for both the parents and daughters.