GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,096
0 members and 1,096 guests
No Members online

Old 05-22-2000, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Suing for membership?

I'm curious to know anyone's thoughts regarding those who decide to sue an organization for membership after they've been turned down. What does this say to you about their character and their potential commitment level to the organization?

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2000, 05:19 PM
word

That is pathetic and disgraceful that someone would do that. Unfortunately, with our legal system, a lot of people are probably able to get away with it.
Old 05-22-2000, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

To sue an organization in order to be a part of it may have its merits when you have been discrimanated against. But if you sue a Greek organization, that's pretty pathetic! I can't imagine wanting be a part of a sisterhood that did not want me.
Old 05-25-2000, 02:27 AM
QuietStorm1913

Why would anybody want to be a part of a chapter that turned them down? And even if they successfully sue and get into the organization, they will not get respect from their sorors/frats. I think that those persons should try again or pledge a graduate chapter.
Old 05-25-2000, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
The very process of pledging a Sorority is discriminatory. Typically the process has a high level of subjectivity. That's not new. If the girls don't want you...why on earth would one want them? It's an abusive relationship. Codependent. Like I always say, Sorority life is not for everyone.

It's too bad that often girls get so seduced by what they think they know about a Sorority, to later find out it was not what they really wanted and go inactive just as soon as they cross.

Quote:
Originally posted by celestial:
To sue an organization in order to be a part of it may have its merits when you have been discrimanated against. But if you sue a Greek organization, that's pretty pathetic! I can't imagine wanting be a part of a sisterhood that did not want me.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 05-25-2000, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
The process of choosing a sorority is in fact discriminatory. ( I hope that I spelled it right ) These are private not for profit organizations and they should have the right to deny or give membership to whomever they want. Why be a part of an organization or chapter (Believe me Drama happens in chapters) that doesn't want you? I had beef with one of the girls of a chapter of a sorority and that may have hindered me getting turned down (among other things) But I plan to try again when she graduates and hope to be a member of that sorority in the future . Sueing for membership is pathetic... that means you couldn't get in on your OWN MERIT!!! Please take that to heart. Do you want your soror and frat's respect? Then enter the org the right way, instead of trying toi skate your way to membership.(***Amen***) Doing this only proves that you were only self interested and ARE NOT GOING TO BE AN ASSET TO YOUR ORG ANYWAY!!! .

------------------
In complete darkness we are all the same... It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us... Don't let your eyes deceive you

The Diva Truth
Old 05-28-2000, 01:08 AM
phibaby

Part of going through rush is you never are assured a bid. To sue after being turned down is tacky, why would you want to be apart of something that didn't want you. Going greek is only special if you are chosen to join.