GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,556
0 members and 1,556 guests
No Members online

Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Other APO groups

I saw a few days ago on some other thread on this site a post regarding badges from other groups that had used the letters APO prior to us.

This got me wondering has anyone from nationals (or a chapter for that matter) every done research into these groups just to see what they practiced and anything interesting about them?

I know most of them were local organizations and a quick google search brings up a few University library websites with some collections/ basic information about them but that's about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had contact with one of these groups or knows any thing about them since I think its a neat coincidence that we shar letters and wonder what else we might have in common as well.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Joseph View Post
I saw a few days ago on some other thread on this site a post regarding badges from other groups that had used the letters APO prior to us.

This got me wondering has anyone from nationals (or a chapter for that matter) every done research into these groups just to see what they practiced and anything interesting about them?

I know most of them were local organizations and a quick google search brings up a few University library websites with some collections/ basic information about them but that's about it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had contact with one of these groups or knows any thing about them since I think its a neat coincidence that we shar letters and wonder what else we might have in common as well.
What would you like to know? Groups are known to have existed at Wake Forest, North Georgia Agricultural College (now North Georgia State U.), Toledo University (now University of Toledo), University of Cincinnati (which started in 1930 rather than before us), Ripon, North Dakota Agricultural College and Texas Mines, now UTEP. Rather than repeat myself, take a look at my postings on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/groups/6799907567/ in Mid September...

Right now I'm working with an APO-Philippines brother and a brother from Greekchat to try to link as many pins to their respective college as possible.

I have talked over email with a brother from the group at UTEP and have verified what that group's pin was. The group at UTEP was limited to Engineers, all of the other groups that I've located have been General Local Fraternities. I have not been able to identify why any of the groups picked Alpha Phi Omega.

As for research from Nationals, my guess is that some was done when the Trademark was registered in 1929 (Baird's Manual was probably checked), but by 1929 with 10 or 11 chapters, we were stronger than any of the locals. Also, research might have been done about the situation at Ripon College where the local Alpha Phi Omega general fraternity was still active when Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity got there in the 1960s (Ripon and Texas Mines were the main ones that survived well past WWII). The administration at UTEP derecognized the engineering group when APONSF got there, Scouts were apparently better than Engineers.

We've verified the pins for Wake Forest (like a leaf), Toledo University (Diamond shaped), U of Cincinnati (upper right has windmill shape), and UTEP (thick cross with the corners connected by chains making sort of an octagon. But *several* others need verification.

For fun, take a look at the Alpha Phi Omega pins at http://photos.thefraternityguru.com/...Photo&ci=42240

YiLFS
Randy

Last edited by naraht; 11-05-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: add link to pins.