GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,634
2 members and 2,632 guests
Xidelt

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Distance is to love as wind is to fire. If the love is strong like a strong wind then the fire will keep burning and grow but if it's weak the fire can turn off. I know this from personal experience during my military (ANG/Reserve) travels to the sandbox and leaving my spouse behind. Best of luck.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

5 years and going!
First it was 4 hours (I was at Iowa & he at Purdue (We met at Iowa then he transferred))
Then it was 1 hour (I graduated & moved back home to the Chicago suburbs & he was still at Purdue)
Now it's 2.5 hours (I'm still home, but he graduated & got a job at Caterpillar in Peoria, IL)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

My DH & I were in a long distance relationship for five years prior to getting engaged, and ten more being engaged before getting married. This past year has been interesting!

Even though we talked 4-5 times a day, I never realized how many hours a day he worked! He leaves about 9am, and the earliest he's come back is 7pm. I've checked, it's honest work - seems to be the curse of the SID job (he's even typing as I write this!). I didn't realize that he didn't know how to budget or never kept a savings account, while he was amazed that I had a savings account since I was 8 years old.

It's little things like that which you miss in a long distance relationship, but if we had finished the premarital counseling like we were supposed to, they would have been covered.

One pastor friend of mine had a wonderful expression: You Gotta Wanna. If you want something badly enough, you will do whatever it takes to get it. Both DH & I are totally committed to this marriage, and have taken many steps towards maintaining it. Sure, something could come up in the future that changes this, but it won't be from the lack of trying!

In short, IMHO, a long distance relationship CAN work, but you really do gotta wanna!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
My DH & I were in a long distance relationship for five years prior to getting engaged, and ten more being engaged before getting married. This past year has been interesting!
That's an awfully long engagement! We have a 4 year engagement (a little over 2.5 down so far) and it's killling me. I admire people who have patience
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Fiance and I will have been together 8 years this February, the past 3.5 of which have been in an LDR. We'll finally be done with the whole LDR situation in May, and are getting married in June. I am literally counting down the days. Kudos to anyone who has been in/is in a long-distance relationship. It is TOUGH and honeychile is right - you really do have to want to make it work.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Definitely agree with that. May is our 7 year anniversary and we've been long distance the whole time; we'll be getting married a few weeks after our 8 year. We're a lot closer now (Chicago to South Bend) than when I started this thread, but it never gets easier. I just cannot wait to finally be living with my fiance.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
I was in an LDR for 6 years before moving in with him. Honeychile said it better than I could. :-)