GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,131
4 members and 2,127 guests
John

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Dating in the Greek System

Hey everyone! I am currently a sophomore sorority member at my school and I don't feel like I've been successful in my dating life so far. I've never been on a date and I would like to change that. I attend many swaps and go to the fraternity houses often, but I still haven't connected with a guy at my school. Does anyone have any advice on how I can change my dating situation?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My advice is to not even concern yourself with it. Find yourself something you really love doing, and focus all your energy on that. It could be a sport, club, field of study, whatever. Since you're in a sorority you probably already have a strong social support system that will occupy you emotionally. This will help because one, if you feel your life is complete you won't feel like you're waiting around for someone to pursue you and two, guys tend to like girls who are confident and secure with themselves and have passions.
hope this helps!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 PM

I thought people didn't "date" anymore.

If you mean you have never been to a fraternity date party or formal, well guess what, you might go your whole college career without doing that.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

^considerably less than before i'm sure, but it still happens. I guess it depends on the type of person you run into and what your standards are.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Focus on building up all the important areas your life - your interests, your studies, your sisterhood, your career options, your faith (if you have one) and everything else will fall into place. It sounds trite, but love often comes when you're least expecting it (that is, if you're looking for love and not just "hook-ups; I'm old, sorry).

If you don't focus on yourself at some point, there won't be much of you to go around when you do find someone.

Good luck. You're young.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

The advice you are receiving here in this thread is good and true. Going looking for love/chasing men will get you all the wrong men and run off the good ones. However if you are involved on campus, and a cutie seems friendly, ask him if he wants to get coffee/Pinkberry or study. Ask a guy friend to your date party. Be casual but sincere about your invitations. You might meet one of his guy friends who is perfect for you. You will be turned down 4 out of 5 times, boys have had to endure that for centuries. Whatever you do, keep your standards for him and yourself high, and I'm not talking about looks or money but about character and integrity. "Fratstars" usually believe their own press, and will disappoint you in more ways than one.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 03-27-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Mr. Poppins was not in a Fraternity because his school did not have them.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

as for sorority formals and date parties, I know lots of girls who just ask a guy friend on campus, a guy that might be in a study group with, or a guy they know is a nice guy from one of their classes.