GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 613
0 members and 613 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes. Until/unless this changes, the majority of NPC alums, if you ask them, will hold more affection for their chapter than their national organization.
Considering recent activity, I'd say that the above is 100% true with me.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
OMG! the total opposite is true for me! My chapter can come and go but Phi Mu is so much bigger than my chapter!
If my chapter wasn't there it would be because of ...Whatever reason you can throw at me violently out of anger.

However, for those who are SLOW THIS IS MY POINT COMING UP:
I'd still be a Phi Mu. <---- (MY POINT RIGHT THERE!!!! WOW! YAY!)
My littles would still mean the world to me.
I'd still seek out an alumnae chapter (as I will be doing soon after graduation!).

Having been to 2 State Days and the Southeastern Panhellenic Conference and meeting former and current national president's of various orgs. (including my own and Theta Phi Alpha's-I love that woman! FOR CLARIFICAION FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOST-these women are NOT my best friends!)
I know that I could work for my nationals and contribute far more there and with other chapters than I can do in my own because I only have 21/2 years in my chapter, but a lifetime to give back to all of them.

I chose my org. for the history and beliefs and symbos as much as I did the women. The girls brought me in and Mary, Mary, and Martha sealed the deal.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 04-16-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 PM

I considered both when I joined. I fell in love with the chapter when I started COB. Once I started talking to the members and learning more about the national level of Sigma, I wanted to join even more. I loved the prospect of having sisters EVERYWHERE and having something to be involved in AFTER graduation.

Now that I am an alumna in training to become a national volunteer, I see the "bigger picture" of Sigma much more. I am still a big help to my collegiate chapter when they need it, but I realize that working with nationals helps to ensure the longevity of the sorority, which is most important. Without volunteers and support, there would be NO Sigma for anyone to enjoy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
OMG! the total opposite is true for me! My chapter can come and go, I would feel a little bad

If my chapter wasn't there it would be because of their own fault
WOW.

I bet your thisclose second choice is saying "WHEW" right now.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
WOW.

I bet your thisclose second choice is saying "WHEW" right now.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't have much of a choice. My first semester in school, there was only one sorority on campus, and for the specific reason that I DIDNT have a choice - it was them, or nobody, I didn't join. Even though the girls in the chapter at that time were nice enough to me, I had other things going on in my life that it felt retarded to me to join the single sorority on campus for the sheer fact of "if you want to join a sorority, we're you're only option. Deal with it." No, they never actually said that - but me knowing that they were my only choice made me not want too join.

My second semester in school, Alpha Xi Delta colonized and I became a part of it. Did I join for the chapter? Nope, there was no chapter. At the time, I DID join for what it (the organization as a whole) could offer me, in the big scheme of things. However, once we got things off the ground and running, I become incredibly devoted to my chapter. On a national level, I went to my first convention as delegate a year after we installed. I began to meet sisters from the other state of GA chapters, due to regional officer training, and state day (which is our founders day celebration). I began to learn what Alpha Xi Delta was on a larger scale, but as an undergraduate, my devotion was to my chapter.

Since I am an older member, one of the alumnae associations has invited me to alot of their events they've held this year - I went to one last week. It sorta depresses me when I go to hang out with them, and realize I'm STILL older than half the women in the room! But - I have fun, and I enjoy meeting sisters who arent from my own chapter and having a good time with them. I'll always be devoted to MY chapter - but I'm finally beginning to experience the "big picture" part of it as well.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you ladies misunderstood me. I meant that if in the furture my chapter wasn't there, it would be due to something internal, whatever would be going on as that is normally why chapters close. I didn't mean I wouldn't care at all, I only meant that if they HAD to close for whatever reason, it would most likely be bad and deserved. I'm not saying they are closing or are doing anything wrong now! DO NOT OVERREAD! LOL!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you ladies misunderstood me. I meant that if in the furture my chapter wasn't there, it would be due to something internal, whatever would be going on as that is normally why chapters close. I didn't mean I wouldn't care at all, I only meant that if they HAD to close for whatever reason, it would most likely be bad and deserved. I'm not saying they are closing or are doing anything wrong now! DO NOT OVERREAD! LOL!
I understood what you meant. Because I feel that personally, I have busted my butt the past 3 years to keeep my chapter going since our colonization and installation. I've done everything I could on a local level. If once I graduate, something were to happen (but it's totally not), there's nothing more I can do other than be a supportive alumna.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
There's no overreading involved. You're just automatically assuming that if your chapter was closed (God forbid), that it would be because of something your chapter sisters did. You're assuming the worst of people who are supposed to be your best friends, which I find absolutely disgusting.

Chapters close for LOTS of reasons and not all of them are due to internal strife or policy violations. New policies regarding Greek life that harm chapters, housing issues, new colonies coming on campus...there are as many reasons as there are chapters. Please talk to some of those national presidents who are your BFFs, I'm sure they could fill you in.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

sweetie, why do you assume i meant people i know within my chapter? I'm talking about beign attached to the chapter more than the national to the point where if 10 years down the road the chapter is doing god-know-what then it's not a HUGE loss because I don't put my chapter before all because I'm not crazy obssessed alumna.

You obviously don't understand what I'm saying, because you are talking about a COMPLETELY different scenario then I am and it's the internet so no amount of typing that I can do can make you because you've taken my words and run...

But I can very clearly tell you that you aren't thinking the same scenario that I was trying to describe and leave it at that.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I think most PNMs go thorugh recruitment knowing that any of the NPC GLOs offer benefits because of their national/international presence. When I went through rush, Gamma Phi Beta was my second choice (!), and one reason was because I did not know of it nationally. During my collegiate days I loved my chapter, just as I love my immediate family - they are the ones I know best. I've come to think of other NPC members as my cousins - not as close as sisters, but still related and beloved.
Once I graduated and became involved in Alumnae Panhellenics (which I strongly advise for all alumnae!) I learned of Gamma Phi Beta's international presence and reputation. That was a pleasant surprise - and since my chapter closed, I have devoted myself to advancing the NPC system through my work with Alumnae Panhellenic. I've also been a chapter advisor, and of course do everything I can to support Gamma Phi Beta in particular.
As an aside, my chapter was closed not due to anything the members did or were. They were fantastic girls - we had the winner of the Outstanding Senior Woman award twice in three years, for example. But housing concerns and lower numbers meant they simply could not compete against better housed, larger groups. One reason I loved my chapter was because I love my alma mater. Not having a chapter at the school I am so fond of is sad for me. I'd love nothing better than to see it come back on campus. That's my somewhat selfish wish.
But here and now, I want to do all I can to encourage local girls to go through recruitment and share the joys of membership to any of the fine NPC GLOs. It's possible to love both - your chapter and your national/international GLO. The loves may be a little different, but that's okay!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
sweetie, why do you assume i meant people i know within my chapter? I'm talking about beign attached to the chapter more than the national to the point where if 10 years down the road the chapter is doing god-know-what then it's not a HUGE loss because I don't put my chapter before all because I'm not crazy obssessed alumna.

You obviously don't understand what I'm saying, because you are talking about a COMPLETELY different scenario then I am and it's the internet so no amount of typing that I can do can make you because you've taken my words and run...

But I can very clearly tell you that you aren't thinking the same scenario that I was trying to describe and leave it at that.

I understand what you're saying, although I can see where others would take it differently.

I feel somewhat the same, but I'd be pissed if the girls in my chapter did something to close my alum chapter. (like getting shut down for behavior or hazing or if they stopped caring about recruiting... not if it's something they can't help)

Being that I live so close to my alum chapter and still attend recruitment and some Greek Week events, I still kind of hold my chapter as more important. This used to totally be the case, until I attended regional leadership conferences and saw what Phi Mu was as a whole. Plus meeting Kathy Williams (past Natl President) gave me a whole new perspective of being a Phi Mu and made me see that the National level was just as important. Robin Fanning (current Natl President) has made me feel proud to be a member of my local chapter because not many sisters can say that their Natl Pres chartered their chapter and used to be their advisor. These two higher up Phi Mus give me different reasons to hold the local and National levels to similar importance.

KLTC
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
wow, you keep digging your hole bigger.

All I know is if anyone in my chapter, or any of my sisters in ANY chapter for that matter, would have spoken as callously as you did for no reason whatsoever, I would be extremely hurt. I'm not saying back up your chapter if they act like a bunch of a-holes - there are times when some of the actives in my chapter made me want to tear my hair out. However, to automatically assume that any time a chapter closes it's entirely the fault of the active chapter alone is just not the truth.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:

I think it's a sensitive subject for some who have been undergraduates (or recent grads) when their chapters were closed.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
wow, you keep digging your hole bigger.

All I know is if anyone in my chapter, or any of my sisters in ANY chapter for that matter, would have spoken as callously as you did for no reason whatsoever, I would be extremely hurt. I'm not saying back up your chapter if they act like a bunch of a-holes - there are times when some of the actives in my chapter made me want to tear my hair out. However, to automatically assume that any time a chapter closes it's entirely the fault of the active chapter alone is just not the truth.

If I'm not mistaken, she is relatively new so I don't think she knows of all the other reasons for a chapter getting shut down, such as housing and filling membership totals. I didn't know any of this before Greekchat because we don't have houses or a numbers problem so back then I just assumed that you could only close for bad behavior or hazing.

KLTC