GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The Panhellenic Aspect of Sorority Recruitment

OK, so I was in college "back in the day." For years I thought about my own chapter around recruitment time and wondered how they were and what they were doing. I never thought about any other campuses or chapters unless I knew someone that was in a particular chapter. But what I like about GC is the Panhellenic aspect of sorority recruitment. I like the thought that it is not about my own national and my own chapter but part of something larger, all chapter-encompassing. I want to know about the new colonizations of all Panhellenic chapters, which nationals are growing, which chapters are winning awards. It goes beyond being just a rush addict.

Recruitment will always be competitive. This is just the nature of recruitment. But I believe that the Panhellenic spirit is what recruitment is about now. It's not just about your own chapter, but all chapters everywhere. Sorority membership provides both a universal experience as well as a unique personal one.

The point of this thread (which I have been thinking alot about during this recruitment season) is that while we all love and appreciate our own chapters and nationals, we are all in this recuitment thing together. The sorority experience must be based on the Panhellenic experience - by NPC sorority membership, we are all members of Panhellenic and the Panhellenic spirit is what ultimately matters. We cannot exist without each other nor would we want to. So let's talk about just what makes recruitment truly Panhellenic.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you have in mind, but I was talking to a friend a work who had just taken her daughter off to college. At her campus, women wearing panhellenic t-shirts were helping with move in. My friend asked which group they were in, and they said that they weren't supposed to tell. The idea, I think, is that they are all out together representing sorority women in a positive way to increase the profile of the whole system. I think they have a delayed recruitment, so this will be the first contact that new students have with greek life.

On a different note, I find myself authentically cheering for chapters who pledge their legacies, no matter what group it is. It's just a sweet bond.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
My friend asked which group they were in, and they said that they weren't supposed to tell. The idea, I think, is that they are all out together representing sorority women in a positive way to increase the profile of the whole system.
That is a great sentiment.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a great suggestion for schools who are really hoping to grow their system and/or campus profile. Back when my sister was in college, the fraternities helped the girls move in, but I like it better that the "sisters are doing it for themselves." I don't remember anyone jumping out to help me move in. What's with that?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was at UK, we sorority members helped the freshmen move in every year. We wore jerseys with letters & as such represented our own chapters. I like the idea of not being able to tell - this does further the Panhellenic aspect.

I'm thinking of things like helping the new colony on campus have a smooth recruitment (for instance, at UK Alpha Phi just opened 2 years ago, and Phi Mu is colonizing this year). I'm talking about any effort to get beyond "your own chapter" and include others in the general recruitment theme.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
When I was at UK, we sorority members helped the freshmen move in every year. We wore jerseys with letters & as such represented our own chapters. I like the idea of not being able to tell - this does further the Panhellenic aspect.

I'm thinking of things like helping the new colony on campus have a smooth recruitment (for instance, at UK Alpha Phi just opened 2 years ago, and Phi Mu is colonizing this year). I'm talking about any effort to get beyond "your own chapter" and include others in the general recruitment theme.
That's really sweet barbino. I agree. When a new colony/ chapter comes to your campus, it would be great to help them.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't help with current PH efforts, but the query reminded me of rush at Mizzou in

The NPC groups were competitive and isolated in "siloes," to use a contemporary buzzword. There were fewer PNMs that year than in years past (and in years to come)--lingering effects of the counterculture/antiwar movement. Quota was lower in 1971 (25) than it had been in 1970 (34). It was my first year on the member-side of rush. Our chapter was small and we were anxious.

The first evening of workweek the Alpha Phis showed up on our front lawn, singing, "Hey, hey, hello, we are Alpha Phi. Hey, hey, hello, come along with us." We went outside and joined our chorus to theirs: "Hey, hey, hello, we are Alpha Gam..." and we and they moved along to the Chi O house....eventually the song morphed into "Hey, hey, hello, we are the Greeks." And we made our way throughout Greektown, stopping at each house and adding those women. (The fratboys weren't sure what to make of the swarm.<g>)

It was a very moving way to begin rush -- and obviously it made such an impression on me that I remember it clearly 40 years later!

Last edited by AGDAlum; 08-24-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Last year during my daughter's college visits to both Alabama and Auburn I would hear statistics showing that the Greek Communities of both campuses are right at 33-35% of the student body and while the Greek System is great there are so many other opportunities for students who are not Greek. Yet at both schools every Student Recruiter, Ambassador, and Group Leader I met was Greek. None of them ever shared their affiliation except to say all the Greek Organizations on their respective campus are awesome! Then when we went to orientation, both the parent and the student counselors we had were Greek - but couldn't share their membership, and on move in day the Panhellenic Leaders and the Pi Chis were all helping girls move into their dorms. I think they made a great effort in showing that they were a big Panhellenic Family made up of individual Greek cousins. (I'm stretching to make that family symbolism - forgive me if that relationship is wrong. I'm still learning.)

I am a proud Greek Momma now and hope I can be adopted into the family.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I refer to my panhellenic cousins - I'm from the south, and basically any relative who doesn't fit into a convenient designation is a "cousin".
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I read somewhere that at some campus (sorry, but someone will be able to fill in the blanks here and making all appropriate corrections to my swiss cheese memory) a couple of sororities are sharing their chapter houses with the colonizing chapter so they can have events in an actual chapter house. We know how disruptive that would be, so that is REALLY kind of them. Every one of those future colony members is going to have a warm spot for those host chapters for years to come! Now THAT's panhellenic.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
I can't help with current PH efforts, but the query reminded me of rush at Mizzou in

The NPC groups were competitive and isolated in "siloes," to use a contemporary buzzword. There were fewer PNMs that year than in years past (and in years to come)--lingering effects of the counterculture/antiwar movement. Quota was lower in 1971 (25) than it had been in 1970 (34). It was my first year on the member-side of rush. Our chapter was small and we were anxious.

The first evening of workweek the Alpha Phis showed up on our front lawn, singing, "Hey, hey, hello, we are Alpha Phi. Hey, hey, hello, come along with us." We went outside and joined our chorus to theirs: "Hey, hey, hello, we are Alpha Gam..." and we and they moved along to the Chi O house....eventually the song morphed into "Hey, hey, hello, we are the Greeks." And we made our way throughout Greektown, stopping at each house and adding those women. (The fratboys weren't sure what to make of the swarm.<g>)

It was a very moving way to begin rush -- and obviously it made such an impression on me that I remember it clearly 40 years later!
Tears, crying ~ what a memory.
What a wonderful way to begin rush.
What a wonderful way to begin recruitment today not to mention fun!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I refer to my panhellenic cousins - I'm from the south, and basically any relative who doesn't fit into a convenient designation is a "cousin".
Oh so true! lol
Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I read somewhere that at some campus (sorry, but someone will be able to fill in the blanks here and making all appropriate corrections to my swiss cheese memory) a couple of sororities are sharing their chapter houses with the colonizing chapter so they can have events in an actual chapter house. We know how disruptive that would be, so that is REALLY kind of them. Every one of those future colony members is going to have a warm spot for those host chapters for years to come! Now THAT's panhellenic.
I think that is Kentucky (Go CATS) sharing with Phi Mu.

ADPi will be the site for 2 different sisterhood events. The Theta house will host the bid day events.

Last edited by scrapinfificat; 08-24-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
That would be Phi Mu's Colonization at Kentucky.

Sunday, August 14, 2011:
Formal Recruitment - Open House Round

Tuesday, September 6-16, 2011:
Marketing, Public Relations and Personal Interviews
*Look for Phi Mu representatives on campus and stop by our information table to learn more about our new chapter at UK!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011:
"Pink goes with Everything" recruitment event
Event #1: 5-6pm
Event #2: 7-8 pm

Wednesday, September 14, 2011:
"Sweet on Sisterhood" recruitment event
Event #1: 6-7pm
Event #2: 8-9pm

Friday, September 16, 2011:
Phi Mu Bid Day, 3pm

Last edited by TSteven; 08-24-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: How did I forget GO CATS!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapinfificat View Post
I think that is Kentucky (Go CATS) sharing with Phi Mu.

ADPi will be the site for 2 different sisterhood events. The Theta house will host the bid day events.
Was "composing" while you were posting.