GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,915
0 members and 1,915 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

well, on skit day i was at XYZ, which i liked, but wasn't in love with. i was happy to be there & i'm sure i would have been excited to be part of their house if that's what happened.

anyway, the girl i was talking to ended up being from evansville & went to the same high school as a lot of my friends from IU (i had transferred to butler). i was so excited (i actually talked to someone who knew my friends at another house as well...really weird), so i started asking her if she knew my friends. she shook her head yes, but didn't really smile or talk much about it. well i got cut. ha.

later, i remembered her name so i went on my friend's facebooks (totally creepy, i know) to see if they were friends on there. we all know people add whoever went to their high school even if they didn't know them too well. needless to say she wasn't on there. i suppose she didn't like my friends & assumed i was like them...so didn't like me.

then, at another house i was well aware a girl from my high school was part of that sorority. i knew of her, but didn't know her well since she wasn't involved in much, if anything, in high school. i remember going in there praying i didn't talk or run into her...thankfully i didn't. anyway, everyone there was sooo awkward & we played this game where we would answer questions in a group. these questions were terrible. one question was "if you had to lose one of your 5 senses which one would it be & why?" i said "taste! i like to eat wayyyyy too much & it would keep me from eating." how terrible did that sound? hahaha. i really hate those types of games because it's obvious their house has trouble thinking of things to talk about, so they have to have a cookie cutter of what to talk about. anyway, i got cut & definitely wasn't disappointed. (i later found out that during their initiation week, they got drunk every night, etc. our initiation week is "dry"...even for those over 21. & if anyone found out we drank, we would be sent to standards. it definitely defeats the purpose & meaning of initiation if you are drunk the whole week. maybe that's just my opinion.)

also, i'm pretty sure i got cut from a house because of my kappa legacy.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a part of the Medieval Combat Club at my school (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out www.belegarth.com). I joined that my freshman year, and I have a lot of friends in it. My boyfriend is also a member. So I went into rush figuring that the houses should know I'm involved in that, since it's not like it's going to stop anytime soon. I could tell exactly which houses would not invite me back after the, "So, what other RSO's are you in?" I started with my leadership position in the Association of Residence Halls every time, and then went into the "You know the people who dress funny and hit each other with foam sticks on the quad? Yeah, I'm one of those" explanation. The only house that reacted positively was Pi Phi, and that's where I'm at.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

bevinpiphi, i am so glad that i was in the middle of steeping another cup of tea when i read you post, because i would surely be wiping down my computer screen right now. i could just see the expressions on the faces of the sisters who found out what you do in your spare time.

it sounds like fun to me and what a great way to work out stress and agression!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

duckgirl, i don't think anyone can be prepared for the first party on the first day of recruitment, no matter how many times the pnm is warned"you will be startled..it will be loud....etc." until you actually experience it. it is shocking!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

On the first day of recruitment we take tours at every house. While on a tour at the XYZ house, our group walks past a little room that had a TV in it. The girl who was taking me on the tour says, " This is our small living room. We all get together here and watch Flavor of Love! We love flavor of love!" I laughed and said "really?" because I thought she was joking. I guessed wrong. I was cut that day.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
On the first day of recruitment we take tours at every house. While on a tour at the XYZ house, our group walks past a little room that had a TV in it. The girl who was taking me on the tour says, " This is our small living room. We all get together here and watch Flavor of Love! We love flavor of love!" I laughed and said "really?" because I thought she was joking. I guessed wrong. I was cut that day.
Hahah that's really funny. I have a few sisters who were obsessed with that show.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
These are so funny!

I think I've figured out why a few chapters cut me...

First off, I rushed as a freshmen but dropped out after the first day of open house..Basically I was extremely overwhelmed by everything... I mean, college had just started, I broke up with a long term boyfriend, and worst of all my dad went into the hospital about 3 days after moving into school. Bad news. Anyway, something had to give, and it was recruitment. At the time I thought I wasn't really in love with it anyways.

Well, my cousin was a recent graduate of my school, and was a Chi Omega while she was there. She wrote me a rec and everything, but unfortunately, I dropped out before I even saw her house.

Flash forward to sophomore year, I was really debating on whether or not to rush again, but when I decided I didn't want have any regrets or "what if's" I decided I should go for it. I signed up the day before, and told my cousin I was going to give it another shot. I'm pretty sure she didn't write me a rec this time, because 1. It was such a short amount of time and 2. it was probably embarassing for her that she went and wrote the letter and I didn't show up.

So back to the reason I think I got cut... Well I finally made it to Chi O, and I was pretty nervous since I wanted to make a really good impression. Well I talked to about 3 or 4 girls, and I feel like I probably mentioned the fact I had a relative who was recently in the house...alot... I kept saying "I've been SO excited to come here!! My cousin was a Chi O here!! Her name was ___ do you know her?! I've actually been in your house when I was a junior in high school and I visited her!" I just kept going on and on and on... I think they thought I was relying on the fact that my cousin was a member. And then when they didn't receive a rec, I'm sure they got suspicious.. lol oh well

I'm also pretty sure that I got cut from Gamma Phi Beta because, looking back on it, I think I was rude with the first girl I talked to on first invites. Recruitment is competitive at my school, and the fact that I was a sophomore did not help me at all. So when I only got asked back to 5 chapters when you can have a maximum of 10, I was upset. Not to mention 3 of my 5 were my bottom 3...out of 18!!! So, I get to Gamma Phi, who were actually my second favorite at the time. However, with so little invites, they were my first chapter of the day. I was really excited to be back, but when the girl asked me "How is your day going so far?" I was honest..."Well this is my first one, I ONLY got 5 invites..." Yes. It did come out sounding that snobby. Poor thing, she was thrown off by my response, she was just like "Oh.. Okay..." I immediately realized my mistake and tried to save myself with a "But I'm so happy to be back at your chapter!!" (and I really was!).. but it was too late..

lol, at least I can look back now and laugh!!

Last edited by lovespink88; 05-20-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: I should really learn to proofread and spell check.. :)
Old 05-20-2008, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

At one of the sororities I visited, somehow the conversation with my rusher became one big (unintentional) trainwreck. The conversation was lagging and the girl seemed a little shy or maybe disinterested- in any case, I tried to make conversation but the first thing I thought to ask about was the time commitment involved. I didn't realize until she answered and got this look about her that it sounded as if I wasn't willing to put in any time! She had mentioned something about other activities so I jumped on that, and said I was just asking about scheduling because I knew a few sisters through dance and other organizations.. she got this look on her face and I realized that she thought I was just name-dropping. I realized I was just making things worse... there was this awkward pause, and there were a few people talking just next to us about something I could relate to- so desperately I kind of dragged the two of us into that conversation, not realizing that I was messing up their rotations and totally creeping out the sisters in the process. I was so glad to leave!

A friend of mine, who went through recruitment with me, ended up joining the other chapter that I preffed at, also went to pref at another sorority. She was quite skeptical of Greek life at the time, and ended up laughing all through their pref ceremony... needless to say, she did not receive a bid to that chapter! One of my sisters came through recruitment not to join a sorority, but to join ADPi; at each other sorority, she introduced herself: "Hi, I'm XXXXX and I'm joining ADPi". She is a force to be reckoned with, but she is a wonderful sister and one of the strongest members of our chapter.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Ohh!! I thought of another... At one chapter I visited during open house, the PNMs were seated in folding chairs while sisters of that chapter were kneeling on the floor in front of us. Well, when I was getting ready, I way miscalculated how long it would take me to get ready, so I ended up not having time to shave my legs. It had been about 4 days since I last shaved, and I have somewhat darker hair on my legs. However, I figured it was not noticeable unless your head was like a foot away from my legs, so I wore capris anyways. I had not anticipated that we would be sitting higher up than our rushers, so unfortunately, the poor girls I talked to had my gross legs pretty much in her face... I was so embarassed!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my daughter's story. It was the night before Pref and my daughter was at the house she wanted to join. Everything was going perfectly: The President of the house came over to say hi and hug her...a good friend from high school came over to say hi...and then she went on a house tour with a member that she didn't know but they had their major in common. While passing a bulletin board that had lots of pictures of the members at social activities the sister said to my daughter that she hated parties...hated getting a date to them...hated dressing for them...and especially hated getting a date. My daughter had a bunch of guy friends and said that she would be delighted to introduce her to them. (remember: same major). The girl got this funny look on her face and said, "I hate dating." My daughter paused a thought of a variety of reasons why this girl would "hate" dating...from the obvious of a recent breakup to ...something else. My daughter picked the reason that involved a recent breakup...and said something about she understood that it can be difficult to date again after a breakup...the girl stared at my daughter like she was a moron and then turned purple. The member had slipped and sort of "came out." My daughter called me from the car and said, "I'm done."..and she was.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Please note: I did not mean to infer that it is "funny" that this young woman almost/did/kind of come out to my daughter. It was puzzling and sad that the other girl had to be so secretive about who she was. The funny part was that my daughter just called and said, "I'm done." and that she called it so clearly.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
^^^That makes me kinda mad. If she didn't want to get into such a sensitive subject she shouldn't have focused on how much she "hated dating". What other response was she hoping for? A nod and a smile? Your daughter was just trying to be sympathetic and helpful. If you don't want to discuss something, don't bring it up!
Old 05-26-2008, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. I suspect that the girl didn't mean to say what she did. And, when she realized that she had "come out" she had a panic attack. (Would my daughter refer to this incident had she pledged? No. She is a wonderful ear/secret keeper. And still won't repeat "secrets" told to her in middle school.) My daughter's insight to the situation was, unfortunately, right on. She didn't get invited to Prefs and dropped out of rush.

Oh, and since they were in the same major...She avoided my daughter constantly. When she made an announcement that she "desperately" needed some notes from a class that my daughter was also taking she didn't call my daughter to get them DESPITE another kid (a guy) who told her that my daughter not only had the notes, but they were the best he had seen.

Sidenote: We saw the girl at graduation. She had chopped off all her hair. I asked my daughter if she had been ill (chemo or aloplecia (?spelling)) and she said simply, "no."
Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post
I'm a part of the Medieval Combat Club at my school (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out www.belegarth.com). I joined that my freshman year, and I have a lot of friends in it. My boyfriend is also a member. So I went into rush figuring that the houses should know I'm involved in that, since it's not like it's going to stop anytime soon. I could tell exactly which houses would not invite me back after the, "So, what other RSO's are you in?" I started with my leadership position in the Association of Residence Halls every time, and then went into the "You know the people who dress funny and hit each other with foam sticks on the quad? Yeah, I'm one of those" explanation. The only house that reacted positively was Pi Phi, and that's where I'm at.
This made me smile
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

When I went through Recruitment the PNMs weren't told what to expect regarding door chants, talking with different people (ie rotation), etc. After visiting a couple chapters where the same pattern was followed - a girl picks you up, you talk to her, then someone else comes, the first girl leaves, and you talk to the second girl, etc etc - I thought I knew what was going on.

I went to one chapter where, as at the other chapters, one girl picked me up at the door and we started talking. A couple minutes in another girl came over and started talking to me, at which point I said bye to the first girl. Except she didn't leave. I thought maybe she had to hang around for a couple extra minutes or didn't hear me, so after a couple more minutes I said goodbye again. Except she still didn't leave, the other girl did. Obviously they were doing a sort of floating rotation, which I had no idea about. I was not invited back to that chapter.