GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
0 members and 1,390 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2002, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Sisters, what brought you to Theta?

Just wanted to get this forum moving again.

I'd love to hear your stories on why you chose Kappa Alpha Theta!

For me, I preffed Kappa and Tri-Delt along with Theta, and there was no doubt in my mind that I just HAD to go Theta. My mom was/is a Kappa in college (now she's Alum) so it was really difficult telling her that I might not become a Kappa after all. Before Rush, I was intent on becoming a KKG since my mother loves her sorority. But when I visited the Theta house and met my future sisters . . . I was like, "Wow. THIS is what I want to be. . . a Kappa Alpha Theta." My parents have come to accept my choice and have even come to embrace it! They treat my chapter sisters like their own daughters, even .

Throughout Rush, I was just so impressed with Theta. At first, I was a little intimidated, because all of the Theta sisters were model-gorgeous. But it turned out that all of them were genuinely sweet, and their striking exteriors matched their equally amazing personalities. I clicked with all of them . . . hard to do during Rush. They cracked me up, put me at ease, and most of all, really treated me like a sister. I saw myself in them. I didn't want to leave when the parties were over! I also loved Delta Delta Delta and Kappa Kappa Gamma at Rush. But, when it came time to fill out the card, I just KNEW that the connection I felt was with Theta.

I have not regretted my decision even once! I love Kappa Alpha Theta, and cannot imagine my college years without our sisterhood! All my chapter sisters are amazing, and I have not met one Kappa Alpha Theta that I didn't bond with. I sincerely think that our sorority is the embodiment of what a sisterhood should be.

I can't wait to read all of your stories! (Please post . . . we need to get this forum hopping!)

Loyally,

CA theta

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2002, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetakates
Thumbs up

What made me choose Theta? Well, there are many different reasons I chose Theta. I felt that out of all the sororities on our campus they were the ones with the most general likability on our campus. Everyone respects Thetas on our campus. Also the girls were just awesome. I cannot think of a single sister who I do not get along with in my chapter. They just seemed like the group of girls I could most see myself with. And of course be myself with. I think all the sororities on my campus have something to offer, but Theta seemed to fill my needs more. But I think the best thing about Theta is that they are pretty widely known and so many people know who they are. In fact, my major is Education and many of the teachers in my home town have been members of Kappa Alpha Theta during their college years. Or people will come up to me while I am wearing my letters and say, Theta, what a great group of girls. It is an awesome feeling to belong to such a great group and even though I got a little off the point of why I became a Theta, I think anyone who is one will understand. Also the wierd thing about Theta is many of my freinds from home have ended up rushing Theta and it is wierd because these are people who I have been close with in high school and such and now they are my sisters in Kappa Alpha Theta.

Ok, I am done now! I promise. Just saw this posting and had to reply!

Theta love and all of mine,
ThetaKates
Old 03-31-2002, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I Love Theta too!!! I feel exactly the same as ya'll about the many reasons that I chose Theta. Out of all the other sororites it was the place that I felt I was free to be myself and I wasn't being judged. I love working with such an awesome group of women and I am proud to be a part of such a great organization. Like the saying goes, "Some women come to college to find their husbands, we came to find our bridesmaids." I can't imagine what college would be like if I couldn't share it with my sisters.
Theta Love and mine,
Shelly
Old 05-13-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThetaGirl1997
This is a great topic - thought I'd bump it up!!

There were only four sororities on my campus, so my decision was fairly easy (although I'd like to think the Thetas would have stood out among many more sororities!!) I never really thought of myself as the type that would join a sorority. I had a friend who pledged in the fall, and she absolutely loved it. When spring rush rolled around, she asked a couple friends to come to the first rush event. I went and was so impressed by all the girls and had so much fun!!! I surprised everyone (myself included) when I decided to pledge, but I'm so glad that I did!! The Theta's at ONU were smart (we had highest Greek GPA several quarters running) they were fun, very classy women, and very well respected on campus. I hate to say this, but the other chapters were known mostly for being partiers or promiscuous (sp?) or whatever. Even if I'd gone thru formal rush and visited all the other houses, I'm sure I still would've chosen Theta!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meheron
I was very anti-greek my freshman year of college. The next year I had a roomate who was wild in the fact that she had peircings and tatoo's all over her body. We hung out a lot and when recruitment came around she signed the both of us up. I was really against it but she wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

During recruitment we both started getting into it and starting the conversations about where we fit in the most. The moment I walked into the Theta suite (we don't have houses) I felt very welcome. The main thing that I liked was the diversity of our chapter. I grew up in a very bad part of Indianapolis. My high school had uniform and nonuniform police and in the four years I was there I witnessed many driveby shootings and other gang related things. I was one of the few who made it out of town and into college. Sorority life was something unheard of and actually a slap in the face to many of my high school friends.

But for some reason I loved being in the Theta suite. I did not hide my past and I was still embraced by my sisters. I have found through the years and into my alumni life that every sister had come from a different background and no one judged anyone on there past or how much money there parents made and thats what I loved about THETA.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I was another anti-greek freshman, and got ridiculed by my high school friends for being a hypocrite when i decided to rush. But I feel so at home in Theta that they're beginning to understand that it's not "paying for friends". I actually convinced some of them to rush this year!

At UCF not every sorority and fraternity have houses. It's unfortunate, because having a facility is definitely an advantage. Sororities who don't have houses have to rush out of fraternity houses. (ew). One of my deciding factors for preffing theta was that even without a house, the sisterhood i saw in them rivaled the girls who HAD houses, and I felt like they were all being genuine and sincere with me. Theta was warmth, love, and comfort. I hope that I can show that to the PNM's as well as it was shown to me.

I have so much pride in Theta! I only want the best for our chapter, and because of that I'm both excited and nervous about this upcoming recruitment, as it will be my first time on the other side!!!

Theta love always,
Danielle
Old 07-12-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCF theta
Yay a UCF theta posted on here! I'm a founding sister of the eta theta chapter at UCF. I was originally going to wait until sophomore year to go through recruitment until one of my suitemates told me about Theta. They had thetas outside the student union. So i went to an information session and immediately fell in love with theta and the cute lady named Blanche (i think that's her name ) that was in her late 80's if i'm not mistaken. I'm so glad that i waited to go through recruitment and have the opportunity to see a chapter grow.
Theta love and mine,
Megan
Old 11-10-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to undtheta2000
I knew, even before starting college, that I was going to go through recruitment. My sister was a Theta at the Univ. of North Dakota- Alpha Pi Chapter (which is where I am at now).
I signed up and went to all the houses (7) the first day. When I arrived at Theta I was greeted with friendly faces and I was so impressed when a familiar face started talking to me in the living room...On the second day, I only went to 3 house, instead of 5 (the most you could visit)...I had a tough choice deciding between Theta and one of the others. My choice was pretty much made when I showed up for Preference day and had only 1 house on my schedule (instead of 2)...and it was Theta!
I felt at home there, and I knew that it would be a special bond between my sister and I. That was 3 years ago, and know, in my 4th year here, I cannot imagine being without my Theta sisters. I was gone from school on an internship this past spring semester, and I really missed my sisters. I was excited when it came time to move back into the house before fall semester, and excited to meet and get to know the women we picked up in the spring when I was gone....
To close, Theta just means a lot to me, and I think I knew that in my heart as I was sitting and listening during my preference ceremony 3 years ago...
Old 11-10-2003, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I was a little biased, because my aunt was a Theta, but really, it was the lasting impression that the actives left on me that made me choose Theta...

Odd though this may sound, during the second round of recruitment, a girl I had talked to the day before winked and waved at me and said "bye, Andrea," as I was walking out the door. It was the fact that she remembered me and was so personable that made me really consider Theta. It was nice to be at a house where I was seen as an individual, and not just another rush number.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:52 PM

I was brought or drawn to Theta by the genuiness of the girls there. It was so easy to talk to and be 100% myself around each and every one i talked to. I loved them all and had so much in common with them. Even when I went to a Theta party that was my last party, eventhough I was tired going in, I always left so happy and so energized. Another thing that I thought was awesome is that everyone that talked to me that particular day and previous days remembered my name as i was leaving and entering and made it a point to say Hey Mary! or BYe Mary! That meant a lot to me. In fact and I know this is bad but, I suicided on my bid card because I only wanted Theta and knew I wouldnt be happy elsewhere. Luckily that didnt backfire on me because now I cant imagine my life without Theta in it.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

In fact and I know this is bad but, I suicided on my bid card because I only wanted Theta and knew I wouldnt be happy elsewhere. Luckily that didnt backfire on me because now I cant imagine my life without Theta in it. [/B][/QUOTE]

What's so bad about suiciding?? So did I and for the same reasons. I never regretted my decision. It was Theta or nothing for me :-)

Patti
Old 03-05-2004, 12:29 PM

I thought I would bump this thread
Old 03-05-2004, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

this seems like a good thread to put this in!

After work today, I'm making the two-hour drive to my alma mater to attend our spring initiation! I am so excited! It also happens to be my best friend's birthday (who is still active) so it's great that I get to see her and go to initiation. I've only been back once since I graduated, and I miss the girls so much! I am counting the hours till I get out of work! (and as my boss was also in a sorority, she is letting me off early because she understands!)

What's even better, is I'm driving up there with another Theta sister who also moved to Colorado Springs after graduation. This is going to be the most sisterhood bonding I've had since I was active!

Geez, can y'all tell how excited I am?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to scuthetagirl
When I was a freshman and sophomore, my school only had two women's fraternities---Alpha Phi and Delta Gamma---because the year before I came in the university cut ties with the Greek system and our Delta Zeta chapter had to close. Our system is still off-campus and completely not affiliated with the school. As you can prob. imagine, since we only had two sororities, they tended to attract different sorts of girls. As much as I love some girls in DG and APhi at SCU, they didn't seem like places I'd really fit in. So I never rushed. But this summer a DG friend of mine told me about Theta coming to colonize. I didn't think anything of it, but a girl I work with and my friend Mel both were part of the charter class and I realized Theta was just what I needed. I was getting the unique chance of being part of something with a strong foundation and good values, but something I could help create because it was still new. My friend Annie (now my sister) and I did COB two weeks before formal rush (we rush in the winter) and got bids. We got to participate in rush (informally) and got initiated about a month ago. It's been so fun! I love all my sisters, they're really warm and friendly and beautiful and smart. I'm so lucky to be part of something so incredibly wonderful. I don't think I would have been happy at Alpha Phi or DG, even if I did go through formal rush. I'm just not the kind of girl they'd want. I'm so glad to be part of Theta. It's really changed my life.

Last edited by scuthetagirl; 03-27-2004 at 03:27 AM.