GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,234
2 members and 2,232 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-27-2002, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Arrow Human Clone?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sh/hea...26-191252.html

Chemist Brigitte Boisselier of Clonaid claims to have made the first human clone, but provides no evidence.

1) Do you believe this is the truth or a hoax?
2) How do you feel about human cloning?
Old 12-27-2002, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I kind of doubt it, because the woman making the announcement seems rather bizzare and I quote: "Boisselier said that she believes she was created by science, and that science cannot be stopped." She herself was created by science? Huh?

Anyway, the idea of cloning for reproduction gives me the creeps because WE ALREADY HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH PEOPLE!!! I can't understand why anyone feels the need to use technology to create more. I can, however, understand the use of cloning for medical treatment.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
I kind of doubt it, because the woman making the announcement seems rather bizzare and I quote: "Boisselier said that she believes she was created by science, and that science cannot be stopped." She herself was created by science? Huh?

Anyway, the idea of cloning for reproduction gives me the creeps because WE ALREADY HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH PEOPLE!!! I can't understand why anyone feels the need to use technology to create more. I can, however, understand the use of cloning for medical treatment.
On CNN they said she belonged to some religious group that believed that aliens created mankind through science. With that in mind that statement makes sense.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-28-2002, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

In answer to your questions:

1) Sure, why not.. they can clone animals can't they?

2) What do I think about it?! Hmm I think they should do more productive things with their time [not to mention their supposed scientific smarties] like finding cures for diseases ... like cancer & smallpox, and finding Osama.

But that's just my opinion
Old 12-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

My biggest problem with the government passing legislation against it is that by doing so they are simply forcing it underground. They are giving the stage over to kooks like we've seen on CNN recently -- these folks seriously believe that aliens created man in a genetic experiment.

They'll probably be gone by the next meteor shower/comet though. Up to meet the makers

Cloning needs to be the realm of legitimate scientists for legitimate purposes. I think it does have a huge place in future society, medicine, etc. Cloning for reproductive purposes is in most cases not the goal of legitimate medical science. It still wouln't be nearly as economical (or fun) as the old-fashioned way. I think the real holy grail is organ/tissue replacement.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

It's no less ethical than cloning an ear to the back of a rat's back, or cloning a sheep altogether. The woman seemed a little loopy, and the whole operation seems shady--which is why any and all cloning activities should be supervised in independent laboratories which are legal and not underground.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:45 PM
Unregistered-

Shady it is indeed. A lot of scientists refuse to believe in this mainly because Clonaid has ties to that cult that believes we were all created by cloning and descendants of extra terrestrial life forms.

A few years ago, Dr. Ryuzo Yanagimachi and his team of scientists cloned mice on my campus. Proof was furnished as soon as the world found out. The loopy doctor and her organization has not given any proof yet, so they can't expect to get credit for it.

As far as this goes, I think it's a hoax.

As far as human cloning goes, despite the wonders it could do for those with diseases, etc., I believe it's unethical. Personally speaking, I'd hate to have someone else play God for me.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Human Clone?

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
1) Do you believe this is the truth or a hoax?
2) How do you feel about human cloning?
Answer to No. 1: Pure unadulterated bullsh*t and a great way for free publicity for a loony, half-a** cult. No proof, no pudding.

Answer to No. 2: Under strictly controlled conditions, I wouldn't object to human cloning. But as mentioned in previous posts, government intervention and prohibition only serves to drive it underground into the realm of junk science.

All we need now is a scenario like The Boys From Brazil to become a reality. Then we're really screwed if we don't nip it in the bud.

(For you guys that aren't familiar with it (or too young to remember), The Boys From Brazil was a novel by Ira Levin and later a major motion picture (it was on last night on the History Channel) that deals with human cloning. In this 'plausbly fictional' scenario Dr. Josef Mengele manages to get some cell tissue from Adolf Hitler and while in hiding in Brazil, proceeds to clone a dozen carbon copies of Hitler. The evil doctor manages to place the clones in various places around the world, in situations the 'original' Hitler experienced - parents die at an early age and so forth. A Nazi hunter (loosely based on Simon Wiesenthal) gets wind of the plan and begins the hunt for the clones and Dr. Mengele before his evil plan is completed.)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 12-29-2002, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Human Clone?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU

Answer to No. 2: Under strictly controlled conditions, I wouldn't object to human cloning. But as mentioned in previous posts, government intervention and prohibition only serves to drive it underground into the realm of junk science.

Unfortunately, I think it will be forced underground. I don't think the US Government is able to take a firm stand on such an issue even though it could be tremendously beneficial to real medical science. If the current leadership took a pro stance on it I think they would lose a lot of their votes from the radical/christian right wing who tends to be persuaded by single issues more than anything else (see abortion).
Old 12-29-2002, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Winterbloom
Have they cloned a human? I doubt it. I've read about this cult, and while they're interesting, until I see third party confirmation, that hound isn't hunting.

Should we clone humans? Sticky situation, isn't it? On the one hand, the holy grail is organ and tissue replacement. I'd like to see medical science to a place where we can clone single organs--a lung, a heart, a kidney. On the other hand, just because we can doesn't mean we should. Having read "Brave New World" at a formulative age, I think that shows much of my trepidation. With the advent of effective human cloning, we must decide who is viable to clone, and to what end. This leads to classifying humans, probably along racial and genetic lines. Personally, having grown up in an area where violent racial tensions have been played out with sheets and burning crosses, I don't want to see any further division between people.

This is a can of worms. But I don't think it's a can of worms that can be closed. We've opened the door. We cannot just shut it. We must regulate it sensibly, not force it underground. Only with effective regulations and third-party monitoring can we use this technology in the spirit of the Hyppocratic Oath--to first do no harm.

~Emma
Old 12-29-2002, 02:40 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Clonaid sounds like a nasal spray? And this "spokesperson" can't even get to the drugstore and buy her poor face some moisturizer - am I supposed to believe she was smart enough to have anything to do with making a clone? :P

To question 1, yes it's bullshit. These people sound nuttier than the Heaven's Gate gang. http://religiousmovements.lib.virgin...nrms/rael.html

To question 2 - we have more than enough people on the planet (rent "Soylent Green" if you've forgotten this fact). We don't need to clone. Natural selection is still playing out every day, and this would be screwing with it in a major way. I don't want to be around for the consequences.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Look, just b/c these clowns have ridiculous beliefs about the origins of humanity (and let's not lie, they're pretty fucking crazy) doesn't mean they lack the scientific knowledge to clone a human. Actually, I'd assume they did it - the 'technology' isn't really difficult to obtain, and they are just crazy enough to do it.

It is very bizarre that they won't provide proof yet, but honestly it'll take 3 hours to verify the cloning (sequence that DNA), and the 'scientists' have to know that . . . why say it if it's going to be refuted?