GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,168
4 members and 1,164 guests
flamboyanttree, John, LaneSig

Old 07-14-2000, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Greek on Greek Violence in the NPHC

With the original concept of NPHC Greekdom being to promote brother/sisterhood, networking avenues, and comradery among members who traveled from place to place, why is there so much HATING?

Who pledged and took an oath proclaiming to dislike other Frats/Sororities as a part of it? Most people don't realize that after college people in the professional work place don't really care much about what you pledged. So what's up with the violence?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2000, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Angry

Bill- I pledged an oath to hate everyone who is not a Zeta or Sigma! </sarcasm> 90% of us try to live up to our principals everyday.

Not all of our chapters are violent, I wouldn't even say that 10% of them were.
However that's all we hear about in our Liberal Media. You RARELY here about the great things we are doing, and all of our organizations are doing great things. But let one random, isolated chapter do something and it is on the news for weeks. Please try not to generalize us with such broad statements. Thank You.

As far as after college goes, we work with our sororities after college to continue doing the work in our community. As far as the professional work place goes, I can think of many people who said My soror/frat let me know about this job. (Just to put it in perspective, if I was interviewing 2 candidates and they were 100% similar in abilities and all other factors. I would choose the Zeta first.) It might not be a big deal to YOU after college, but it is a significant portion of a lot of our lives.

ZetaAce

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-14-2000, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

As we all know, the violence doesn't just go on amongst NPHC org's.
As far as hating another fraternity or sorority, I personally think that most of that comes from personal gripes between members of different org's. It's true that some battles have their origins in history and they still continue. But if you ask most NPHC greeks, they'll tell you that the "HATING", as you called it, is out of pure competitve drive. What better way to keep each other on our toes by making up better chants, strolls, hotter step routines, new and innovative service ideas, higher grades, etc...
As far as taking "an oath proclaiming to dislike other Frats/Sororities as a part of it", you're right, none of us did that. But we did take oaths that in one way or another say to pledge our dedication and lives to our org's. Maybe some people take it past pride for themselves and into contempt for others. But then that can't even be described as a Greek flaw, just a human one.
And it may be true that no one will care much about what org you pledged once we enter the business world. But for greeks (NPHC and non-NPHC alike), we all know that WHO you know could possibly lead us on the road to our future postions.

SoloRHO
PEACE: Proper Education Always Corrects Error
Old 07-14-2000, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm, Wow now I feel like what I've said is redundant. lol Well said ZetaAce!
Old 07-14-2000, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I know on my campus, there are a few organizations that I DO NOT LIKE. However, I have friends and aquaintances in each one of these groups. I like the person, just not their mentality when they're all in a group. I'm sure the same can be said about myself and my chapter. Besides, who knows when you'll have to be in a lab group or something like that with one of these people. I think my big bro said it best, "You may end up having to work with, or even worse, FOR one of those @$$hole XYZ's!"

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.

[This message has been edited by Corbin Dallas (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-15-2000, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

good question, one which i'd love an answer to. i have sort of a story to go along with this:

i was an RA last school year and was called to help out in the apartments because there was a fight going on and public safety hadn't gotten there yet. i got there, and two fraternities were fighting with each other. i somehow ended up in the middle of it while taking names down and ended up getting smacked and pushed down by a member of one of these frats. of course, the members of the other frat saw them "hitting a lady" and threw down on the other.

there's so much animosity of my campus with different fraternities. we're not NPHC, but IFC and Panhel, mostly. i know we have BGLO's on my campus, but they're not as prominent as the others on campus. it's so petty what goes on here. tke hates tep for this, tep hates tke for that, delta sig hates sigma nu for doing this...yadda yadda yadda. i'm personally sick of it! i feel that my girls and i can't be friends with one fraternity without losing friendship or "loyalty" to another. i lost friends in sigma nu because i started hanging out with tep. and now that i hang out with tep, tke doesn't like hanging out with me or my sisters, even though there was never a problem before. now what's that all about? it's so ridiculous! it's hard to explain the origins of these fights, and to do so would take way too much space on this board. i feel like i've been griping about this and not solving the problem and maybe i have, but i'm just very stressed about it. the sororities, on the other hand, seem to just keep to themselves. meaning, they don't bother the other sororities, try to one-up them and whatnot. i know there's really nothing that i can do about this situation, seeing as i'm not in any of the fraternities in question. does any other campus have this issue? let's figure this out!!

peace, love, music and peanut butter,

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats
Old 07-20-2000, 12:51 AM
shadytail

Hey, in college there is good humor. But many do not see humor in fun and take many things to heart. You can say this or that about my frat but the truth is in my heart I n=know mine is the best, and I made the best choice for me. For the others who did what was in their heart I have nothing but love but I do not look highly upon people who joined their second or third choice. Many people forget that once out of college the "hating" gets pushed to the backburner. Because those of us who joined for the right reasons know that we have more to give to the community and that college days are past. peace.
Old 07-20-2000, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My campus is so small, that a lot of the "traditional" hostilities are neutralized by the fact that by the time you're eligable to seek membership, you're a sophmore or junior and you've had 2 or three years to get to know the PEOPLE before they become greek. I also think that a lot of chapter vs. chapter fights are actually personal fights that a person/persons chapter gets in on. I know that I wouldn't just let someone (anyone) beat up my sister without my stepping in. The rest of the girls in my chapter feel likewise. By the end of a fight like that, it looks like "the deltas were fighting the XYZs".
Old 07-21-2000, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

At first before I saw the crimson light, I did understand it either, but once I became greek, I found out that some stuff is passed on through older members that isn't even related to the org-just b/c she stole my man, I don't like her shoes, etc. Just stop the bull!