GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,082
1 members and 1,081 guests
Sarak24034

Old 09-06-2006, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys!

Last edited by jesidz; 09-09-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
I do!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 AM

I'd love to hear more; but would recommend waiting till everything's done to share.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

fabulous idea!! can't wait to hear how it is going.

how does panhellenic plan to handle the increased number of pnms? are you all having to hold more parties or are they increasing the number of pnms per party?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl
I'd love to hear more; but would recommend waiting till everything's done to share.
I disagree - I like to read the blow-by-blow account. Fun!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally understand the small greek campus competition. GC has only 4 sororities and it is hard to not sterotype the groups. Gtown as defered Spring recruitment for the whole campus but I think that this year they are allowing all four groups to hold fall recruitment for underclasswomen. I don't feel great about this idea. I think that it will bring out the competitive spirit in everyone really early. But who knows.

I love this idea and can't wait to see how it works out.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna
I disagree - I like to read the blow-by-blow account. Fun!

While I agree it's more fun ; I just think that especially for a small campus with stereotypes for each chapter it would be "safer" to wait. Jesi can type something up each night and then post at the end. It's her choice. I just think that with as much as we warn PNMs that what they post on GC can come back and bite them, even when they're careful, we should practice what we preach.

Either way I'll enjoy the read. I have voiced my opinion. I promise not to start a crusade.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98
I totally understand the small greek campus competition. GC has only 4 sororities and it is hard to not sterotype the groups.
Hey, GC has dozens of sororities!!! (I had to read it like three times to figure of you meant GTown!)

Thanks for the giggle.

And for the original poster, BRING IT ON! We want to know all the gory details - has there ever been a thread from this side of things?!?!?

Denise
Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Good Luck with recruitment. I know the pain of recruitment on a small greek campus where reputations and stereotypes are sooooo hard to shake. The new release figures did help us a ton however. People were worried that it would cause a huge drop out rate after the first party but instead it helped the PNMS focus. I also think it helps the girls see cuts being made pretty much across the bored instead of a few girls getting serious cuts and everyone else getting to pick where they go. It helps them feel they're on an equal footing with everyone else.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

i love that your chapter delivered(well, actually you did!) flowers to the other sororities on campus. that is so sweet!! definately something for the chapter i advise to keep in mind for next year!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck, jesidz. My daughter just went DZ about two weeks ago at the University of Alabama, and she absolutely loves her DZ life. I will keep an eye on your thread to see how it goes.....
Old 09-08-2006, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesidz
From the PNM side-remember to dress classy. I was honestly surprised by the outfits that some people chose but all the girls seemed very nice. It seems like the PNM's are much more bold than usual. They were very honest in their feelings and assessments of our chapter and others which was good but strange. Sometimes I think girls forget that the chapters are choosing first and matching with them.
How very true! I think a lot of PNMs come from the pre-recruitment meetings having heard the message "You'll go where you fit in, choose the best house for you!" and get an inflated sense of "control" in the situation. In order to promote recruitment and to not scare away women, I think a lot of greek life offices and Rho Chis tend to gloss over the unfortunate reality that PNMs are essentially powerless in this process. Honestly, the sororities have like 90% of control over the fate of individual PNMs... there's only a very small handful of exceptional PNMs that are really able to have their choice of their favorite houses.

In terms of the outfits, I sometimes hear the PNMs say "I was told to dress to stand out"... PNMs don't necessarily understand that this means, say, a pretty and unique necklace, not a cowboy hat or a neon green boa. While it's good for a PNM to show her unique and endearing qualities, TOO much "standing out" can cause a sorority to be like "She's nothing like our girls, she won't be happy here." A lot of the 18-20 set also don't understand the difference between "dressing up" and "going to the club." I honestly sometimes wonder why an 18 y.o. PNM would come to my chapter with her boobs hanging out. I'm like "There are no guys here, so who are you trying to impress?" Church and sorority recruitment are the two of the only times in a woman's life where it's essential to err on the conservative side, in manner and dress.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 09-08-2006, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Chi Emily
In terms of the outfits, I sometimes hear the PNMs say "I was told to dress to stand out"... PNMs don't necessarily understand that this means, say, a pretty and unique necklace, not a cowboy hat or a neon green boa.
so that's why XYZ cut me after round 1...i've been wondering for years
Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Chi Emily
In terms of the outfits, I sometimes hear the PNMs say "I was told to dress to stand out"... PNMs don't necessarily understand that this means, say, a pretty and unique necklace, not a cowboy hat or a neon green boa.
During first round, I totally wore a necklace with a point shoe charm on it that the dance department at my school gave me when I graduated and it really did inspire conversations! Yay for that.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesidz
100% Return Rates!!!!!!!!! All of the PNM's that we invited back accepted! WE are SO excited and READY for todays round!
WOW! Congrats!