GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,491
2 members and 1,489 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 08-09-2003, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Is It really hard for a transfer/junior to be greek at UCLA?

I'm going to be a transfer to UCLA in the 05-06 fall semster, and I'm wondering is it really that difficult to a junior to be initiated? I've ALWAYS loved the idea of fraternities because it seems like a vital part of your college experience that I for one do NOT want to miss.

People at my JC (Cerritos College) always give me stories about how hard it is for transfers to be admitted to a fraternity because they're only going to be there for 2 years and most fraternities don't want that. I find this hard to believe because the greek life as a whole (to my knowledge) isn't nearly that shallow. Plus I'm going to double major and minor so i'll be a UCLA for 3 years even after transfer.

Basically I want to know if this idiotic myth holds some truth...I highly doubt it but you never know right?

Thanks guys, keep up the good stuff and I can't wait to become one of you

Peace
Old 08-10-2003, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I dont think it should be a problem at all bro obviously your friends dont know too much. We've had many guys that were soph and juniors rush and go on to be some really good brothers. Just go out there and do the same thing that you would if you were a fresh, just be yourself dude and show the guys how bad you want it.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the Delta Sigs I met from our Beta Gamma chapter (UCLA) was a transfer student from San Diego, of all places.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

As a recent UCLA greek alumni, I know for a fact that there is no biased against rushing as a junior especially in the fraternities. Because UCLA and all the UCs in general get higher than average junior transfer rates, the Greek system has junior pledges all the time. It is very rare to see fall pledge classes without junior or sophmores in them in all houses up and down the row. So I promise you, as an actual UCLA greek who knows, that it will be no problem for you as a junior to find a house that fits you and remember that if a fraternity wants you, they will bid you if you are 20 or 62(well, maybe not but you get the picture!), so don't listen to your JC friends. But make sure to check out all the houses and find the one that fits you the best!

Feel free to PM if you have anymore questions!

Good Luck and study hard now because I recently heard that it is getting increasingly harder for junior transfers to get in because they are taking less and less in aims of taking more freshman. But if you really want it, I'm sure you will get accepted!

You are pretty brave to double major and minor at UCLA...its not an easy feat but its possible....a girl in my house did that and she even graduated Summa Cum Laude! But hey...what else can you expect from a UCLA student!
Old 08-10-2003, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you guys, I figured the people at ucla were much more open minded then what I have been hearing.. nice to know I was right. I went on a tour to UCLA and the fraternity guys seemed extreamly chill. The Sigma Chi seemed especially cool from what I seen, they wer being very friendly to everyone.

Nevertheless, all of the houses will see me at rush next fall, I seriously can't wait till I get there.

(To TriDeltaGal) Yea, being a double major and minor is hard work, I just fear the unit maximum at UCLA. Hopefully I can blue petition and finsh my minors up.

Anyways, thanks guys for the heads up, and I'll be sure to look into every house shortly. My motto is work hard then play hard so I'm looking for a house with that kind of mindset.

Peace