GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,566
2 members and 1,564 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

A little confused

Hi, my name is Kathy. I pledged KD at the start of this school year, and was very excited about starting my sorority life in college. It has been great and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I am a little confused about some aspects of it though. The new pledges (including me) have not been told any rituals about KD; such as songs and what AOT means. Its not that I am dying to know what AOT means (I know many people not associated with KD ask), but I feel that I am not yet accepted with the older girls. My pledge sisters feel the same way. I was just wondering if it is normal to "not" be told rituals after you've been a full-fledged member for over 6-months. They also tell us that they we won't find out the rituals for at least another year.

Kathy
Love n' AOT (whatever it means, lol)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2003, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDShannon
Ritual

Kathy,

You cannot and will not find out ritual until initiation. Different schools do initiation at different times. My school will hold initiation for our new members in February. Some schools initate after that and before that.

However, until you are initiated no one is able to reveal those secrets to you. As a matter of fact.. we online can't share that information with you regardless. You will have to wait until initiation and then from there you will learn all of the secrets to Kappa Delta.

We do this for the protection of these secrets. If we didn't wait until iniation girls would drop after knowing ritual and then we would have a breech of our secrets.

I hope that makes sense.

AOT is something that only Initiated members know and understand. We cannot reveal that until initiation.

Hold out for initiation.. it will be worth it.

In KD Honor and AOT,
Shannon Kish

[URL="http://www.shannonkish.com"k[/URL]
Old 01-21-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Kathy,

I'm just curious as to why you've been a "full-fledged" member for 6-months and haven't been initiated? The pledge/new-member period is now only 6 weeks.

As Shannon said, when you are initiated you will learn ritual and not before. I think most other GLO's will attest that their groups work in the same manner.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just curious as to why you've been a "full-fledged" member for 6-months and haven't been initiated? The pledge/new-member period is now only 6 weeks.
BKD... Some schools, like mine require you to be at that school for at least a semester before you can be intiated... however I don't understand the six months thing.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Shannon - your school still requires this? (I can't remember if you are a collegian or alum). Ours used to, in order to get the grade requirement, and in my opinion it was a good thing, but I was under the impression that Nat'l had required all to change to 6 weeks.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a collegian... and yeah... Unless you are a transfer.. you have to wait a semester to be initiated.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Shannon,

I think that's good. I think it's great to have a semester's worth of grades before initiating someone, especially since our chapter recruits freshmen before right when school starts.. I was under the impression that Natl had changed all chapters.

I still don't understand Kathy's comments that she had been a "full fledged" member for *over* 6 mths. Or that she wouldn't learn ritual for yet another year. Someone must be messing with her.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Well the thing that confuses me, is that we have been through initiation and the first semester. Also they told us we won't be told any rituals until at least another year. That was why I was confused. I understand not telling people until initiation.

Kathy
Old 01-21-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Kathy,

If you've been through initiation, then you heard ritual - and also what AOT means. It's all there, although I will admit, it's easy to miss it. Any initiated member should be able to review ritual with the chapter president or even read through the ritual book. What chapter are you from??
Old 01-21-2003, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried to post earlier, but GC wouldn't let me.

If you were initiated, you would know very well what AOT means. It's a big deal, something you would be listening for.

My money is that you're not a KD It's been done before, it'll be done again.

If you are a KD, what's your chapter, school, etc?

New members go through their first ritual within a few days of getting their bids. So you can't say that you haven't done any ritual.

Last edited by kddani; 01-22-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

First let me say that I am very upset with the negative feedback I have been receiving. I am simply confused about what is going on and don't appreciate being called a fake or that I am "BS'ing". I THOUGHT that we have been through ritual initiation b/c we are considered part of the chapter, but since all of you say that if we have been through it we would know this stuff, then no I guess we haven't been. I "NEVER" once asked anybody to tell me the meaning of AOT or sing me a ritual song (Scroll up and READ!!), I just want some information b/c it seems that we should know this stuff by now, b/c we did have some sort of initiation. Obviously I am not going to get any help here from who are supposed to be my sisters.

Kathy

PS- KDDani, if you knew how to read you would realize that I never asked about specifics of rituals in KD. So what would be my purpose if I was a fake or had my head in the clouds? You need to relax and quit judging people so fast. Get your head out of the clouds.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I am not a KD, obviously (although you all are great!), so I hope you don't mind my crashing your board. I felt like I had to chime in, though, in light of the last post. Yes, it is possible to go through an initiation and not pick up on signifcant things, because I did it myself. I have no knowledge of Kappa Delta's ritual, but if it is anything like mine, some things are quite easy to miss. If what you are saying is true, KD4Life, then just do what I did--go get out your chapter's ritual book. If you are an initiated member, you should be able to see it (at least, that's true in my sorority--and I have a hard time believing that you would be denied knowledge of any rituals as an initiated member). That should clear things up for you.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you AchtungBaby80. Nice to see somebody willing to help.

Kathy
Old 01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't give personal information out over the Internet. If I was trying to prove something or find out secret information, it might be relevant, but since I was just asking a few simple questions I don't find it necessary. Guess that makes me a fake huh?

Kathy
Old 01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Kathy,

You said "but since all of you say that if we have been through it we would know this stuff, then no I guess we haven't been" - I just CAN'T imagine not knowing if you have been through initiation or not. It's a pretty major event that you look forward to during your entire new member period.

Yes, it is easy to miss ritual explanations during initiation. Believe me, as president, when I read through the ritual book getting ready for initiation I had several "a-ha" moments - LOL. But I find it hard to believe you wouldn't know if you went through it or not.

Again, what chapter are you from???
Closed Thread