GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,608
Threads: 114,859
Welcome to our newest member, SailboatSister9

Old 04-23-2002, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

South Florida Rush

Hi!
I'm going to be a freshman at the University of South Florida in the fall. I wanted to go through rush and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I looked at the schools website. Does anyone know anything about the different sororities or maybe can help me with USF's rush. I have alot of questions like where I am supposed to stay since its before school starts, I can't drive from Orlando everyday!!!!! And other questions. Help!

Christy
Old 04-23-2002, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

hey christy!!
i go to usf, and i'm in a sorority. im willing to answer any questions you may have about greek life!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Christy,

I wasn't affiliated with my sorority at USF, but I did graduate from there, so let me know if I can help.
Brandi
Old 04-23-2002, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

why rush?

you should rush a sorority christy, and please don't let anyone tell you different. being greek is part of an amazing experience and also a big family, its a home away from home, and brothers or sisters you'll love forever.

what are your main questions?
Old 04-23-2002, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, HERE GOES:

1. How important is it to be Greek at USF, My sisters school was like if you weren't greek you didn't tend to know many people.
2. Where can I stay during rush, cause Its before school starts.
3. what are the sororities like, I'm afraid because my sister said that people are(as she said ) "putting their best foot forward" and that I'll really like one group and then get stuck in some reputation thats not me.
4. Also, I like to play sports, can I still play soccer ( not for the school but on Intermural teams and such)and be in a sorority.

Thanks for any help Candi and Brandi (Hey, thats so funny, it Rhymes!)

Christy
Old 04-23-2002, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

ok christy here are some answers that im giving you to the best of my ability.

1. Being greek at USF is not the only thing to do, but I will admit that most greeks are in other organizations as well. As a greek community, we all try to be involved and to get to know one another. I have friends our side of my sorority, but not many people know who they are, and would know them more if they were greek.

2. During rush the only place you can't stay is at another greek's apartment or dorm. Try and find a friend from your area who is thinking of rushing also, and maybe look into getting a hotel room for the week. Or try and find a friend who is non-greek and stay with them.

3. A sorority is basically a big family of girls you can always count on. The most important thing to remember during rush is, don't listen to what other girls say, because everyone knows girls talk, and the reputation they may have of a sorority might not be the truth. You don't want to base your judgement on what someone else thinks.

4. IM sports is one of the best things about the sorority to me, I've played sports all through high school, and my sorority is active in every single IM event we possibly can be. Its important that you find the sorority that is going to appreciate your love for sports.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

1. You do not have to be greek at USF to have friends, but it can really help. In addition to what Candi said remember that most leaders are greek and that being greek provides you with the tools to become a leader. It also provides great networking arenas and could give you an edge in a future job interview

2. I believe rush is the week before school starts. If it is and you are planning to live in a dorm the school usually allows rushees to move in earlier (it is on the sorority sister to stay with someone if a rushee lives in her dorm - kind of understood that she probably has more places available to stay). If you are planning to live in an apartment find out if it is possible for you to move in a week or so early. If it is empty there is usually no problem.

3.As I said in my PM make sure to do some research before rush (it is so much easier now than when I rushed because almost everyone has a website). Find out if the organization as a whole has values you respect, see if the individual chapter's website gives you insight into the women in the local chapter. Make sure to ask questions that are important to you during the parties. If you love sports you'll want to ask about their intermural involvement, things like that. See how you feel when you are in the same room with the entire chapter. Trust me you will have a feeling where you best belong. I hardly know of anyone,who was dissatisifed with a group that they joined, and didn't have some sort of idea it was wrong for them during rush.

4. Intermural sports are actually a large part of greek life. Not only do they usually have a team represented for all of the different sports, but many orgs host flag football, soccer...tournaments to raise money for their philanthropy. I will not limit this answer to sports so... Most greek organizations want their members to also be members in other clubs or organizations. They are really big on campus involvement, and if you want to play sports for the school any greek org would still love to have you (the coaches are usually the problem there.)

You have questions we have answers, keep them coming
Old 04-29-2002, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TaraHopeful
I don't know much about USF Greeks, but i do know that my step sister is a sophmore at USF now and loves it! She has TONS and TONS of friends there. She has an absolute blast there with everyone and she's not greek. Just something to comfort you in case you're thinking that greek life is a must for a fab social life. If you decide not to be greek, know that there are plenty of people there and you'll have no trouble making friends. I'm not saying "don't rush", but just tring to help you out a little. I'm rushing too in the fall and i'm thinking the same way you are about the university of arkansas...but i don't know anybody that goes there....ah well. GOOD LUCK w/ everything!!!
~Tara~
Old 04-29-2002, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by TaraHopeful
I don't know much about USF Greeks, but i do know that my step sister is a sophmore at USF now and loves it! She has TONS and TONS of friends there. She has an absolute blast there with everyone and she's not greek. Just something to comfort you in case you're thinking that greek life is a must for a fab social life. If you decide not to be greek, know that there are plenty of people there and you'll have no trouble making friends. I'm not saying "don't rush", but just tring to help you out a little. I'm rushing too in the fall and i'm thinking the same way you are about the university of arkansas...but i don't know anybody that goes there....ah well. GOOD LUCK w/ everything!!!
~Tara~
I agree with Tara about not having to be Greek in order to make friends at college. I actually went through Rush my freshman year just to meet people. I didn't know much about sororities, so, at first, pledging a sorority wasn't a priority of mine.

During my rush week, I met so many girls -- from the sororities and from my rush groups (the other rushees I was paired with in order to attend the Rush parties). Even if I hadn't pledged DZ, I would have had many friends just from the contacts I made during Rush Week.

However, since I DID pledge DZ, I wound up with an even larger number of friends, and ones that I know will be lifelong companions. I've been out of school for 5 years now, and have attended SO many DZ weddings and baby showers. That's the best thing about being in a sorority to me -- the lifelong bonds of friendship. I know that I'll see a number of my pledge sisters' children grow up, and that I'll probably be writing Rush recommendations for them one day!

Good luck with whatever you decide about Rush! And keep asking your questions. GC is a wonderful place to have them answered!

dzrose93
Old 05-08-2002, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Christy:
Congrats on choosing to go through *Recruitment*
If you have any questions please feel free to IM me, I am in a sorority at USF, and would be more then happy to answer any of your questions.
Also if you have any generic questions about the recruitment process at USF I would be happy to help you with those too.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool keep your heart open

it sounds very much like the recruitment is amazing...
keep your heart and soul open...
lots of terrific possibilities exist...
if you allow it to be.
lol
mmcat