GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,515
0 members and 1,515 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

rushing as a junior?

I'm a junior at Ohio State and I really want to join a sorority this fall. I went to one of the other osu branches my freshman year and part of my sophmore year so I couldn't really join one then but now I'm on main campus. but I will be a junior this fall. Is it still possible for me to get in?

Last edited by peaches07; 08-19-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2009, 07:05 PM

If it is Ohio State, then a junior could get a bid at some chapters. I strongly suggest keeping an open mind and having a strong GPA.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 AM

It's entirely possible for a junior to get a bid at Ohio State.

However, you need to be open-minded to all chapters, good grades, etc.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of several chapters that give bids to juniors at Ohio State, although in all honesty you are more likely to get one during informal recruitment than formal since you dont have to compete with the freshmen, so go to events in the fall and good luck!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches07 View Post
I'm a junior at Ohio State and I really want to join a sorority this fall. I went to one of the other osu branches my freshman year and part of my sophmore year so I couldn't really join one then but now I'm on main campus. but I will be a junior this fall. Is it still possible for me to get in?
PM me. I went to OSU-M prior to moving to main campus. Many of the houses take Juniors. Contact Panhel so that you can get in on fall recruitment
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this thread is a couple years old so hopefully someone will see this lol. Anyway, I also go to Ohio State and I transferred here from OSU's Newark branch campus. I really wanted to rush this year, unfortunately I missed Spring rush and I'm really nervous for fall rush because I'll be a junior. I have a 2.7 cumulative gpa and I'm not sure if that's too low (looks bad).
P.S I'll be a fifth year in order to meet the requirements for my major, neuroscience minor and GEC classes. If anyone could let me know if I have a chance that'd be awesome, thanks! (:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillylover93 View Post
I really wanted to rush this year, unfortunately I missed Spring rush and I'm really nervous for fall rush because I'll be a junior. I have a 2.7 cumulative gpa and I'm not sure if that's too low (looks bad).:
I'm not too familiar with Ohio State recruitment, but I'd say that you need well over a 2.7 to get a bid as a junior (or any age, really).

We live for each other.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You need a 2.5 to take part in recruitment at Ohio State, but individual chapters may have higher requirements in order to extend a bid. This link gives you another link to visit sorority pages where you might be able to find some info on each chapter's GPA requirements.

http://phaohiostate.com/#_p.Recruitm...es%2FResources

You are still months away from fall recruitment and now is the start of a new semester. Really commit yourself this semester to raising your GPA. That is really all the advice I have since I'm not real familiar with Ohio State's recruitment; hopefully some Buckeyes will come on here with a better idea of how it works and how it usually looks for juniors.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

It is still the case that you can get a bid as a Junior in some chapters. However, the GPA is on the low-side so you might be considered a grade risk. Some chapters might do COR after formal. Check with PHA after bid day and make friends with members in your classes.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM

I didn't know there was a Newark in Ohio. My first thought was "that's a hella long drive for a branch."
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 AM
GreekChat Member

What Benzgirl said. Express interest right away as some chapters might miss quota and be looking to pick up a few right after formal rush is over. I can't tell you it WILL happen, but if you're interested, I'd let them know now just in case.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I didn't know there was a Newark in Ohio. My first thought was "that's a hella long drive for a branch."
Pronounced by some as "Nerk".
OSU has campuses in Newark, Mansfield, Marion and Lima.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely check things out quickly. I followed that link to the sorority chapters -- did not read info on all of them, but your 2.7 is actually above the minimum some chapters require and right on the mark for at least one...so it is possible you could be picked up by one of them if they happen to be one that doesn't meet quota. No guarantees, of course, but you never know so don't miss an opportunity to possibly begin your sorority life sooner. Best wishes to you!