GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,042
0 members and 1,042 guests
No Members online

Old 11-05-2015, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Colonies and intiation

Do NPC/NPHC organizations initiate colony members, or does that not occur until a colony is granted a charter, becoming a chapter? I've heard about colonies that never became chapters, and I'm curious if these colony members were still initiated.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy View Post
Do NPC/NPHC organizations initiate colony members, or does that not occur until a colony is granted a charter, becoming a chapter? I've heard about colonies that never became chapters, and I'm curious if these colony members were still initiated.

Thanks!
Depends on the sorority, of course, but in our case the initiation and charter happen together. If for some (very rare) reason a colony does not become a chapter, the members are released from their pledge and may join other NPC sororities because they were never initiated.
I can only speak for our organization. I can't tell you about others.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Depends on the sorority, of course, but in our case the initiation and charter happen together. If for some (very rare) reason a colony does not become a chapter, the members are released from their pledge and may join other NPC sororities because they were never initiated.
Ditto.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Same for us.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2015, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy View Post

Thanks!
I was just talking about this last week!

NPHC organizations typically don't have colonies (at least not anymore). We get permission to organize from the school, the local graduate/alumni/ae chapter may (or may not) have a few public evens to get to know prospective members, an official rush/smoker/informational is held, and the selection process continues like it would for any regular chapter intake. The only difference is that the local alumni/ae are implementing it.

When they are initiated, the chapter is chartered.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Ditto.
Another Ditto.

We had a colonization about 3 years ago that never took off. The other NPC colony who tried before also failed, and the one afterwards, too.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I would hazard to guess that all NPC sororities are the same or very similar. Since we have the same rule about not joining another NPC sorority, it would be pretty douchy of us to initiate before they're made a chapter since the vast majority of NPC sorority women associate membership only with the college experience.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I would hazard to guess that all NPC sororities are the same or very similar. Since we have the same rule about not joining another NPC sorority, it would be pretty douchy of us to initiate before they're made a chapter since the vast majority of NPC sorority women associate membership only with the college experience.
I believe (almost 100% sure) at least one NPC has had colonies that go on for several years, and members are initiated during those years before the charter is granted.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I believe (almost 100% sure) at least one NPC has had colonies that go on for several years, and members are initiated during those years before the charter is granted.
I think I'm thinking the same think you're thinking.

We have some wonderful alumnae in the Atlanta area that really tried with Clayton - as in if anyone could get it cooking they could - but the interest simply wasn't there.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
You're not wrong. AEPhi initiates new members when they complete their NM requirements. I was a member of a local sorority that became an AEPhi chapter, but we did not have enough members to be chartered immediately. Although we were a colony, we were still initiated. We then recruited enough NMs to be chartered, and when they were initiated, the chapter was chartered.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Another Ditto.

We had a colonization about 3 years ago that never took off. The other NPC colony who tried before also failed, and the one afterwards, too.
Wow. What school was that? Tough campus for Greek life.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Wow. What school was that? Tough campus for Greek life.
Some schools are like that. A similar thing happened at Clayton State University in Atlanta a few years ago. ASA and Theta Phi Alpha both had colonies there. Theta Phi Alpha chartered, but the chapter closed a couple of years later. The ASA colony never chartered, but I feel like I read somewhere that the women were given the option of being initiated at a different chapter if they chose. The school is a commuter campus with many non-traditional students. NPHC greek life is very strong on campus, but NIC and NPC groups have never really taken hold.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to everyone. Alpha Sigma Tau initiates and charters in the same first semester.

It wasn't always that way though, But has been standard practice for the past 5 years and 10 colonizations.