GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,163
0 members and 2,163 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Recruitment Prediction (Fall 2008)

Prediction of number of fall 2008 pledges at Bama:

http://media.www.cw.ua.edu/media/sto...-3389881.shtml

excerpt:
the 2008 recruitment class is predicted to be one of the largest in UA history.

"This is shaping up to be another record year for recruitment at the Capstone," said Gentry McCreary, director of greek affairs.

The Department of Greek Affairs at the University of Alabama predicts that more than 1,500 women and 900 men will pledge a greek organization in the fall.

In 2008, 20 percent of the UA student body belonged to one of the 54 greek organizations represented on campus.

I guess we'll see fairly soon, since Bama's NPC sorority recruitment kicks off in a month.

Edited to add: 1,500 women and 900 men: seems like a substantial disparity, but if that's what Greek life is like at Bama, so be it. Any insights about why so many more women than men are expected to go Greek there?

Last edited by exlurker; 07-10-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion, the fraternity and sorority systems are very different. The fraternities have an informal recruitment process in the fall, but it is not well advertised, attended or enjoyed. They just recruit guys that they know from high school and family friends. And well, there has been enough talk about the sororities so you know how that works. There are WAY more IFC (mid-20s) fraternities than NPC sororities (now 16) and they tend to be 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the sororities. The fraternities are also much more expensive than the sororities. Your larger, more established fraternities (by this I mean the one's with corp. board houses instead of university owned housing) are anywhere from 2500-5000 a semester. The sororities hover in the 2000 range. Keep in mind that these houses have meal plans that bump up cost. The fraternities have been working really hard to build up numbers to accommodate the increase in enrollment and the growing sorority population. A few years ago, the largest fraternity probably wasn't even half the size of the average sorority. So, they are working on evening things out. It just takes time.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Edited to add: 1,500 women and 900 men: seems like a substantial disparity, but if that's what Greek life is like at Bama, so be it. Any insights about why so many more women than men are expected to go Greek there?
It's similar in disparity to ours, I believe.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-11-2008, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

This projection of total PNMs isn't surprising if you consider that over the past decade+ the percentage of Greek students has steadily hung around 20-24%. The University has been growing the student population over the same period, thus an equivalent number of students pursuing Greek life.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

True that...I don't consider 20% a particularly high ratio, either. 25% would be a little more normal...40-50% exceptionally high!
20% greek means, of course that 80% of the student body is NOT greek.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
The fraternities are also much more expensive than the sororities. Your larger, more established fraternities (by this I mean the one's with corp. board houses instead of university owned housing) are anywhere from 2500-5000 a semester. The sororities hover in the 2000 range. Keep in mind that these houses have meal plans that bump up cost.
Just wondering, do those figures represent dues only, room and board only, or dues + room + board?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Just wondering, do those figures represent dues only, room and board only, or dues + room + board?
Dues only, for Arkansas.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In my opinion, the fraternity and sorority systems are very different. The fraternities have an informal recruitment process in the fall, but it is not well advertised, attended or enjoyed. They just recruit guys that they know from high school and family friends. And well, there has been enough talk about the sororities so you know how that works. There are WAY more IFC (mid-20s) fraternities than NPC sororities (now 16) and they tend to be 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the sororities. The fraternities are also much more expensive than the sororities. Your larger, more established fraternities (by this I mean the one's with corp. board houses instead of university owned housing) are anywhere from 2500-5000 a semester. The sororities hover in the 2000 range. Keep in mind that these houses have meal plans that bump up cost. The fraternities have been working really hard to build up numbers to accommodate the increase in enrollment and the growing sorority population. A few years ago, the largest fraternity probably wasn't even half the size of the average sorority. So, they are working on evening things out. It just takes time.
Yeah, that's about what I thought. I asked about this last year during recruitment. I remember during my college days in the late 1980's, the percentage of undergrad females in a sorority at the Capstone was 33, 34, and 33% for three straight years, percentages comparable to my alma mater, Ole Miss (which of course, has a super strong social greek system, I believe the highest percentage of undergrads socially greek of any public university in America most every year). Yet the Bama' fraternity percentage those years was 19 or 20% compared to the 30ish range at Ole Miss. I wondered why the big difference. I didn't think that many more girls than guys just happened to be interested in greek life at Alabama. You explained the Capstone fraternity situation well, and at Ole Miss, as I pointed out last year, fraternities have one of the most formalized recruitment structures anywhere, a three-round process held at the same time as sorority recruitment; and perhaps most importantly, (as I'd known before but didn't realize the significance of until later) have a formal recruitment feature where if you get invited back to any final round party at any fraternity, you automatically have a bid to that fraternity if you want it. Well, as you can imagine, particularly with popular fraternities, a lot of guys WILL take an automatic bid if they get the chance. It seems pretty clear to me that these two things help ensure that Ole Miss fraternity numbers are among the highest in the nation and not much lower than the sorority numbers.

I wonder how much higher Alabama fraternity numbers would be if they did most all their recruiting formally and especially if they had the automatic bid feature I just described?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post

It is dues and board (food). Living in the fraternities is a huge range. Some of the newer houses are equal to the cost of living in a dorm - several hundred a month. However, some of the older houses are REALLY CHEAP. I know of one house that charges $50 a semester to live there...I don't think the conditions could be very good...
Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
I wonder how much higher Alabama fraternity numbers would be if they did most all their recruiting formally and especially if they had the automatic bid feature I just described?
It would never happen. You might could do a more formalized recruitment but an automatic bid system would not fly. The fraternity men and alumni would flip out (and they donate way too much money to the university and the chapters to make them mad).
Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It would never happen. You might could do a more formalized recruitment but an automatic bid system would not fly. The fraternity men and alumni would flip out (and they donate way too much money to the university and the chapters to make them mad).
Oh, I'm certain you're right there, (that makes it very interesting to me that that feature exists at "middle name greek" Ole Miss, just has always been that way I guess!) just wondering what the numbers would be at Bama' if it were so!?

Last edited by magnoliacurious; 07-11-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Dues only, for Arkansas.
Annual chapter dues for active AOII members are $1,200 at Arkansas. That's in the ballpark of most other campus chapters.

Room and board figures are all over the place at Arkansas though. The more established chapters have much lower prices because their houses are paid off (for the most part). New construction in Fayetteville is very pricey, and the AOIIs with the new house are looking at roughly $9,000 per year for a double.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Back to the original topic. FYI as of this morning Bama has 1406 PNMs registered with about 2 1/2 weeks to go before Recruitment starts. Last year (2007) we had 1410 total.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Back to the original topic. FYI as of this morning Bama has 1406 PNMs registered with about 2 1/2 weeks to go before Recruitment starts. Last year (2007) we had 1410 total.
WOWSERS! Looks like it's going to be a great year! I can't wait to hear what quota will be!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Aren't we glad they are set to expand with two groups soon?

Wow.

Can I hijack: why don't they do the expansion recruitment during regular recruitment at Alabama? It seems like it'd be a lot better to recruit girls before regular recruitment might have somewhat disappointed them. I know there's a presentation, right? Why not do the whole thing?

I'm just thinking that starting recruitment after the groups have bid 1400 women doesn't leave that many women who are interested in being Greek in the pool.
Closed Thread