GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,346
1 members and 1,345 guests
acg233

Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Florida State bans Greek Life After Student Death

Florida State bans Greek Life After Student Death
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...th/836890001//

Last edited by Kevin; 11-06-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Fixed your link
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a link which works for me:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/br...G5gFZRJ1xpZQI/

This is sadly pretty typical. A tragedy will occur, Greek Life will be suspended for the last few weeks of school (most chapters have concluded the majority of their business by this time anyhow) and we'll return in the Spring not meaningfully different than we were the previous November and life will go on.

While his "ban" might go over for a couple weeks, if we see it continued through the Spring semester, someone will sue and I predict the University will lose.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-06-2017, 03:29 PM

One thing I especially have an issue with is the banning of chapter meetings. Chapter meetings are important to the unity of organizations (especially if the chapter conducts ritual during them) and to get information to all the members.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, but at this point, we're talking one or two meetings, right? So long as things resume in the Spring, no one is dying on that hill.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM

At the end of the semester, these could be meetings where next semester officers are being elected (or even chapter presidents and vp positions if the chapter exec committee is done by yearly calendar).

Quite frankly, being able to meet weekly with my chapter brothers in a chapter meeting would have been a hill worth dying for in my opinion.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:27 PM

For Tri Sigma, suspending meetings during this time would be really inconvenient as November is election season. I'm sure if this happened at one of our schools, NHQ would work something out to just have them in Jan.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yeah, but at this point, we're talking one or two meetings, right? So long as things resume in the Spring, no one is dying on that hill.
My sorority was gearing up for elections before Winter Break - and some of the current officers are graduating in December! So that's interesting to figure out...
Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriMarie View Post
My sorority was gearing up for elections before Winter Break - and some of the current officers are graduating in December! So that's interesting to figure out...
True. I'd have to really think about it, but I might, in consultation with the national office, have my meetings anyway and dare the school to sanction us for a constitutionally protected activity.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

What about the date parties, holiday dances and formals? If a chapter has to cancel its plans and loses the deposit, is FSU going to reimburse the chapter?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
What about the date parties, holiday dances and formals? If a chapter has to cancel its plans and loses the deposit, is FSU going to reimburse the chapter?

No, there are dozens of chapters with upcoming events and they will all have to absorb the costs of the deposits. Supplies already purchased/ordered for homecoming floats will go unused. I'm not even sure they could be donated, as the chapters are not allowed to participate in any philanthropic events.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

This is big enough that NPC and IFC might want to lawyer up. There are a lot of us who have been waiting for some kind of confrontation because we'd like to know what the extent of University control actually is at public schools. Surely they cannot ban student groups from meeting with the threat of sanctions.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 PM

See also: the loss of members and such.

A chapter on my campus lost new members just from being on social probation for a semester because the prevailing attitude is (and rightfully so) "I did not join a sorority to not be able to do stuff. Different situation as that was one chapter.

Although I am sure in this case since it affects everyone, the stuff will just go off campus.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
This is big enough that NPC and IFC might want to lawyer up. There are a lot of us who have been waiting for some kind of confrontation because we'd like to know what the extent of University control actually is at public schools. Surely they cannot ban student groups from meeting with the threat of sanctions.
Having the NPC/IFC start the legal ball rolling at a D1 university (and not a D2/D3 small college) sounds wise.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Ironic how in another situation when a quarterback is the suspect in two rapes FSU didn't ban all university athletics. They actually covered up the issue and eventually settled the lawsuit out of court for approximately $950,000.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirby...b_9421824.html
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
At the end of the semester, these could be meetings where next semester officers are being elected (or even chapter presidents and vp positions if the chapter exec committee is done by yearly calendar).

Quite frankly, being able to meet weekly with my chapter brothers in a chapter meeting would have been a hill worth dying for in my opinion.
That is exactly where we will be. Elections just happened and the transition will be in process.