GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,548
2 members and 1,546 guests
PrettyBoy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2005, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

LSUgrrl -- I understand what you're saying, and I don't really blame you for it. You're right that it's not fair that these chapters have a cut-once, cut-always policy (which I'm 99 percent sure is a local decision and not a national one). Here is the problem with what you're saying: a lot of the women on GC belong to smaller chapters at their respective schools, and even those who didn't have friends who are. As a non-Greek, you don't really understand the issues that smaller chapters face. We do -- which is why so many GC-ers get annoyed with any post that insinuates you're not giving all the chapters a chance.

Personally, I think they're making a leap when they assume that you've decided against those four chapters because they're "not good enough for you," when it's just as possible that you decided not to pursue them because you found out they hazed or something.

But here is what it comes down to: you have every right to cut chapters based on whether or not they fit your personality. And those chapters, in return, have every right to cut you if they feel that you don't fit in with them. It's quite possible that you really are a great girl that fell through the cracks. We hear a lot about that at LSU. And you're right -- if that's the case, it's not fair that you can't rush again. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things out there that are not fair, and you can either complain about it or you can do something to fix it:

1) If you really feel that your college career is going to be incomplete without going Greek, you can transfer to a school with a less competitive rush, or
2) You can make the most of your college experience at LSU by joining other groups, making friends in the dorms, and forgetting about Greek life. I went early alum in my sorority, so I'm still in college but no longer an active member. Are things totally different now that I don't do rush or the mixer thing? Definitely. But if I had to make the decision again, I would make the same one. Being outside of the Greek system this year has freed up a lot of time to do other things that I'm interested in and meet people I would have never met otherwise. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

We understand that certain policies at LSU are unfair. But we can't change these policies, and neither can you. And there are definitely some advantages to not going Greek, and I'm sure that if you stay at LSU you'll find out what they are. But first you need to let go of the regret of not being in a sorority. It's in the past -- the only thing you're doing now is making yourself miserable by stressing out about what could have been. It's not that worth it.