GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,529
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Alfredliedy
» Online Users: 1,225
0 members and 1,225 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sewage Problems - HELP!!

The water company has been working on my street this week, and spray painted & flagged most of the houses. I didn't think much of it until last night, when the carbon monoxide dectector went off. I just unplugged it, thinking that, since I never start the car before opening the garage door, it must be defective.

Until I went downstairs. There is raw sewage coming out of the drain! It's minimal, but obviously, I can't call the water company about it on the weekend. And I'm about to go out for dinner with a dear friend.

But what about the little dog? Do you think it's safe to leave him here, with possible carbon monoxide? Obviously, I'd leave windows open, but I was also told that I should probably go to a hotel until Monday. Oh, let's not forget that I have a lot of moving boxes downstairs, too!

HELP!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
The water company has been working on my street this week, and spray painted & flagged most of the houses. I didn't think much of it until last night, when the carbon monoxide dectector went off. I just unplugged it, thinking that, since I never start the car before opening the garage door, it must be defective.

Until I went downstairs. There is raw sewage coming out of the drain! It's minimal, but obviously, I can't call the water company about it on the weekend. And I'm about to go out for dinner with a dear friend.

But what about the little dog? Do you think it's safe to leave him here, with possible carbon monoxide? Obviously, I'd leave windows open, but I was also told that I should probably go to a hotel until Monday. Oh, let's not forget that I have a lot of moving boxes downstairs, too!

HELP!!!!
Call the fire department. Once I had latex paint set it off. They came out, did some measurements and then told me to plug the detector back in the next day.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

what do you mean you can't call them on the weekend????? yes you can! they have emergency numbers for this kind of thing!!!! if your CO monitor is going off even with the windows open, it's time to get out, doggie too!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

agree with irishlake. call them, your city/county commissioner, the mayor,the fire department and the police. and i hope you have already exited your house, buffy in tow, and can't read this!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I've had two sets of firemen here since my last post. There are two problems: first, since this house was basically locked up for the better part of six year (while I was helping my mama), the carbon monoxide from the hot water heater has been building up - you should have heard the alarms that the firemen have! Also, there are a lot of trees in the neighborhood (I had 13 taken out of my yard when I moved here), and that's what is probably backing up the sewer - which could lead to sewer gas.

They shut off the hot water (I'll most likely need a new tank), and have all of the windows open to air out the house, so I'll be here, making sure all is well. That way, I can schedule someone for Monday, and not get the weekend emergency charges! Oh, I'm not to cook, (except the microwave, and not until tomorrow). My mother made me get the carbon monoxide detector, so I'm feeling as if she is still protecting me! No wonder the little dog & I have been so tired lately!

Thank you all - I wouldn't have thought to call the Fire Department. You possibly saved my life! (and the little dog's, too!)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Whew. That was good you called them. It's a pain to have all of that other stuff going on, but at least you will be safe.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

oh honey, thank goodness you called them!!!!! we have to snake our sanitary line once a year to take care of the root problem, so i feel for ya!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Honey I am so glad you are safe- and your little dog, too! I'm so glad that you had the alarm, people recommended calling the fire department, and they took care of the rest.

IL- there's a product called Root-X you can buy online that you can do once a year instead of snaking. It was recommended to us by our sewer line inspector when we bought the house. Of course in two years we have yet to do it but have snaked the lines twice, even though we bought the stuff. But hey, what fun is prevention when you can have sewer problems We obviously need to get on that!! But if it's a recurring problem for you too, check into that. It'll be a lot cheaper, easier, and less time consuming (not to mention less nasty) in the long run.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

We get something like that and put it in after every tiem we snake. Supposedly it's best to do it when the roots are freshly cut. So far.... hasn't helped.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Honey I am so glad you are safe- and your little dog, too! I'm so glad that you had the alarm, people recommended calling the fire department, and they took care of the rest.
ME TOO!!!! You can't be too careful about something like this. And the little doggie ... glad he's/she's safe. Bless his/her heart!
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa