GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,416
2 members and 1,414 guests
Titchou

Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

It's the unprepared freshmen I'm most concerned about!
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Did you have to post such a large image?
Yup, I sure did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Sis View Post
It's extremely petty to not only belabor the point about her physical appearance, but also to pick the most unattractive picture of her possible. She has never indicated that she wished to join a sorority, and it's obvious that she has other priorities in life. We can discuss the case without resorting to ad hominem attacks, mkay?
Yep, petty and spiteful. That's me! You are free to ignore/block my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
It's the unprepared freshmen I'm most concerned about!
This is a conversation we have been having in my organizations. Maybe not "unprepared" in the sense that you may be thinking (or maybe you are) but in general I am concerned that any of our organizations will just become echo chambers of middle and upper classes, leaving low-income and first generation college students outside of the conversation.

But I know we've discussed that in some form on GC before.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
In all my years of GreekChat....

I have NEVER seen an SEC sorority woman -- or ANY sorority woman, for that matter -- who looked like Abby.

I have seen overweight sorority women.

I have seen sorority women of all colors.

I have seen Lesbian sorority women - even masculine of center sorority women.

But I have never, ever, ever seen a sorority woman on these pages who looked like this:

If that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right.
I tried to double-click on this post to love it, but GC isn't IG. Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Sis

I also fail to see how getting rid of race considerations in regards to admissions makes her a racist.
Here's the thing. In her complaint, she failed to discuss the 42 white kids who didn't get in to UT with worse scores than she did. The 5 students of color who did were a bridge too far!

"Although one African-American and four Latino applicants with lower combined academic and personal achievement scores than Ms. Fisher’s were provisionally admitted, so were 42 white applicants whose scores were identical to or lower than hers. Similarly, 168 black and Latino students with academic and personal achievement profiles that were as good as, or better than, Ms. Fisher’s were also denied, according to the university," Elise Boddie, a law professor at Rutgers, wrote in the New York Times this week."
Old 07-20-2016, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So you NEVER ran across a triple legacy whose grandmother donated a wing of the house so her darling granddaughter would be pledged? The actives gave her a bid because after all "someone has to plan the homecoming float and she's a good worker".

Sen must NOT be from the South. LOL.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
In all my years of GreekChat....

I have NEVER seen an SEC sorority woman -- or ANY sorority woman, for that matter -- who looked like Abby.

I have seen overweight sorority women.

I have seen sorority women of all colors.

I have seen Lesbian sorority women - even masculine of center sorority women.

But I have never, ever, ever seen a sorority woman on these pages who looked like this:

If that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right.
I wouldn't expect such misogyny and sexism from someone so concerned with human rights.

Just for the record, all NPC sororities have women of all looks, even those who don't fit cultural standards of attractiveness. Perhaps few if any in 'face houses' but that's the vast minority.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I think we can impugn someone's ideas without calling into question their physical attractiveness, or lack thereof. This has become a bit too childish. I'm certainly not defending her ideas as the lawsuit against UT was pretty hairbrained to begin with. I believe the controlling law was Gratz v. Bollinger, which threw out a points system based on objective criteria, awarding (for example) 20 points for being a racial minority, but only 12 points for a perfect SAT score. Since UT's system weighed a great many factors, I'm really not surprised by the outcome here.

I am curious, however, to know who on Earth funds the "Center for Equal Opportunity," which I guess is who bankrolled this lawsuit. Who would give money to an organization wanting to make our institutions of higher learning more white? I can certainly imagine some racists would be in favor of that cause, but I can't imagine anyone caring enough to give money to it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

This was a good read.

Quote:
Years ago, I helped Abigail Fishers get into college in Texas. That was my job: I “tutored” entitled teenagers through the application process. Specifically, and ominously for my later life, I taught them to write a convincing personal essay.....
http://jezebel.com/all-the-greedy-yo...-me-1782508801
Old 07-23-2016, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
It was, indeed. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I am curious, however, to know who on Earth funds the "Center for Equal Opportunity," which I guess is who bankrolled this lawsuit. Who would give money to an organization wanting to make our institutions of higher learning more white? I can certainly imagine some racists would be in favor of that cause, but I can't imagine anyone caring enough to give money to it.
Here you go - the info is a bit old, but it seems like there are a number of entities that have provided or still provide funding: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...al_Opportunity.