GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,873
2 members and 1,871 guests
bmilestts1685

Old 10-22-2003, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Working it out!

There are a LOT of diet threads on GC. Which is great. We should all be thinking about what we put in our bodies, regardless of whether we go low carb or low fat. But more than that we need to get our BOOTIES IN GEAR!

The black community has higher rates of obesity than the community ing general. We need to watch what we eat and move more.

Sorors, Memberfriends and Sisterfriends! What is your workout schedule? This is your general plan- I know that I don't always do everything I want, but I am really good about doing weights and one day of cardio at the very least! If you don't have a plan you need to start working on one ASAP! We have higher rates of heart disease too!

Here's mine:

M: was 30 minutes moderate-high intensity interval cardio, now 60 minutes African dance

T or W (whenever I have recovered from M): upper body w/weights. My upper body workout consists of:
3 sets of 12-8, starting with light weight at 12 reps for the first set and ending with 8 reps at the maximum weight that I can handle with good form
bench press
pushups
dead lifts
rows with a barbell
hammer curls
tricep kickbacks
8 minute abs

Th: Rest

F: was 30 minutes cardio, now 90 minues of African dance

Saturday: rest/go out and party

Sunday: Lower body with weights:
squats with barbell
lunges with dumbells
deadlifts
calf raises

ETA: If anyone wants help putting together an efficient workout schedule I am happy to help, or point you to a website where you can get really good advice.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by lovelyivy84; 10-22-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2003, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Working it out!

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84

Saturday: rest/go out and party
I like this day!

Well...living in NJ and working in NY with a crazy toddler doesn't give me much time. I try to go to the gym twice week. The days vary. It depends on when Mr toocute can pick up babyperson toocute.

Day one
Aerobics class 45 minutes
After class do the weight machines
Stretch
Run to port Authority to head home

Day two
Same as day one

I try to walk whenever I can
- From the bus terminal to work and vice versa. Those of you in NYC, Bus is at 40th and 8th I work on 3rd and 39th. Thats a NICE walk.
- From the daycare to my house. That's a nice ten minute walk

I'm going to buy a workout tape so I can add one or two more days to my routine. When terror toddler get a little older things should get better
Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Working it out!

Quote:
Originally posted by toocute

I'm going to buy a workout tape so I can add one or two more days to my routine. When terror toddler get a little older things should get better
I know what you mean. My cousin lives in NJ and I used to stay with them a great deal when I was unemployed. I got to watch the baby (now a precocious 2 year old) so she could make her 8:30 tae bo class, lol. Luckily I LOVE that baby and was happy to have her around, so it worked out for me!

Her gym expanded last year and now they have a day care center that all the Mommies who work out use.

Gyms in NYC are really surprisingly far behind when it comes to helping exercisers with kids out. I have yet to see one with a day care center available (although i think that New York Sports Club has them- when you pay more than 100 bucks/month for your gym you ARE entitled to a few perks I suppose).

I like to walk sometimes too- on days that I don't feel like being inside a gym I walk from Penn Station to the Border's on 31st and 3rd ave for a quick sugar-free French soda and then back (waiting til the rush hour madness has died down).
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I started Weight Watchers 1 month ago and so far I have lost about 11 pounds ...So I am very happy about that. I try to add in as much exercise as possible. I use my school's fitness center three times a week. I do the cardio machines for about 15 minutes and the treadmill for another 15 minutes. I've also been experimenting with free weights. If I can get to the gym, I do little things like walk to the next train station instead of getting on one train to transfer to the other. I just end up taking one train. I also take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalators. I feel great doing this. Oh, since I can't so push ups for the life of me, I would do push-ups against the wall....it does work. Eventually,I'll be able to do on the floor. Keep up the work ladies.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I almost forgot....I am going to sign up for aqua running. Has anyone done this before?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Working it out!

Quote:
Gyms in NYC are really surprisingly far behind when it comes to helping exercisers with kids out. I have yet to see one with a day care center available (although i think that New York Sports Club has them- when you pay more than 100 bucks/month for your gym you ARE entitled to a few perks I suppose).
Yes...the gym by my house has a daycare but the class schedule sucks and the music the instructors use is corny. I can not get my sweat on to corny azz music. It doesn't motivate me. The best class I ever took was at the Luccille Roberts downtown Brooklyn. We use to do step to salsa, reggae. We used to JAM!!!

ETA:

That sugar free french soda sounds yummy. I might walk down during lunch and get one. Let me search for the points value.

Last edited by toocute; 10-22-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Here's my workout schedule (I went back to the gym about a month ago and work w/ a trainer)

Monday, Wednesday and Friday:

Treadmill - always on an incline, never flat

Calisthenics

Weight Training

Ab workout

Always finish off with a good stretch.

Today is Wednesday, so guess where I'll be @ lunchtime??
Old 10-22-2003, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Exercise balls are good too

If you can find exercises that incorporate an exercise ball, then do so. A lot of fitness instructors recommend them and they cost about $13.

You can feel the difference doing regular crunches and then doing crunches on a ball because you're also struggling not to roll off the ball.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Working it out!

That's why I am taking an African dance class. With a step class you never know if you'll be trying to dance as you are stepping, or if you'll spnd an hour trying not to roll your eyes! I can't hang with corny music, techno or house (which all of the male instructors use for SOME reason). It is easier to get on the elliptical trainer with my mp3 player and do my thing, but the BEST is a hip hop, bellydance or African dance class.

The french soda at Border's has:
seltzer
half and half
sugar-free vanilla syrup

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally posted by toocute
Yes...the gym by my house has a daycare but the class schedule sucks and the music the instructors use is corny. I can not get my sweat on to corny azz music. It doesn't motivate me. The best class I ever took was at the Luccille Roberts downtown Brooklyn. We use to do step to salsa, reggae. We used to JAM!!!

ETA:

That sugar free french soda sounds yummy. I might walk down during lunch and get one. Let me search for the points value.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Paradise359
I usually do cardio & weight training 3-5 times a week & then when I don't do that I do Pilates which is fantastic! Pilates is a wonderful strength training workout & developes lean muscle. I really, really TRY to eat right, but as much as I exercise I'd be anorexic if I stopped eating Big N Tastys lol

Last edited by Paradise359; 10-22-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Working it out!

Quote:
I can't hang with corny music, techno or house (which all of the male instructors use for SOME reason).
Let's not start with that! There is a male instructor at the Luccille Robert's on 40th and 8th that is a str8 DIVA. I can't stand him and avoid his classes. Whole 'nother thread.

Quote:
The french soda at Border's has:
seltzer
half and half
sugar-free vanilla syrupI hope that helps!
That does help thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradise359
I usually do cardio & weight training 3-5 times a week & then when I don't do that I do Pilates which is fantastic! Pilates is a wonderful strength training workout & developes lean muscle. I really, really TRY to eat right, but as much as I exercise I'd be anorexic if I stopped eating Big N Tastys lol
It doesn't develop much in the way of lean muscle from what I have read. Weight bearing exercises develop lean muscle- the process begins with causing minute tears in muscle tissue that your body must then heal- muscle growth. Pilates does provide an excellent core workout but it really can't take the place of weight bearing exercises.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to Weight Watchers too but I was only losing about 1lb a week so I incorporated a low carb diet with the plan and lost 4.5 in one week!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LawyerGal
Trying, tryin'

When I was in Jamaica I had a tight routine down but since I been back it has slipped a bit but the plan I've tried to stick with is:

Monday - 40 mins on Treddie (random setting) & 1 hr Power Flex Class w/ free weights

Tuesday- 1 mile walk

Weds- 1 Mile walk

Thursday- 40 mins. Treddie (random/fat burn setting) & Upper & lower body machines

Friday- Off

Sat.- 1 mile Mall or Hiking Trail walk

Sun- Off

I plan to add Pilates not sure how often I should do it. A/w I bought the DVDs but have yet to use them. I have a friend who has been using it and she really looks great so I will use it tomorrow and just get it going!

I am also doing WW, I am down about 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months or so most I lost most in Ja. But since I started the new Flex Points program I lost like 4 pounds last week!!!

Lovely Ivy please post or email me the sites you mentioned I would love to check them out!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LawyerGal
Quote:
Originally posted by encouraged1
I go to Weight Watchers too but I was only losing about 1lb a week so I incorporated a low carb diet with the plan and lost 4.5 in one week!
Encor. how do you like the new Flex points plan? I find it a bit easier to follow b/c its a set number rather than trying to stick within the range which mid way thru the day i would change anyway...lol... So I am more focused

BTW, I am not sure if you ever visit the Delphi boards but there is a Weight Watchers board on there with nice tips etc. try and check it out!