GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 863
0 members and 863 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment @ Nicholls State

So, I am really interested and excited to go through sorority recruitment at Nicholls State, but also nervous at the same time...
I am from way out of town and know no one on campus, and also 23 years old. (Not old, but old enough)
Is it easier to rush with a friend, and how will my age possibly affect me being in a sorority?

Is anyone familiar with Greek life at Nicholls, or has advice? It is greatly appreciated!

--Bee
Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

You should definitely check out their Greek Life website here: http://www.nicholls.edu/greek/
And fill out the recruitment application here: https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...spx?UID=NISTUN

Rushing with a friend is fun, as long as you don't get your hearts set on joining the same sorority together. Sororities might feel iffy about taking one but not the other in those sorts of situations. It's always good to have a friend there for the emotional support, though. I'm sure you'll meet many new people in your recruitment group. I'm still close with several girls from mine.

I don't know anything about Nicholls State, but I can give a few general answers. As for your age, it really depends on if are there a lot of non-traditional age students at your school and in Greek Life. Are you going to be a freshman this fall? Is this your first time in college? Are you married or do you have children? If you're an upperclassman or pursuing a second degree, this might have a negative impact on your recruitment. If you are married or have children, keep in mind that being in a sorority is a huge time commitment before you decide to go through recruitment. Other than that, I can't offer you specific advice without knowing more of your background.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapters represented at Nicholls State are: Delta Zeta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, and Phi Mu. All are incredible organizations! Please, if you could be given any advice at all, please---go in with an OPEN mind. All chapters (by looking at their pages) seem to be full of cute and bubbly-looking girls/ young women!

If you don't mind me asking-why are you rushing so late? I'm not judging you. I just want to know. I rushed as a Sophmore (who was already 21) because I spent time in Iraq during the war. This pushed me back, a little. It was the best decision I have ever made (going Greek) and I wish you the best in finding your home!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the insight!
As for why I haven't rushed sooner, I haven't had the chance. I took a few classes at a time at community college when I was able, due to paying tuition myself and also living on my own since I graduated HS. It hasn't been easy, so I only have a handful of credits and the university is actually classifying me as a freshman.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruit_2011 View Post
Thanks for the insight!
As for why I haven't rushed sooner, I haven't had the chance. I took a few classes at a time at community college when I was able, due to paying tuition myself and also living on my own since I graduated HS. It hasn't been easy, so I only have a handful of credits and the university is actually classifying me as a freshman.
Since you probably have at least 3 years left at your new school, your class standing shouldn't be a problem during recruitment. If you explain that you just transferred from a community college, they may assume that you are older than the typical freshman, so there's no need for you to go around broadcasting the fact that you're 23. If you put your best foot forward when it comes to your conversations and your appearance, people might not even notice your age because it will be overshadowed by your awesomeness.

As long as you don't go in with a motherly, older-and-wiser attitude I don't think your age should be a problem. Be aware though, that most (if not all) of your pledge class will be significantly younger than you. You might not share many common interests with a bunch of 18 year old girls. Just be bubbly, outgoing, and fun and go in with an open mind. Good luck with your recruitment.