GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,375
1 members and 1,374 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Getting Ready for Ole Miss Rush

Hey everyone,

I know that this is abit early, since I am planning on rushing in the fall 08... but, I'll be transferring to Ole Miss next fall from a junior college and currently I don't know anybody up there. I do know that I want to join a fraternity.. however, don't know which one yet or what I need to do to prepare.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to prepare for this? I've heard it's extremely tough and competitive... I just would like to be prepared and have all of those...recommendation letters and all. (I don't know anyone who's a greek alumnus, my family is actually pretty anti-greek... just, I've met some really good guys who are greek.) So, also, when I go up and visit on a weekend later, would it be kinda weird to try and get to know some of the people there or not?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

As I understand it, formal rush is held in the fall (deferred) at Ole Miss. However, many/most/all of Ole Miss' fraternities have summer rush events. I would suggest that you contact the Ole Miss Greek Life Office in the spring (2008) and sign up for rush. Your contact information should then be passed on to the various chapters before the summer rush events begin. In the meantime, check out the fraternities' websites (and their national websites) to get a better feel for what they are about and information about upcoming rush events as well.

Quote:
So, also, when I go up and visit on a weekend later, would it be kinda weird to try and get to know some of the people there or not?
It depends on the situation. I would not recommend just walking up to a house and/or members and trying to introduce yourself. Now you might happen to meet a member and you could causally bring it up that you are transferring next year and that you are interested in joining a fraternity. That would be ok. Also, if there is an open party or event you can attend, then do so. Again, you can check the chapters' website for possible events.

Best of luck.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright...thanks for the advice.

So, what about these letters of recommendations and all? How important are they... and what do you do if you don't know anyone who's greek?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing you have been reading some of the sorority recruitment threads where it is often recommended to have a letter of recommendation. Bottom line is that fraterntiy (IFC/NIC) rush is different than sorority (NPC) recruitment and as such, letters of recommendations are not needed for fraternity rush.

Now having said that, if a member knows the rushee and/or his family well, he might send a letter (or a note, email, phone call) to the chapter and give a heads up about the rushee. The type of letter depends on how well the member knows the rushee. As such, it might be a straight on recommendation or more likely it would simply serve as a letter of introduction. Again, kind of a "heads up" or "take a look at this guy" as it were.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahh, okay, gotcha... that makes alot more sense now. I just want to get some stuff together now, throw it in a file and then try and forget about it until end of next spring (or so).

Basically, as with most any potential, I'm worried about 2 things.
1. Not getting into a chapter that fits me.
2. Not getting into any chapter at all.

I know there's more than life to Greek life... just, it sounds like alot of fun, love the brothership that's shown, etc. ...and the fact that even though I'd only be there for 2 years (hopefully haha) it would give me a better chances of meeting alot of new people and all.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

transfer student

I think you should keep in mind that as a junior you'll be pledging mainly with Freshman and having mixers with soroities where the majority of the mixers are attended by freshman. Flag football. Christ, I couldn't handle being a junior and hanging around freshmen.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

*hijack*

What's the difference between alot of sheep and a group of freshmen? ...the sheep have 4 legs, the freshmen have 2.

*end hijack

...and, dude, it'll be good... at least you'll be prepared, eh?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

So, after reading these boards, I do have a couple more questions...

What's the difference between a formal rush, like at Ole Miss, and an informal rush? Just that you don't have to go to a party if you don't want to?

What's a COB (COR?) event? Just something for them to get more bids after they get their quota (which, I assume means they can't take any more?)?

I assume at a formal rush you have to go to all of everyone's events on the first day... is there any way you can get out of going to a particular groups event?

Basically, long story short, some friends and I were at a football game, some drunk Ole Miss frat guys came up, jumped my friends and I for no reason (literally, no reason, we didn't do anything) and since there were three times as many of them, I would rather not go to their house... just because, I don't want to be around those people.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if you can miss any open or first round of parties during Ole Miss' formal rush. If you do, you might be released from the whole process. Or you might not. Frankly, you really should check with Ole Miss about how rush is conducted at Ole Miss.

You may want to start with The University of Mississippi Greek Life page.

And FYI, COB/COR (Continuous Open Bidding/Continuous Open Recruitment) events are sorority related. Generally speaking they are recruitment events held outside of (NPC sorority) formal recruitment.

Many IFC fraternities do extend bids year round. With Formal Rush serving as a way for rushes to meet all the fraternities. Again, regarding Ole Miss specifically, you really need to check with them as to how Ole Miss conducts their rush.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

How much are the dues per semester at Ole Miss
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc11 View Post
How much are the dues per semester at Ole Miss
Quote from Greek Life Webpage:
What are the costs of joining a fraternity or sorority?

The Registration fee for Formal Recruitment is $75. It is due when you submit your application form online. The costs associated with the individual chapter dues are fairly subjective. We highly encourage potential new members to ask about the financial costs of each chapter during the first round of Recruitment. It is a very common topic of conversation, and should not be an awkward question. Typically, most chapters will address this issue up front. The average dues are about $350 per month, which includes membership fees, meal plan, social parties, t-shirts, and other items. For some groups, some of these costs are separate from the main dues. But please note, each house is different, this is simply an average estimate. It is also noteworthy that after the first year, dues are somewhat less because of the costs associated with initiation.

http://www.olemiss.edu/greeks/parents/
Frequently Asked Questions are in this section!

ETA: I didn't realize this was just about fraternity recruitment.....sorry!

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 09-24-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Beat me to the punch, OleMissGlitter. haha (hey, I try and do my homework before getting involved in something.) ...and, it does sound like a fair amount,, but, at least the house usually does provide meals which do add up to a fair amount.

So, from the sounds of it, it sounds like fraternity recruitment is a lot less complicated and doesn't have as much bull as the sorority recruitment. But, sometimes when reading this forum, I feel like I need to pull out Webster's Greek Dictionary. haha

....and, OleMissGlitter, it's all good, at least you went through the trouble of doing all of that and posting.

Last edited by OleMiss2007; 09-24-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

So, I know this isn't exactly Ole Miss Rush related... but, mind if I ask how some of the people here chose their houses? I mean, in some ways, they're so different yet, in some ways, so alike... seems kinda difficult. (unless its just the people that are different that give it a different feel??)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

When you're actually there, you'll be able to tell the differences.

I chose mine because I felt disenfranchised by the big houses on campus and decided to join a colony and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ealymc
You should definitely get either a yes/no/maybe feeling from the Houses. Ultimately, you'll find the place where you just feel right being there. That'll be the one.