GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,640
3 members and 1,637 guests
Sarak24034

Old 01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe this deserves a discussion

k

Last edited by elip...sis; 01-18-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elip...sis View Post
There's this petition I've been trying to promote (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/npc-time-to-change )

I know it's really taboo and it's frowned upon, but I witnessed a lot of young women dropping or staying and feeling "stuck" because they wouldn't get a second chance some place else. Every chapter has issues, totally get it, but sometimes it's too much to overcome. For me, that line was crossed after watching girls get harassed for speaking up about wrong doings, getting harassed and bullied for doing what they were told to do, watching girls get ignored, and having concerns ignored. I spoke up as a new member and an active and was constantly told "it gets better" or "it's getting handled" with none of the mistreatment ever really rectified. I think nationally, my former organization does great things (as all orgs do), but I can't be a part of it knowing that they knew about the treatment and took the word of one over the word of many.

I disaffiliated because of my experience as a whole, even with the good memories I had during three semesters. I had always wanted a group of girlfriends because I moved around a lot as a kid and the idea of having that bond seemed incredible. It killed that I had a bad experience and that I witnessed what I did because I KNOW that Greek Life is an amazing time. It's beneficial to our lives. I'm doing this because everyone who transfers to a school without their organization or who drops for whatever reason deserves a second chance at finding a sisterhood.

Lets be honest, disgruntled members have posted ritual and other secrets online already. Truthfully, other than our word, there's nothing stopping women from sharing secrets anyways (if they want to), but there could be an electronic form signed before a young woman goes through recruitment again. It's not costing the NPC anything, no monies in dues would be refunded BECAUSE going through recruitment and initiating was voluntary.

Some schools don't have a long new membership period, my school had recruitment in Feb. and we were initiated in April, and if we're being real here we know new members get treated differently than active members. We're asking lifelong commitments in a short period of time and sometimes who we are no longer matches up with the organization.

Please, before responding in anger or incredulous disbelief someone would even suggest this, take a moment and read the petition and the comments. In my mind, if we have women who actually want to be a part of the greek community why are we stopping them? They are/were our sisters and we should want to help them.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/npc-time-to-change
QFP. This is so full of mierda that I don't know where to start.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is wrong with this?

I'm not saying it's a large number of women compared to those who are happy within their organization the first go 'round.
I'm saying that those who aren't happy deserve a second opportunity
Old 01-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

No, they don't.

What a self-serving petition.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm no longer able to do this as a grad. student.

It's okay that you don't understand because that means you had a great experience. That's great for you. Unfortunately there are those who don't get to experience that.

Even those who transfer aren't that blessed.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

A second opportunity does exist if the new member chooses not to intiate after 6 weeks (give or take) and go through recruitment the following year. And even if the NPC were to change this rule, that doesn't mean organizations would be required to issue a bid to someone who was a former initiated member of another organization.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Entitled much? Do you think everyone should get do-overs for everything?
Old 01-18-2016, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

The chaos that would ensue would be phenomenal.

The member GLOs have, over the course of over a century, come together and created a system which, while not perfect, insures a quality experience for the vast majority of those who wish to join. I do not see all 26 chucking it for the kind of free for all which existed in sorority recruitment before the Agreements.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Correct. Just because they change the rule doesn't require a bid be issued, they'd still be going through recruitment again and all the same risks apply.

For those that I know and myself, our new member period was VASTLY different than our active membership treatment.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Entitled much? Do you think everyone should get do-overs for everything?
I'm not entitled, no you don't get do overs for everything in life, but this is still in the confines of the college experience and it's not as far fetched as you make it seem. Personally attacking someone isn't the correct way to go about this. I respect your opinion.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
The chaos that would ensue would be phenomenal.

The member GLOs have, over the course of over a century, come together and created a system which, while not perfect, insures a quality experience for the vast majority of those who wish to join. I do not see all 26 chucking it for the kind of free for all which existed in sorority recruitment before the Agreements.
There would be some initial chaos, I agree, but only because I think there are that many women who are unhappy with their organization. Just think of all the active alumnae organizations would have should this actually happen.

I simply think this warrants a serious discussion.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Since you aren't Greek--since you turned your back--this is not your kuleana. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Since you aren't Greek--since you turned your back--this is not your kuleana. Sorry.
That's fair, given your stance. However, I'd suggest coming from a place of more understanding and compassion. I made friends during my time as an active member and should you have had witnessed your friends tears or what have you I'm sure you'd feel just as passionately. There are hundreds of young women who want this and although we don't always get what we want simply questioning why can't this be done isn't a crazy thing to do.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hundreds? Prove it.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

As of right now, without much promotion other than a few Facebook posts and one feature on a blog I have 116 signatures on that petition. 21 comments saying that they agree and 1 saying the rules should stand.

It's a small number, true, but this is without constant promotion and those are only people who are willing to sign. At the very least these comments show that the conversation has been had between greek members. There are more who have seen this absolutely, but not everyone who agrees will sign. I just think this deserves consideration.