GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,323
0 members and 1,323 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwallgreek View Post
I knew nothing about recruitment. I knew nothing about sororities. Can you say 1974, transfer from California to a Texas school. I went through Spring Rush. Didn't get a bid from anyone but, the "yankee" sorority. I chose to accept. My senior year the chapter closed. Not the best of circumstances, but and it's a big BUT. I decided not to be like the alumane in the city. I decided I wouldn't want a chapter to resolve if I could help it. I decided to be very active in the Alumnae portion. I am still there. I also have 4 daughters who are not only my daughters, but my sisters. I have friends from their alumnae chapter who are always there for me and my girls. My sorority has meant far more to me as an alumna than it ever did as a collegiate. That may be bad to say, but it's true. I was looking through memorabilia the other day... my 5 year old daughter (she's now 29) gave me a homemade card with a squirrel on it. If a 5 year old grasps that significance, I know I've made a difference. My daughters knew from day 1 that I was an Alpha Gam and I made sure that they saw how important it was to me.
I get really frustrated when these girls think it's only about today. Sorority life is forever and I'll guarantee that's it's what happens AFTER your Collegiate years is what's really important.
With a few tweaks here and there, I could have written this story! So true (especially the bolded portion)!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Totally agree with rockwallgreek!

All that being said, the one issue I have is looking at yourself and saying, I won't be Greek if I don't accept this bid. This is NOT a reason to accept a bid. You should WANT to be a part of this sisterhood, because more than likely, these women are proud of their chapter and who they are, despite folks talking shit on them. If your only reason to take the bid is that you won't be Greek otherwise, spare the chapter your lack of desire and don't join.

Just my .02!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
YES. I think people forget to look at who is doing the gossiping. Those gossips probably have targets in their own sorority they attack. There are probably girls in that top house that feel like they can't do anything without being judged, attacked, gossiped about by their own sisters within the house. So to think you'd join that chapter and everything would be rosy likely isn't true.
Totes agree.

Also, you need to look at who told you which sorority is "Top". I'm betting if it's mainly from your roommates, they've been exaggerating their social status a wee bit, or at least making the social gap seem larger than it actually is.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I think when a bid is issued it can sometime be just a numbers thing, BUT I also think a chapter has seen something in you they can relate too. One of my favorite sayings I have ever read about recruitment is "We are not who you think you want to be, we are who you have always been."
Old 10-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekstreak View Post
My roommates are all in the top sorority on campus, and have said terrible things about and made fun of this one sorority, and I'm trying not to let it influence my decision.

This is the only sorority I got a bid from (it was REALLY hard to rush as a junior), and now I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. Thoughts??
Your roommates sound like a bunch of rhymes with punts. (Nice of them to pull for you and get you a bid in their "top" sorority. Not.)

Apparently, rushing as a junior, this is the only sorority that was un-shallow enough to see past your class status and let you in. Accept the bid, begin pledging and try getting to know the girls for a couple weeks. If you still are hiding your letters every time someone walks by, then drop out and don't initiate. If you keep an open mind, however, in a few weeks you may be saying "yeah, I'm in the FAT GIRL sorority - and I'm happier than I've ever been. You got a fucking problem with that?"

P.S. You might want to delete the second sentence of your post, as it's pretty distinguishing. Just sayin.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Your roommates sound like a bunch of rhymes with punts. (Nice of them to pull for you and get you a bid in their "top" sorority. Not.)

Apparently, rushing as a junior, this is the only sorority that was un-shallow enough to see past your class status and let you in. Accept the bid, begin pledging and try getting to know the girls for a couple weeks. If you still are hiding your letters every time someone walks by, then drop out and don't initiate. If you keep an open mind, however, in a few weeks you may be saying "yeah, I'm in the FAT GIRL sorority - and I'm happier than I've ever been. You got a fucking problem with that?"

P.S. You might want to delete the second sentence of your post, as it's pretty distinguishing. Just sayin.
Bravo.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

In the heirarchy of Stupid Rankings That Don't Mean Anything In Real Life, the service sorority is wayyyyyy down there. But I joined that group, I had a ton of fun, I loved the girls, and I rocked it. Were there people who probably thought "that's not a REAL sorority" or "all the losers join that group?" Probably. Did anyone ever say it to my face? No.

If you like the company of the girls, once you join (if you decide to do so) it won't matter what other people think- you'll be having a good time and making friends. What really matters, as OPs have said, is that YOU like the girls. It's okay if you don't, and really don't want to take the bid because you genuniely didn't click with the group. But don't let "potential" judgements by people who don't matter affect your opinion of the group if you enjoyed meeting them and think you'd like to become a member.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Remember, to the chapter that gave you a bid, they are the best sorority. The rest of the campus may not recognize it; other sororities may not recognize it. But I can almost guaran-damn-tee you the women in that chapter believe it is the best place to be.

Do you want to add to that, or not?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Hey...at least girl is laying it all out there and not giving us the "I didn't feel the connection" line. Points for honesty, and I respect that.

She's not giving us that line because I think she DOES feel a connection of some kind and isn't willing to just turn her back on this opportunity. This may have been the only bid that she received, but I don't think she'd consider taking it and having her roommates think she's lame if she felt absolutely nothing for this chapter. If she was in fact like those other PNMs that "didn't feel a connection" and she was honest, she would be saying, "I got a bid from the fat sorority.. I refuse to accept it! Give me advice on how to get the top sorority next semester.. Please!!!"

I agree that she deserves some credit, because I do think she sounds mature enough to recognize that even though this is the "fat sorority," she shouldn't just dismiss them altogether... especially if she really wants to be Greek.

My advice would be to accept the bid and see where it goes. If you find that you're not feeling it after a few weeks, you can drop. However, whatever you decide to do, don't let your roommates' opinions affect your decision! The girls in this sorority (both on a local/collegiate and national/alumnae level) could potentially be your best friends.. don't give that up because a few people choose to put them down for no reason whatsoever.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 PM

This strikes me like a HS scenario.

Becky is in the Science Club. She likes it and has fun in it. Her friends are in the Cute Girl Group who thinks Science Club is social suicide. Becky doesn't know what to do because she likes it, but doesn't want to be viewed as uncool.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
She's not giving us that line because I think she DOES feel a connection of some kind and isn't willing to just turn her back on this opportunity. This may have been the only bid that she received, but I don't think she'd consider taking it and having her roommates think she's lame if she felt absolutely nothing for this chapter. If she was in fact like those other PNMs that "didn't feel a connection" and she was honest, she would be saying, "I got a bid from the fat sorority.. I refuse to accept it! Give me advice on how to get the top sorority next semester.. Please!!!"

I agree that she deserves some credit, because I do think she sounds mature enough to recognize that even though this is the "fat sorority," she shouldn't just dismiss them altogether... especially if she really wants to be Greek.
Maybe. I think the fact that she's a junior and recognizes this is her only chance to be Greek is A reason, if not the only reason, she is on the fence and hasn't dismissed the chapter altogether.

Then again, in California, "fat" is probably 135 pounds or more.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekstreak View Post
I recently rushed as a junior at my small, private school in California (I transferred in the previous semester, spring of my sophomore year). Despite our school denouncing any ties with fraternal organizations (and thereby denying them any funding or recognition or affiliation with the school), we have four sororities and a few fraternities. Of course, one of these sororities is the "weird girl" sorority. The "fat girls," the "weird girls," the "ugly girls," the commuter students, etc. My roommates are all in the top sorority on campus, and have said terrible things about and made fun of this one sorority, and I'm trying not to let it influence my decision.

This is the only sorority I got a bid from (it was REALLY hard to rush as a junior), and now I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. Thoughts??
Forget your room mates and their nasty comments.

Do you like this group? Can you make friends there? Do you enjoy being around those girls? Do you share interests with them?

If the answer is "yes," then I'd take the bid. Real friends are way more important than your roommates' opinions. None of my friends and I went to the same houses when we rushed. We all listed different groups as our #1. We were different people with different needs and personalities.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

If your roommates' opinions are so important to you that you will do anything you can to impress them then you should definitely stay a geed. Letting other people dictate what you do with your life is an awesome way to live so this will be a good start.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Then again, in California, "fat" is probably 135 pounds or more.
I think it's hilarious when a chapter is referred to as "fat" but when you look at them, the perceived "fat girls" are maybe size 10 max, there are like 3 of them, and the rest of the chapter is maybe a 6ish.

The way people refer to them you'd think that everyone in the chapter was Jabba The Hut.

It's sad and funny at the same time.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I love how the OP's roommates are talking shit about 3 of the 4 sororities on campus, none of which they are in. I find it highly unlikely that 75% of the girl Greek scene on this campus is made of complete and total rejects. These girls' perspective of themselves and their sense of self-importance must be seriously skewed. Take the bid and get some new roommates.