GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,213
0 members and 2,213 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to do joint sponsorships like ABC and XYZ exam packs where both groups purchased and put together exam goody bags that included pens, pencils, candies, etc. Members from both groups put the bags together and manned the table together to give them out.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
On my campus we're starting a NPC philanthropy. We plan on a having a field day this fall to promote it and each sorority has to have a minimum number of girls participate. We want to keep it fun and competitive but not pit the sororities against each other like in all the other on campus functions. Soooo we've decided to have 1-2 girls from every house on each team. It is a way to meet girls from other houses and work together. I'm really excited for the experience and think it'll be great!
This is a super duper awesome idea.

I've been saying for a while that they should get rid of the largely pointless "philanthropy day" during rush and instead have a day where all the sorority members and recently pledged women get together and do a Habitat for Humanity project or something of the like. Not only would they be doing something that's actually NEEDED instead of a bunch of useless crafts that probably get tossed out, the NMs would be seeing from the jump that they are part of a Panhellenic COMMUNITY - not just their sorority.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootyhoo View Post
On my campus we're starting a NPC philanthropy. We plan on a having a field day this fall to promote it and each sorority has to have a minimum number of girls participate. We want to keep it fun and competitive but not pit the sororities against each other like in all the other on campus functions. Soooo we've decided to have 1-2 girls from every house on each team. It is a way to meet girls from other houses and work together. I'm really excited for the experience and think it'll be great!
Our campus does this in the spring each year. All the sororities donate as many prom dresses/formal dresses as they can. Teenage girls who can't afford a prom dress then come to a little boutique we set up, staffed by members of all the sororities. We have everything there (shoes, earrings, clutches, etc.) and they get to pick out their perfect prom dress for free! Each sorority also donates a gift basket they can win while waiting to go dress "shopping".

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I absolutely love this idea!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy events are a great way to go. A couple of years back members from another sorority on campus came to our rescue when a huge fraternity party got rescheduled for the same evening as our philanthropy event. We were bummed because we were having a hard time getting guys (the usual target for philanthropy events) to sign up and when some friends on EC of the other sorority heard what happened they encouraged their members to get involved and offered incentives for them to sign up and attend our event.

We ended up having a great turn out and it was a huge success. I was talking to one of my friends in the other house about it later after telling her how grateful we were and her response spoke volumes:

"Sure some things get competitive and recruitment can get catty but philanthropy is something that can be respected and supported by members of all organizations across the board - No matter the letter we're all greek together"<- I know she's cheesy, but i love her for it