GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,453
3 members and 1,450 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

US Presidential Election 2016

...because there was no thread dedicated to its discussion.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 03-20-2016, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
...because there was no thread dedicated to its discussion.
There kinda was, but I'm noticing it was removed. Anyway, as of now I've decided not to vote this election. I have my reasons, and I'm still holding out for a third party candidate, but I'm definitely not voting for any of the current candidates.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
There kinda was, but I'm noticing it was removed. Anyway, as of now I've decided not to vote this election. I have my reasons, and I'm still holding out for a third party candidate, but I'm definitely not voting for any of the current candidates.
I'm actually curious as to how none of the five still active would be acceptable. I can easily imagine those for whom neither Trump nor Clinton would be acceptable or even Trump/Clinton/Bernie would be unacceptable, but together Clinton and Bernie seem to cover everyone who voted Democrat in the last election and Cruz/Kasich every one who voted Republican in the last election. (Trump is from Alpha Centauri in that regard)...
Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'm actually curious as to how none of the five still active would be acceptable. I can easily imagine those for whom neither Trump nor Clinton would be acceptable or even Trump/Clinton/Bernie would be unacceptable, but together Clinton and Bernie seem to cover everyone who voted Democrat in the last election and Cruz/Kasich every one who voted Republican in the last election. (Trump is from Alpha Centauri in that regard)...
For me, it's not whether they are acceptable, it's whether they are fit to be the top leader of this country. I think Bernie has the best ideas, Clinton has a strong political resume, Kasich is a good Congressman, but personally I don't feel either is fit for POTUS.

Cruz is not a good politician (IMO) and Trump is a joke (in many people's opinions).
Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For me, it's not whether they are acceptable, it's whether they are fit to be the top leader of this country. I think Bernie has the best ideas, Clinton has a strong political resume, Kasich is a good Congressman, but personally I don't feel either is fit for POTUS.

Cruz is not a good politician (IMO) and Trump is a joke (in many people's opinions).
You sound like a toddler holding his breath in the midst of a temper tantrum. Not voting at all is not going to give you a candidate you like better, nor is it going to help our country in any way. If you can't get on board with a third party, write someone in that you do like. Our forefathers died for you to have the right to vote. Respect their sacrifice.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
You sound like a toddler holding his breath in the midst of a temper tantrum. Not voting at all is not going to give you a candidate you like better, nor is it going to help our country in any way. If you can't get on board with a third party, write someone in that you do like. Our forefathers died for you to have the right to vote. Respect their sacrifice.
Choosing to not vote has nothing to do with respect. I know people who chose not to vote in 2004 between Bush and Kerry; that's their choice and if they felt neither candidate was worthy of their vote, then I respect that.

Voting is a privilege and one that I've been proud to have for several elections now. This election, however, I wouldn't feel proud to vote for any of the candidates; I feel like we deserve better as a country. Why would I vote for Clinton to block Trump from getting it, when I feel neither is worthy in the first place? If it comes down to those two candidates - and it's shaping up that way - I could care less either way who gets it.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I repeat what I said in another thread. You are not limited to only Democrat and Republican.

There will be a Libertarian candidate on the ballot in all 50 states. There will probably be a Constitution Party candidate and others."

Can they win? Not likely (well, perhaps Libertarian, but I doubt it). However, isn't it worth our time to show the major parties they are not representing us well and it's time to change?

And if all of us who don't think either of the major party candidates is suited for president actually voted for one we did believe to be better, the message would be very powerful.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

So you won't be voting for president because you're holding your breath waiting for the perfect candidate. Fine. Will you be voting for your downline candidates or are you holding out for perfection there too?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Democrat here...

I'm a big government Liberal. I live in the county immediately north of Washington DC (Montgomery County, MD) and have voted for two Republicans in my life... I still haven't decided on who I'm voting for in the Maryland Democratic Primary and I'm probably going to vote strategically rather than necessarily for the candidate that I necessarily prefer.

I have an overriding rule regardless of Party in that every president of the United States has served as VP, US Sen, US HoR, (in the) Cabinet, State Governor or Army General and I see no reason for that to change. The last time one of the major parties proposed a candidate that didn't fit that was 1940. As such I opposed both Jesse Jackson Jr.(D) and Pat Robertson(R).

I'm trying to imagine what the Republican Party Leadership is going through, the comparison with Trump doesn't seem to be either Bernie Sanders (who is a known quantity that has worked with the Democratic Establishment for decades) *or* Jesse Jackson Jr., but rather if in 2008, Lyndon Larouche had been beating both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama...
Old 03-21-2016, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I always vote. Always. Both in the primaries and in the elections. I've missed voting in one primary, and that is it.

One candidate in each race is going to win. Some years my task is to pick the best of the possibilities even though my enthusiasm is not very high. Other years I enthusiastically get behind a candidate.

I don't buy the position that it doesn't matter which wins. Of course it does! And there are many, many ways to be an involved citizen after the election is over to bring pressure to bear for policies I believe are beneficial for the country.

Yes, it is a privilege to vote. But is is also a duty and responsibility as a citizen. After all, it is our country and its citizens that are at stake!

I'm another life-long Democrat. And proud to be a liberal. BTW, where is all that "free stuff" I'm supposed to be getting? :-D

Chi Omega
Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I repeat what I said in another thread. You are not limited to only Democrat and Republican.

There will be a Libertarian candidate on the ballot in all 50 states. There will probably be a Constitution Party candidate and others."

Can they win? Not likely (well, perhaps Libertarian, but I doubt it). However, isn't it worth our time to show the major parties they are not representing us well and it's time to change?

And if all of us who don't think either of the major party candidates is suited for president actually voted for one we did believe to be better, the message would be very powerful.
Sorry, Tess, but the Libertarians are worse than the five obvious options. Prime example: Rand Paul crashed and burned.

I find many of these third party candidates as dangerous as the reality star who is running. They just don't have his big mouth.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
I'm another life-long Democrat. And proud to be a liberal. BTW, where is all that "free stuff" I'm supposed to be getting? :-D
That's what I keep saying!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So you won't be voting for president because you're holding your breath waiting for the perfect candidate. Fine. Will you be voting for your downline candidates or are you holding out for perfection there too?
I'm not looking for a perfect candidate, I'm looking for one that I feel is fit for the position. I'm just not feeling it this time for either candidate.

I don't feel that people who make a conscious decision to not vote - it's a choice, not a requirement - should be criticized. It's not like I'm being lazy, or forgot about it, or it wasn't worth my time. I thought about it - am still thinking about it - and did my research, and it still comes down to a choice.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not looking for a perfect candidate, I'm looking for one that I feel is fit for the position. I'm just not feeling it this time for either candidate.

I don't feel that people who make a conscious decision to not vote - it's a choice, not a requirement - should be criticized. It's not like I'm being lazy, or forgot about it, or it wasn't worth my time. I thought about it - am still thinking about it - and did my research, and it still comes down to a choice.
I'm not criticizing. It's your choice. Just wonder why it wouldn't be preferable to pick the candidate who comes closest to your desired view. Wouldn't that be better than letting those tho do vote -- and may/may not feel anything close to your views -- determine things?
~ Luke 19:10
Old 03-22-2016, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Sorry, Tess, but the Libertarians are worse than the five obvious options. Prime example: Rand Paul crashed and burned.

I find many of these third party candidates as dangerous as the reality star who is running. They just don't have his big mouth.
I never saw Rand Paul as truly libertarian. Those who don't have the courage of their convictions, who want the Republican mantle while they push against it, are useless, in my book.

What makes Johnson different from most third party candidates is that he knows who's who in the Republican party, but was willing to tell them where to get off.