GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,401
3 members and 1,398 guests
aangelasuasd942, janesstexxda745
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Alabama Recruitment

I will be transferring to UA in the fall.Iwaswondering: since I will be transferring, does this make my chances of getting into a sorority slimmer? I have above a 3.3 GPA so I think I'm good in that area. But since I will be an upperclassmen will I have less of a chance of getting a bid or even invited to the rest of rush week?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM

If by UA you mean the University of Alabama, it is traditionally a very competitive recruitment. Your chances won't be any easier as a sophomore, but they aren't shot to hell either. I would strongly recommend obtaining 2 personal recommendations to each chapter, and keeping an open mind to all chapters on campus as they are all huge and engage in the same types of activities. Your only chance of getting a bid is to go through recruitment. Good luck to you.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is what Bama's Panhellenic website says:

Alabama utilizes a secondary quota that separates upperclassman from incoming freshman. A dual quota system is used specifically to place upperclassmen potential members. Its purpose is to give upperclassmen and transfer students a greater opportunity to pledge during Formal Recruitment.

More info is at: http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.p...id=20&Itemid=8

Alabama does have a very competitive recruitment, and even with the upperclassman quota, your options might be more limited. As already advised, approach it with a very open mind in that you are willing to give all sororities a look and an opportunity. Recommendations are an absolute must, not an option. Keep the GPA up and read the threads here on GC about how to put your best foot forward. SEC recruitment can be tougher for a sophomore, but the ones I know personally who have rushed in the last couple of years had successful recruitments! Best of luck to you!

Also, here is a link to GC info about upperclassmen quota so you can understand it better. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=121221

Last edited by greekdee; 02-13-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

3.3 is......adequate. 3.0 is considered the floor and some chapters, I hear, prefer to start with 3.5.
Sophomore is not that big of a deal, especially if you're transferring. As said, recs are required. REQUIRED. Keep all your options open - don't automatically discount any sorority. Tent talk is vicious at UA, and includes some of the most fantastic fairy tales I've ever heard anywhere.

Your opinions will change from day to day, too. In the end, go with your heart. And if formal recruitment doesn't work out, COB sometimes works better for upperclassmen than formal.

Best of luck, and Roll Tide!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My options are all open. But I will be coming in as a junior (I'm a sophomore at my community college right now). I've had a 3.5 every semester I've been there. This past semester was the first time I had below a 3.5. So my transcript looks nice.
But I'm worried that none of the sororities will want a junior
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

No sugar coating here. Most of them probably won't want a junior with a lower GPA, so expect heavy cuts based on year in school and grades if you have under a 3.5. The school will recalculate your GPA, so it may be under/over what your community college calculates. UA's GPA is what the sororities will consider.

SEC sorority recruitments are very competitive and you've got your best shot as a freshman, with very limited returns as an upperclassman. Even with a dual quota system, you're still a junior at the upper end of your time in school. But if you want to join a sorority, going through recruitment is the only way to join. If it doesn't work out in formal, there may be a few sororities with open spots during the year who will hold their own informal recruitment. Formal recruitment is your best shot to start off because it provides the opportunity to meet all of the chapters.

You know what you're up against, so give it a shot. I'll be very happy for you if you get a bid. But I'll be very surprised if you get a bid from formal recruitment. Not because you aren't a super or wonderful person, but you're coming in as an upperclassmen with a decent but not stellar GPA. You may have a chance at a bid during the spring if you're still on everyone's radar and were well-liked. It will also help to get involved on campus in the fall and get to know Greeks in your classes and campus organizations.

Last edited by adpiucf; 02-13-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if there are any sororities colonizing at Alabama this year? That is often an excellent way for nonfreshmen to find a home.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Does anyone know if there are any sororities colonizing at Alabama this year? That is often an excellent way for nonfreshmen to find a home.
No there are not.

And the last time one did colonize, colonization was probably 3x harder than normal rush.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Some may consider you as a junior and some may not. It just depends especially if you are friends with members already or maybe you had a not so great reputation in high school or your home town. If you know sorority members start letting them know you're coming now but not in a creepy way like if you haven't talked or facebooked in like two years and really don't know them, don't all of a sudden friend all of them and start talking recruitment recruitment recruitment all the time!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl24 View Post
My options are all open. But I will be coming in as a junior (I'm a sophomore at my community college right now). I've had a 3.5 every semester I've been there. This past semester was the first time I had below a 3.5. So my transcript looks nice.
But I'm worried that none of the sororities will want a junior
Have you already spoken to an advisor (or registrar, etc.) at Alabama? Do you know for sure you will classified as a Junior when you transfer? I only ask as sometimes not all classes taken at community college transfer to four year universities. Something to look into if you haven't already.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that you will register tonight for the Bama Panhellenic preview coming up in a few weeks. Here is a link for you:

http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.p...d=57&Itemid=42
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I hope that you will register tonight for the Bama Panhellenic preview coming up in a few weeks. Here is a link for you:

http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.p...d=57&Itemid=42

I have signed up already
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

A junior is definitely more difficult.
Start looking around now among your high school friends at UA - did any of them pledge a sorority? Try to connect with them when they come home. Same with friends at your junior college. Juniors who rush successfully often already know someone in the house.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
3.3 is......adequate. 3.0 is considered the floor and some chapters, I hear, prefer to start with 3.5.
Higher GPAs are an advantage in rush, I agree, but I feel as if a college GPA of 3.3 might be considered a little differently than a high school GPA of 3.3 -- I know I would consider it more predictive of college-level work if writing a rec for a transfer.

Only about 8 chapters at Bama had new member GPAs above a 3.3 this fall -- and of those, some just barely above a 3.3:

http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/documents...radeReport.pdf
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No there are not.

And the last time one did colonize, colonization was probably 3x harder than normal rush.
I don't know where rumors like ^this originate -- but this is just not true.

Greekdee is correct -- I know the last two colonizations at Bama have been great opportunities for upperclassmen.
Closed Thread